Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've been thinking about putting orange/amber colored led lights under my tank and whatnot on my 09 special edition. My question is is there any specific brands you guys would recommend or would be the best buy?

Then also, if I just run a switch with an online fuse to the battery, that would be perfect wouldn't it? Or is there another way I should go about doing so?
Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
186 Posts
09VulcanSPED, I use Fast Lights LEDS on my 900 Custom which you can buy a kit or individual stips in 1' or 3' lengths. They have a multi-function remote to trigger the lights in 3 different modes or you can use a plain on/off switch. The strips have connections on both ends so you can daisy-chain them together. Fast Lights have a lifetime warranty if the product fails that they stand by. I had a strip fail and they sent me a replacement.

I have an accessory fuse block that I mounted on my bike and I wired the control unit to it. It beats building up wires on the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Under the seat you have 2 accessory connections that you can wire the lights to as well.

If you would like more details send me a PM and I will shot some photos and such your way.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Only reason I'm really asking about it is cause I was told to be careful because of stator problems? Is this true?

LED's draw so little current your stator won't even know they are on. Your idea of wiring them up leaves the possibility of the lights drawing the battery down if you forget to turn off the switch. If you do want them on while the bike is parked then use the accessory plugs available under the seat or in the headlight bucket and don't worry about running a special fused wire to the battery. You will still need a switch concealed somewhere to turn them on and off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
True that! LEDs dont draw current at all....

I got close to 10 LED strips (8inch each), and i leave them on while parked. Probably about 2/3 hours, and when its time to go home, my VN900 starts right away. Inline fuse and switch is a must, unless you wanna hook them up to your headlight, so that when you shut down your bike, those LEDs will also shut down.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
True that! LEDs dont draw current at all....

I got close to 10 LED strips (8inch each), and i leave them on while parked. Probably about 2/3 hours, and when its time to go home, my VN900 starts right away. Inline fuse and switch is a must, unless you wanna hook them up to your headlight, so that when you shut down your bike, those LEDs will also shut down.
The tail light circuit would be a better choice because you have hi and lo beams and that would turn your LED's on and off. The accessory circuit mentioned above has a 10 amp fuse protecting the wiring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The tail light circuit would be a better choice because you have hi and lo beams and that would turn your LED's on and off. The accessory circuit mentioned above has a 10 amp fuse protecting the wiring.
Yup, that also works.....they way i have set up, is a complete different line, with its on inline fuse and on/off switch. Makes things easier, and i can turn it on and off whenever i want to.

I only have a 3 amp fuse protecting this line though. Dont you think 10amp is a bit too much?

·
Registered
186 Posts
09VulcanSPED, if you read the well written stator sticky you will see that adding on LED lights will not harm your stator. Since my setup came with a wireless remote I made a connection that is not switched because I put the lights on for display purposes. The current draw is so little I can leave them on for 3 to 4 hours and the bike starts just fine. Since the current draw is so little I use a 5 amp fuse on my auxiliary fuse box and leave the factory accessory connections alone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only have a 3 amp fuse protecting this line though. Dont you think 10amp is a bit too much?
The fuse size was my Next question then! Lol thanks guys!! Also since we are in this topic with the stator questions, I've also heard putting the Hid headlights in is hard on the stator? That's also been an idea I've had lately!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The fuse size was my Next question then! Lol thanks guys!! Also since we are in this topic with the stator questions, I've also heard putting the Hid headlights in is hard on the stator? That's also been an idea I've had lately!

I use a 3amp fuse, and so far didnt have any issues.

Regarding the HID, i ordered mine on Friday, hopefully i'll have it tomorrow. Why would it be hard on the stator? Current draw, again, is less than stock. Stock is 50/65w, and HIDs are only 35w. Of course i got no experience with this, but its what i read and from experience from fellow riders? Anybody else with more knowledge about this matter maybe? Comments?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

If you add additional wattage to the bike's stator such as a light bar with standard bulbs or a sound system or heated grips, etc. then the stator is working OT to provide enough additional power to the bike's electrics. If you go with an HID or simply a brighter filament bulb and the wattage listed is the same as OEM then there's no additional load and the stator is happy. By eliminating the standard bulbs i.e. running lights, tail lights and turn signals, with LED's you give yourself a little insurance when adding other goodies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any part number or model that you can share with us (LEDs)? Im talking about Signal lights and stop light. I got one of Ebay, but its very dim, so i just let the OEM bulb instead.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use a 3amp fuse, and so far didnt have any issues.

Regarding the HID, i ordered mine on Friday, hopefully i'll have it tomorrow. Why would it be hard on the stator? Current draw, again, is less than stock. Stock is 50/65w, and HIDs are only 35w. Of course i got no experience with this, but its what i read and from experience from fellow riders? Anybody else with more knowledge about this matter maybe? Comments?
Again the stator sticky will help clear up most of your questions. The stator, by function, runs full out all of the time. The rectifier/regulator on the front of the bike takes care of any excess output from the stator. Hence why the thing is mounted up front to get as much cooling as possible. You won't over tax your stator but you can over run it. ie I will produce only so much current to power the bike. If you put more 'stuff' than the ability of the stator you will drain your battery and eventually kill it.

The bike has about 70 watts extra if you will to run accessories. By using LED turn signals and such you will save a few watts that can be used by any other accessories.

I use the smallest fuse that I can get away with as a precaution to prevent shorting and melting the insulation on the wiring. 3 to 5 amp fuse for a string of LEDs is just fine. Always check with the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

My 2 cents worth. It used to be a dollar but inflation took it down some.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Duke, I have LED rear turn signal 1156 bulbs that I purchased off EBay as well. They are very dim so I may check out Super Bright LEDS. They cost more but may be a better build quality.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Duke, I have LED rear turn signal 1156 bulbs that I purchased off EBay as well. They are very dim so I may check out Super Bright LEDS. They cost more but may be a better build quality.
Jorge, thanks for your answer. Thats the same that i have. I read somewhere else about some other bulbs, but they said that they might melt the signal turn housing.

As you mentioned, super bright Leds are the way.....but where to find them...

Well time to do some research....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jorge, thanks for your answer. Thats the same that i have. I read somewhere else about some other bulbs, but they said that they might melt the signal turn housing.

As you mentioned, super bright leds are the way.....but where to find them...

Well time to do some research....
Thanks ALOT to you all!! i'm very new to the forum, i actually just got my bike about 3 weeks ago so i am still learning, and simply wondering things! any brands you guys would suggest for the LED's or best and brightest qualities?

and as far as LED bulbs go, i had always been told they don't get as hot as your normal bulbs (could be wrong i guess) but if this is true, i don't see how they would melt your housings. i replaced my blinker bulbs in my car with all LED's and i haven't had a problem. i know its a little different situation but its still plastic and enclosed areas!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks ALOT to you all!! i'm very new to the forum, i actually just got my bike about 3 weeks ago so i am still learning, and simply wondering things! any brands you guys would suggest for the LED's or best and brightest qualities?

and as far as LED bulbs go, i had always been told they don't get as hot as your normal bulbs (could be wrong i guess) but if this is true, i don't see how they would melt your housings. i replaced my blinker bulbs in my car with all LED's and i haven't had a problem. i know its a little different situation but its still plastic and enclosed areas!
I think there was a misunderstanding here. I was talking about regular bulbs, a bit brighter maybe. LED should not get that hot, so no worries about melting down the plastic housing while using LEDs. They run cooler than OEM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think there was a misunderstanding there. I was talking about regular bulbs, a bit brighter maybe. LED should get that hot, so no worries about melting down the plastic housing while using LEDs. They run cooler than OEM.
misunderstanding for sure! haha my bad! i knew they did run cooler! i wouldnt mind doing led bulbs all over too! haha the wish list goes on and on! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
True that....i thought i was done doing mods to my bike, but now im just thinking what else i can do.....maybe wings? LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True that....i thought i was done doing mods to my bike, but now im just thinking what else i can do.....maybe wings? LOL
LOL good one! haha mine is all stock, minus the pipes.. i ride almost every night so thats why i was leaning toward the LED lights. ive also been thinking maybe this winter having my chromes pipes/covers powder coated, do you know if that would hold up to the heat?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts