Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As stated, Im doing an LED Headlight upgrade.

Ive spoken with JW Speaker reps and a mounting bracket is unavailable ATM. Ive spoken with Motodemic, the maker of their brackets (triumph, duc, bmw) and they dont make brackets for metric cruisers. I was told by thwir rep that Im the first to ask for such a bracket.

Im looking into replacing the housing completely but have read on this forum how others have installed a LED headlight but dont say if theyve installed the bulb or actual headlight.

I have searched quite a bit and need help!

Once this is complete I will be sure to post the solution as I know Im not the only one looking to have a legit headlight upgrade in their Vulcan.

-Juggernaut
Update: FINISHED!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Everything I have seen was just replacing the bulb, not the whole headlight. I thought I seen a LED headlight out there somewhere. Good luck with it though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not confident in a single LED chinese replacement bulb.
The "good" bulbs are $50-$75 and still arent very proven in large 7" motorcycle housings.

JW Speaker make the HD Daymaker and for $250ish their brand is nearly half the cost as the HD branded version.

Its very bright!

Im in the works now fitting a bracket for the 8700 evo 2.
If that doesnt work I will replace the 7" housing with a housing from another bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also you can watch this video I found after I did mine.

It is made for a honda valkyrie but looks like the same as our Vulcans.
The bracket is $55.00 + shipping.

This is his Email\\

Josh Chambers <[email protected]>

I havent bought one because mine is still working fine but if it messes up I will be getting one to try out.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i just put a LED headlight bulb in. As others have stated, stay away from the cheap Chinese crap and sped decent money. I am so happy with my LED bulb.

I don't have too much info on it. I do know it a Lumens LED H4. Its not the "old" style with the stupid heat sink and fan, its their next generation one, it just has some little flexible heat straps on the back to disperse the heat. the light output is absolutely amazing and I can say the aim and focus of the headlight was greatly improved.

Here is a link for the bulb https://performanceimprovements.com/products/lumens-ultra-led-kits

·
Registered
1 Posts
As stated, Im doing an LED Headlight upgrade.

Ive spoken with JW Speaker reps and a mounting bracket is unavailable ATM. Ive spoken with Motodemic, the maker of their brackets (triumph, duc, bmw) and they dont make brackets for metric cruisers. I was told by thwir rep that Im the first to ask for such a bracket.

Im looking into replacing the housing completely but have read on this forum how others have installed a LED headlight but dont say if theyve installed the bulb or actual headlight.

I have searched quite a bit and need help!

Once this is complete I will be sure to post the solution as I know Im not the only one looking to have a legit headlight upgrade in their Vulcan.

-Juggernaut
Update: FINISHED!!
How did you do it? What parts did you use? I have that headlight (from hmmwv), but need to know how you got it in your Vulcan. I have a 2010 Nomad 1700. Please, sir. Any help would be AMAZING!

·
Registered
07 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2 Posts
How did you end up getting this to work? Did you purchase a mounting bracket of some kind? Or fabricate something? I want to do a similar install on my 07 Nomad 1600, but have no way of attaching the headlight to the bracket short of drilling into the headlight. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
922 Posts
I read on another thread where someone bought a bracket from an aftermarket company that makes it a direct fit. I can't remember the name of the company but it was a recent thread. They've been making them for the Vaqueros and finally made one for the 1600 too. It was $119 US so it would be over $200 by the time it got up here to Canada so I won't be ordering one but it is an option. If I can find it I'll post the link here.

Edit: Didn't find a thread with the link but the company that makes the adapter is Engineering Adapters.

https://engineeredadapters.com/product/vulcan-led-headlight-mounting-ring

·
Registered
07 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2 Posts
Alright, so for anyone looking to do this without paying 150 for the engineered adapters bracket, here is a solution. Only requirement is to have a buddy with a 3d printer.

When I replaced my headlight, I had the same issue as many others in that there was no actual way to attach the headlight fixture to the bike. Since the stock headlight fixture screwed directly into the mounting bracket, when switching to LED its hard to find a way to mount it. After looking online, I found this 3d printer file which is essentially a ring to go around the LED fixture.(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4549606) It then has blocks which can be screwed into the OEM mounting bracket. Then the headlight mounts up just as before. I had to slightly modify the 3d plan because it was slightly too tall for my headlight, causing the fixture to protrude out past the front of the headlight bucket significantly. I just cut down the printed bracket, but someone with some know how could modify it prior to printing and get you a nice clean result.

I then used JB Weld Plastic Structural adhesive to attach the ring to the headlight. All mounted up well and you can put the light into the original bucket housing with significantly less modification than some other options out there and for definitely a smaller price tag. After mounting the light back up, I'm still able to use the angle adjustment screws as originally designed, and the look of the housing itself does not have to change. I have been pulling on the light to see if the JB Weld will hold it solidly and so far I haven't been able to budge the light at all. Went on a couple short rides so far and light has not moved a bit.

I think the project turned out pretty well, and I love the brightness of the new lights. I'll update in here if I have any issues with the set up. Until then good luck everybody and see you out there!
20210402_112023.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you don't know anyone with a 3D printer, check your local library. Many of them now offer 3D printing. My local library will do it for 35 cents per meter of filament.

Reactions: NorthernRider

·
Super Moderator
922 Posts
Thanks vandiepena. I sent that link to a 3D printer here in town to get a quote. It sure would be nice to have better lighting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts