Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,im installing my 6 piece LED underglow kit this afternoon and i was wondering if anyone else had these and what seems to be the best places to mount the lights for maximum effect..My lights are the little strip types.Im Doing it my self and im a first timer and just looking for any suggestions,thanks in advance!!

this is the kit im trying to install
http://www.ledunderbody.com/Orange-Flexible-Motorcycle-LED-Lights.aspx

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My wife has a very similar kit on her bike.

We put four under the tank (two on each side, running along the 'lip' of the tank) and two under the rear fender.

I know it's not the best pic, but here you get the idea;

In that pic I hadn't yet installed the LED strip on the front side of the tank, but you can see how it looks reflecting off of the cylinder heads, and illuminating the rear tire.

Here's the bike in the sunlight (LED's off, not real visible when it's bright out anyway)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife has a very similar kit on her bike.

We put four under the tank (two on each side, running along the 'lip' of the tank) and two under the rear fender.

I know it's not the best pic, but here you get the idea;

In that pic I hadn't yet installed the LED strip on the front side of the tank, but you can see how it looks reflecting off of the cylinder heads, and illuminating the rear tire.

Here's the bike in the sunlight (LED's off, not real visible when it's bright out anyway)

Thanks a lot that's great advice!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kane, I have installed LED lights on my 900 Custom from Fastlightsleds.com and they are about the same as the ones you quote above. Remember to clean the surfaces of all grease, dirt and grime before you use the adhesive back tape to mount the LEDs.

The ones that I purchased had 4 18" strips and 4 12" strips, a control box, and a multifunction remote control. The remote control has a 4 speed flash mode and a 4 speed fade mode to it. The LEDs are mounted via a 3M adhesive back tape that is already attached to the LED strip.

I put an 18" strip underneath of the fuel tank on each side. I then put an 18" strip on the underside of each of the chrome detail strips on the rear fender. I put a 12" strip on each fork facing into the wheel. For this I spliced and soldered the wires together, used heat shrink to waterproof the connection. I removed the front fender and ran the right side LED feed wire under over top of the fender support bracket to tie into the left side LED. The heat shrink will act as a buffer to protect the wires when I mounted the front fender back on.

I put 1 of the 12" strips on the frame cross tube that is in front of the motor. The last of the 12" strips are mounted on the frame cross tube that is behind the motor. It's a very tight fit to get you hands in there to mount them but the LEDs reflect into the motor and other chrome accents quite well.

The LEDs that came in my kit had wire connections on both ends. ie you can daisy chain these into each other. I cut the wire off the end that I wasn't using and then used heat shrink to cover that exposed end for waterproofing purposes. Since the wires for the LEDs that I mounted on the front forks were too short I replaced them with longer ones. Again this took some very minor soldering skills and heat shrink. The LEDs that I mounted under the fuel tank and the back chrome pieces on the rear fender were way too long so I shortened those. I didn't want all of that extra wire hanging around, plus it makes it look a bit more professional.

In this setup the LEDs light up a lot of the internals of the engine compartment then the front and rear tires. I plan on getting some more to mount on the underside of the bike frame but I wasn't sure how long they would last there. I figured that this would be a good start.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Thanks a lot that's great advice!!
No problem! Unfortunately, hers quit working. I don't know what happened, but we had her bike stored for the winter (in the winter months she doesn't ride much, if she does she'll just ride on the back of mine), and when we pulled it out of storage and got it ready for spring they started acting up. You can turn them on, but you can't change the colors or turn them off. Who knows!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kane, I have installed LED lights on my 900 Custom from Fastlightsleds.com and they are about the same as the ones you quote above. Remember to clean the surfaces of all grease, dirt and grime before you use the adhesive back tape to mount the LEDs.

The ones that I purchased had 4 18" strips and 4 12" strips, a control box, and a multifunction remote control. The remote control has a 4 speed flash mode and a 4 speed fade mode to it. The LEDs are mounted via a 3M adhesive back tape that is already attached to the LED strip.

I put an 18" strip underneath of the fuel tank on each side. I then put an 18" strip on the underside of each of the chrome detail strips on the rear fender. I put a 12" strip on each fork facing into the wheel. For this I spliced and soldered the wires together, used heat shrink to waterproof the connection. I removed the front fender and ran the right side LED feed wire under over top of the fender support bracket to tie into the left side LED. The heat shrink will act as a buffer to protect the wires when I mounted the front fender back on.

I put 1 of the 12" strips on the frame cross tube that is in front of the motor. The last of the 12" strips are mounted on the frame cross tube that is behind the motor. It's a very tight fit to get you hands in there to mount them but the LEDs reflect into the motor and other chrome accents quite well.

The LEDs that came in my kit had wire connections on both ends. ie you can daisy chain these into each other. I cut the wire off the end that I wasn't using and then used heat shrink to cover that exposed end for waterproofing purposes. Since the wires for the LEDs that I mounted on the front forks were too short I replaced them with longer ones. Again this took some very minor soldering skills and heat shrink. The LEDs that I mounted under the fuel tank and the back chrome pieces on the rear fender were way too long so I shortened those. I didn't want all of that extra wire hanging around, plus it makes it look a bit more professional.

In this setup the LEDs light up a lot of the internals of the engine compartment then the front and rear tires. I plan on getting some more to mount on the underside of the bike frame but I wasn't sure how long they would last there. I figured that this would be a good start.
That's extremely helpful thanks so much!! Do you have any pictures of your bike? Sounds sweet!

·
Registered
702 Posts
blue light special !

The wife's VN 900 has a very similar kit. We put a long one under each side of the gas tank to reflect off the heads/air cleaner cover/electrical cover. There's one each side between the saddlebags and the fender to illuminate the rear wheel, a short one under the sissy bar cross member to highlight the rear fender, one on each side of the chrome radiator cover to throw some blue up front. Pics to follow........

Just a rough idea of how they look, once it gets dark outside, I'll roll it out and see if I can get better pics

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't buy a kit I bought the led strips and made my own. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help everyone,tips and pictures helped alot..!!! i started my install about 7pm Friday night and finished just after midnight..took me a while but i got it all done..and best part i did it myself and saved me some cash plus i got a cool sense of accomplishment haha.Here is a not so great pic,ill throw some better ones up,was too tired afterwards

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
One more suggestion I havent seen mentioned yet. When mounting to the tank, I used spade connectors so tank can easily be removed without having to cut and resplice wires. I also used the flex LEDs like lemonhead. Under both rear fender supports, both sides of tank, under both lower frame rails, and behind radiator on bottom cross bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I used pods for mine instead of strips, just found after seeing a couple buddies use strips that the pods had a better long term life. I did two pods on each side of the tank located so they would reflect on the chrome top of the motor. Joe Florida on ebay. The entire kit was 25$, can't complain about quality, and they don't burn out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I used pods for mine instead of strips, just found after seeing a couple buddies use strips that the pods had a better long term life. I did two pods on each side of the tank located so they would reflect on the chrome top of the motor. Joe Florida on ebay. The entire kit was 25$, can't complain about quality, and they don't burn out.
Interesting, thanks for posting this. I found Joe Friday on eBay and he has a bunch of pods.

The one thing holding me back is my failure to understand how the pods are powered.

Do you have any info or photos of how you connected them to the battery?
I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing and am terrified that I would hook something up incorrectly and damage my bike.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Unfortunately, hers quit working.
Well Roman if they are the ones that are in the first link, I have a lot of experience with them type of LED’S, I have been buying them for a few years now for my fish tanks, we buy the blue ones to make moon lights, we get a strip for like $5.00 dollars on eBay and comes with power supply. I have experience them shorting out and over time the rubber just falls apart and the metallic strip that is inside the rubber which puts the lights in series just cracks over time. I went ahead and dished out the cash at auto zone and bought there light strips, they are made more for Vibration and flex a lot better Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well Roman if they are the ones that are in the first link, I have a lot of experience with them type of LED’S, I have been buying them for a few years now for my fish tanks, we buy the blue ones to make moon lights, we get a strip for like $5.00 dollars on eBay and comes with power supply. I have experience them shorting out and over time the rubber just falls apart and the metallic strip that is inside the rubber which puts the lights in series just cracks over time. I went ahead and dished out the cash at auto zone and bought there light strips, they are made more for Vibration and flex a lot better Just my 2 cents
Yeah my moon lights are out on my 75 gallon. What kind of fish do you keep?

I was looking at the autozone ones just the other day! May look into it. Although on the wifes bike, the LED strips are fine, it's the 'control box' that isn't working. You can turn it on, but not off, and you can't change the colors like you normally can.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yeah my moon lights are out on my 75 gallon. What kind of fish do you keep?

I was looking at the autozone ones just the other day! May look into it. Although on the wifes bike, the LED strips are fine, it's the 'control box' that isn't working. You can turn it on, but not off, and you can't change the colors like you normally can.
Ahhh, A friend has the ones that can change colors and all kinds of other strobes it can do. I used just one color. for fish check sig it has a youtube link, I have raised so many fish to many to list :) Done both salt and fresh

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ahhh, A friend has the ones that can change colors and all kinds of other strobes it can do. I used just one color. for fish check sig it has a youtube link, I have raised so many fish to many to list :) Done both salt and fresh
Cool!

I've never done a salt setup but keeping fish is my second hobby too. I've got a 75 gallon Mbuna tank with Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow lab), Cynotilapia afra, and white-tail acei. Also have a smaller 29 gallon south american mixed tank, and I breed the L. caeruleus and the White-Tail Acei. Usually get enough off of those guys to pay for the hobby so hey; that works! (Wish I could find a way to 'monetize' riding a motorcycle to make THAT hobby break even! LOL)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting this. I found Joe Friday on eBay and he has a bunch of pods.

The one thing holding me back is my failure to understand how the pods are powered.

Do you have any info or photos of how you connected them to the battery?
I know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing and am terrified that I would hook something up incorrectly and damage my bike.

Thanks,
Rod
This Picture is the best way to explain it. All the wires go into a collector box, and then one wire goes to the battery with an inline fuse, the switch also comes out of one of the collector boxes. Its simple when you get it in front of you and he sends literally everything you need in the packet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
This Picture is the best way to explain it. All the wires go into a collector box, and then one wire goes to the battery with an inline fuse, the switch also comes out of one of the collector boxes. Its simple when you get it in front of you and he sends literally everything you need in the packet.
Oh, OK. He sends the fuse and everything?
That would make it easy.

Rod

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh, OK. He sends the fuse and everything?
That would make it easy.

Rod
Yea he sends the pods, collector boxes, inline fuse, on/off button, extra wire if needed, and all the little connectors needed to hook it all together, alone with a good set of instructions. Couldn't go wrong in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts