Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

LED replacements for Tail Light and Turn Signals?

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  kwastlund 
#1 ·
So, now that I have my VN2KLT, I'm looking to do what I did on my old VN900LT and replace the tail light and turn signals with LEDs.

Is there a replacement LED board for the tail light, that uses the existing housing, and does NOT have integrated turn signals in it? Just a bunch of red LEDs? I remember having a bugger of a time finding one for the VN900LT.

Also, what turn signal LED replacement bulbs do you suggest? And will I need to replace the stock flasher unit?

#2 ·
I don't know about being able to get just the brake light board replacement. But I do know you have to replace the stock flasher once you install LED blinkers.

I went with the LED brake light w/integrated flashers, but also kept the existing flashers and converted them to LED's. Haven't changed out the stock flasher yet because the weather has been too nice to have any desire to tear down the bike to gain access to the flasher. It's below the shock and to do the job will be probably a few hours down time.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I went with the whole tail light enclosure LED brake/turn combo. And decided to hold off on installing the LED flasher for now.

Without the LED flasher the turn signals flash super quickly. Some guys don't mind others prefer the longer flash rate. I'll probably ride without until winter then I'll swap out the flasher.

Here's a couple pics. Don't mind the dirty bike, haha...its ridden a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Now for Stupid Question #248:

How the heck do you open up the tail light assembly? Remove the red cover? You know...so you can change the light bulb if it burns out? Buggered if I can figure it out.

Also: The stock flasher unit - is it a 2 or 3 pin flasher? One that could be replaced by this: http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm#Standard_DOT_Flasher

#8 · (Edited)
You gain access by taking off the entire housing. Requires you to unbolt from the fender. Bolts of course are in the inside fender. IIRC there's a total of 4 holding it on. And there's a plastic wiring harness cover that comes out to.
Once the housing is off its a matter of just turning the bulb one way to release it from the housing. Much like most automotive bulbs.
I would also recommend replacing the license plate bulb at the same time.

It's an easy 2 beer job. Depending on how fast you drink.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
So, I bought this from Amazon and it is DOT compliant. Putting it on the bike was a bit tricky... Had to remove underside plastic cover with 3 allen screws. That uncovered the 3rd weld bolt in the bottom center of the RCL housing. Once off, had to remove the old lamp back up reflector/lens combo with 2 screws (the new one didn't come with one). Pretty easy though... The trick was with the wire harness. The lamp came with a cheap male end and the bike wire harness was male. Well, 2 males don't work.... So, I took the 2 black wires - probably ground, 2 red, probably hot, and the left over wires one blue and one green and spliced them. In short (pun intended) it worked! I have a new tail light and a new brake light! I didn't hook up the turn signals yet but will get to that. Also bought an LED flasher unit to POP the led's at stop lights for added safety.

Attachments

#13 ·
I know this is an older thread, but I have a 2004 VN2000 and I'm looking to upgrade the blinkers/tail light for better visibility/brightness. Lots of good comments here on how to do it and with what, but I was wondering if anyone has any links to the parts needed? I see one link posted in this thread for flasher but the link doesn't work for me.

If anyone can post links to what flasher/brake-n-blinker/blinker lights to buy I'd appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.