Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An idea has come to me that I would like to explore. I hear the LED turn signals require a diode rig of some sort to keep all four of them from flashing simultaneously.

If a person were to hook all this up with a switch that would take the diodes out of the circuit, causing all to flash together, would it be feasible to do so the turn signal could function as flashers?

Mount a small bracket somewhere easily accessible with a waterproof switch to turn your signals to flashers when needed and back to turn signals where appropriate?

Ideas? Opinions? Criticism? Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
It's the single indicator lamp that causes the issue. The incandescent lamp allows the very low draw LEDs to cross talk. The diodes act as one-way valves permitting electricty to only flow in one direction at a time and not across the bulb. A trip to Radio Shack for a package and a few minutes wiring, soldering and heat shrinking the connections resolves the issue. Then you still need to address the blinking rate of the flasher. When going to LEDs they flasher rate increases dramatically. So you need to either create a falsh additional draw or go to a solid state flasher that isn't load dependant. Good Luck. I hope I answered your questions.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the single indicator lamp that causes the issue. The incandescent lamp allows the very low draw LEDs to cross talk. The diodes act as one-way valves permitting electricty to only flow in one direction at a time and not across the bulb. A trip to Radio Shack for a package and a few minutes wiring, soldering and heat shrinking the connections resolves the issue. Then you still need to address the blinking rate of the flasher. When going to LEDs they flasher rate increases dramatically. So you need to either create a falsh additional draw or go to a solid state flasher that isn't load dependant. Good Luck. I hope I answered your questions.

Understand your post completely. This was just a theoretical idea to have turn signals and flashers by doing some manipulation and creative wiring. To my way of thinking it shouldn't be too hard to wire a switch into the circuit to take the diodes out of circuit and put them back in at your discretion.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Absolutly. It can be done. Just a length of wiring to the selected switch location. You'll need a DPDT switch to take both diodes out, OR the unit will only work with one directional flasher selected. I think. Sorry, long day. I suggest you temp wire it, test and see what you like/dislike about it before committing yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts