Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dumb question. What am I doing wrong???
I have a 2010 vulcan 900 I just put LED turn signals front and rear on it with resistors on each signal light. It blinked at the propped speed for about 5 seconds then started blinking fast. What else do I do? Is there a flasher upgrade I have to do? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for listening, any feed back would be great.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There should be a resistor with each LED. They can't run at 12-14V. Did you also put a resistor between the turn signal lamp and ground?

As noted above, the easiest way to correct the issue is to change out the flasher.

·
Registered
273 Posts
my bulbs were plug and play. no resistor needed. if the bulbs you got cant run at 12-14 volts, you need some different bulbs. if you have to start adding special resistors and stuff, definately get some other bulbs.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
my bulbs were plug and play. no resistor needed. if the bulbs you got cant run at 12-14 volts, you need some different bulbs. if you have to start adding special resistors and stuff, definately get some other bulbs.
Those LED bulbs you have DO have resistors in them, they were just nice enough to include it and package it all together with whatever brand you have. Others have to add the resistors themselves! The LED's themselves use very little electricity and thus don't run at 12-14v. The only thing 'different' about your bulbs is that the resistor is built in to the bulb itself.

That's also the reason you get the 'hyperflash'. Your basic flasher is designed to run based on load, when it gets loaded up, it flashes. When you have significantly less load, it flashes faster!

Some people install 'load balancers' which, to me, are kind of backwards. Load balancers apply the amount of load needed for your stock flashers to work; so you get the nice LED's but don't actually end up taking any load off of your electrical system- one of the advantages of running LED'. Replacing with a 'digital' flasher or one that's been designed to work with LED's makes way more sense.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those LED bulbs you have DO have resistors in them, they were just nice enough to include it and package it all together with whatever brand you have. Others have to add the resistors themselves! The LED's themselves use very little electricity and thus don't run at 12-14v. The only thing 'different' about your bulbs is that the resistor is built in to the bulb itself.

That's also the reason you get the 'hyperflash'. Your basic flasher is designed to run based on load, when it gets loaded up, it flashes. When you have significantly less load, it flashes faster!

Some people install 'load balancers' which, to me, are kind of backwards. Load balancers apply the amount of load needed for your stock flashers to work; so you get the nice LED's but don't actually end up taking any load off of your electrical system- one of the advantages of running LED'. Replacing with a 'digital' flasher or one that's been designed to work with LED's makes way more sense.
yes, i know that okay. they have load resistors in them. take a chill pill man. all i was saying is that its alot easier to use plug and play bulbs. sorry if i stepped on toes there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
yes, i know that okay. they have load resistors in them. take a chill pill man. all i was saying is that its alot easier to use plug and play bulbs. sorry if i stepped on toes there.
Was simply making a point of clarification. Nobody (well, not me anyway) was offended. It's all good. A chill pill sounds like a good idea but maybe you ought to reevaluate who should be taking it brother! Remember you can't convey tone over the Internet. To a novice, your post could be confusing to someone who would go searching for 12v LEDs, so I clarified that its simply a bulb with the LEDs and resistors all in one housing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
gotcha. its all good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I like your name romans5.8!
Years ago my dad belonged to the Christian motorcycle association.
(B.C. Canada). Good to run into another brother

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this what you purchased for you bike?

The link you have is broken so I'm not really sure if this will work.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I like your name romans5.8!
Years ago my dad belonged to the Christian motorcycle association.
(B.C. Canada). Good to run into another brother
Cool!

Yeah CMA is a great organization, they are doing some pretty cool things all around the world. The chapter close to me (that I belong to) is pretty decent, lots of good folks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Is this what you purchased for you bike?

The link you have is broken so I'm not really sure if this will work.

Thanks
yes. that is exactly what i put on mine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
here is the corrected link....[ame]http://www.amazon.com/2-Pin-Flasher-Relay-Signal-Kawasaki/dp/B004XN8MOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365532032&sr=8-1&keywords=kawasaki+flasher+relay[/ame]

·
Registered
273 Posts
your welcome. its a quick plug and play. works great.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts