Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals / brake lights on the Vulcan S seem undersized to me, or is it just my imagination? Are the replacement LED bulbs that much significantly better? Thanks .

·
Registered
299 Posts
The turn signals / brake lights on the Vulcan S seem undersized to me, or is it just my imagination? Are the replacement LED bulbs that much significantly better? Thanks .
I use these turn signals bulbs -
AMAZENAR 2-Pack 1056 BAU15S 7507...

You will also need the relay

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
I used those "AMAZENAR" bulbs as well. They are as bright as heck! I'd say twice a vivid as those stock bulbs. (Blinding to look at almost)
Well worth the money. The brake light is bigger than I see on most bikes on the road. Especially the people going around with those "thin line" lights and just looking to be rear ended.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrCow -

Thanks for the detailed information. Did I understand the specs correctly - 600 lumens?? Do these LED's just plug in as a straight replacement for the original bulb? Thanks - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
texasnurse -

I noticed that the Vulcan S turn signal housings are clear (and small) almost immediately and did not like that. Even my ancient little 125 scooter has much bigger amber housings. What would you recommend for replacement housings for the Vulcan? Thanks - Randy

·
Registered
299 Posts
MrCow -

Thanks for the detailed information. Did I understand the specs correctly - 600 lumens?? Do these LED's just plug in as a straight replacement for the original bulb? Thanks - Randy
these ones -

and yes they are just plug and play
just remove the old ones and place these
they seem to be a tight fit for the housing but they fit just fine.
i cant say if they would work the same if you going to replace the housing though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
At just about 40mm long, those bulbs will be a tight fit. They’ll work, but will compress into the socket when you put the cover on. The original bulbs are 35mm, but are rounded, where as the LED bulbs are square on the end. This is where it hits the cover, on the square edges.
If you think the signals are small, you should see some of the crap the aftermarket sells. The stock lights are DOT approved.
People wear all black, put the smallest lights on their bikes, or smoke out all their lights and then wonder why a cager didn’t see them? Duh! Darwin wins again!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks MrCow -

Wow 600 lumens sounds REALLY bright! So in your experience the LED touching the housing doesn't cause any problems? I might try getting both the LED's AND bigger amber housings if anyone has experience doing that, I'll wait to see what others have to say. Thanks again for your detailed info. - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vulcan Head -

Laughing at your Darwin comment here! The length details you gave were very helpful, especially knowing how much space there is with the original housings. I'll have to see what additional info I can dig up on larger amber housings. I guess I should NOT assume they'll all meet DOT standards. Lots more to think about and consider before I decide what to do . . . Thanks for your comments. - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found a smaller LED that is just 22.78 mm tall but is only 270 lumens. It's pictured side by side with the original bulb and is definitely smaller. This is at SuperBrightLEDs.com and is their

7507 (PY21W) LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Tower - BAU15S Bulb.

Is this bright enough to be worth the effort, anyone know? Thanks - Randy

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
When you put an amber bulb behind an amber lens (or red behind a red lens), the lens will filter out that color. Those high lumens you are reading about don't all come thru, just the other colors not filtered by the lens. A white bulb should be used with a colored lens for maximum transmission. If you have clear or smoked lens, then you want bulbs of the appropriate color.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sabre-t -

Thanks for explaining that to me. So which is the most effective alternative, a white LED with an amber lens/housing, or an amber LED with a clear lens/housing, such as the original turn signals on the Vulcan S?

I was assuming a larger amber housing (such as on my old scooter) would produce more visibility than a smaller clear housing (which is stock on the Vulcan S), but after reading your comment now I'm not sure what to think. Is a higher lumens spec always better/more effective? Does the amount of surface area of the lense/housing improve visibility?

I appreciate you calling this to my attention. - Randy

·
Registered
904 Posts
Vulcan Head -

Laughing at your Darwin comment here! The length details you gave were very helpful, especially knowing how much space there is with the original housings. I'll have to see what additional info I can dig up on larger amber housings. I guess I should NOT assume they'll all meet DOT standards. Lots more to think about and consider before I decide what to do . . . Thanks for your comments. - Randy
Hey, no problem. Nothing wrong with trying to be safe out there! What Sabre-t says is correct. Use a coloured bulb behind a clear lense and a clear bulb behind a coloured lense. Those Amazenar bulbs will work. They did for me. The bulb socket is a spring loaded, twist to lock unit. So when you put them in and put the lense back on, they will push in a bit. Not the ideal situation, but that’s it. If you can find shorter LED’s that are bright enough for you, that would be ideal. Here’s a couple of pictures of them on my KVS. Can you tell which are the stock bulbs? No comparison!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Sabre-t -

Thanks for explaining that to me. So which is the most effective alternative, a white LED with an amber lens/housing, or an amber LED with a clear lens/housing, such as the original turn signals on the Vulcan S?

I was assuming a larger amber housing (such as on my old scooter) would produce more visibility than a smaller clear housing (which is stock on the Vulcan S), but after reading your comment now I'm not sure what to think. Is a higher lumens spec always better/more effective? Does the amount of surface area of the lense/housing improve visibility?

I appreciate you calling this to my attention. - Randy
I'm not sure which would be more effective, but I would think a colored bulb behind a clear lens would be best, followed colored bulb behind a smoked lens. More overall light transmission, I would think, than thru a colored lens.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again Vulcan Head -

After seeing yours and others comments, I'm inclined to stick with the original clear housings and put in replacement amber LEDs, especially since you have verified that even being a bit on the big side, the bright LEDs will fit ok. Your photos were excellent, no comparison indeed!!

I was initially disappointed with the Vulcan S housings being so small compared to older bikes I'm familiar with, but hopefully going with the highest LED lumens spec will compensate for that. - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sabre-t, clear lense/housing and brightest amber LED is what I will go with, I appreciate your help. - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MrCow -

Did you use the same AMAZENAR amber LEDs on both frönt and rear? Thanks again for your info, I am going to follow your kind suggestion. - Randy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MrCow -

Got it! And the fast flash relay as well. Thanks ! - Randy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts