Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a while now I have been toying with the idea of changing out the indicator and fog / DRL lights for LED's, (I like the purity of the LED light over incandescent).

Looking at some of the kit's out there I was a little taken back by the cost. Fortunately I get to travel for my job and whilst in Hong Kong I did some looking around. Lot's of choice and options and a fraction of the cost's I had seen here. Now the kicker, I pulled up Ebay and found the same lights I had seen in the stores, SHIPPED for less.

Well today they arrived and I did the quick install. I like the results, especially on the fog's.

Things to note. I found the P21/5W front turn signals and the 1156 (BA15S) rear bulbs with a load already built in. This stops the very fast flashing as the draw on the LED's is less than the draw of one standard bulb. It worked, the flash rate is about the same as standard, maybe a couple of flashes per minute more. The color turn signals, 18 LED array, is more of an off yellow than orange of the standard bulbs.

The fog's, H8, are a 68 LED array, 6000k pure white and draw only 2.8W each. All 6 bulbs delivered just under $30!!!

As you look at it left fog with LED light, right with standard (note it is more yellow in color)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I do like the look of those LED's.
2 questions.
Are these lights basically plugnplay with no mods?
Do you remember the eBay vendor?
Thanks and enjoy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do like the look of those LED's.
2 questions.
Are these lights basically plugnplay with no mods?
Do you remember the eBay vendor?
Thanks and enjoy.
To answer your questions:

1. Simple plug n play, no mod's. Remember that the front lights are P21/5W's as they are on whilst riding and flash for turn and have the offset bayonet pins, the rear flashers are BA15S lights only come on to flash. Get the CANBUS error free ones. As I mentioned they do flash a little faster but not like a strobe!!

I have also just ordered an H4 LED headlamp bulb rated to equivalent to 80W to see how that works out and for less than $20 delivered whats to loose??!!

2. http://stores.ebay.com/shop0101/Car-LED-Bulbs-/_i.html?_fsub=683772419&_sid=1025172229&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

·
Registered
10 Posts
For a while now I have been toying with the idea of changing out the indicator and fog / DRL lights for LED's, (I like the purity of the LED light over incandescent).

Looking at some of the kit's out there I was a little taken back by the cost. Fortunately I get to travel for my job and whilst in Hong Kong I did some looking around. Lot's of choice and options and a fraction of the cost's I had seen here. Now the kicker, I pulled up Ebay and found the same lights I had seen in the stores, SHIPPED for less.

Well today they arrived and I did the quick install. I like the results, especially on the fog's.

Things to note. I found the P21/5W front turn signals and the 1156 (BA15S) rear bulbs with a load already built in. This stops the very fast flashing as the draw on the LED's is less than the draw of one standard bulb. It worked, the flash rate is about the same as standard, maybe a couple of flashes per minute more. The color turn signals, 18 LED array, is more of an off yellow than orange of the standard bulbs.

The fog's, H8, are a 68 LED array, 6000k pure white and draw only 2.8W each. All 6 bulbs delivered just under $30!!!

Where you able to access fog lamp bulbs without removing fairing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where you able to access fog lamp bulbs without removing fairing?
Very simple. Just undo the 3 screws holding in the lockable side containers and the back of the fog lamps are right there. Took a couple of minutes per light.

·
Registered
204 Posts
To answer your questions:

1. Simple plug n play, no mod's. Remember that the front lights are P21/5W's as they are on whilst riding and flash for turn and have the offset bayonet pins, the rear flashers are BA15S lights only come on to flash. Get the CANBUS error free ones. As I mentioned they do flash a little faster but not like a strobe!!

I have also just ordered an H4 LED headlamp bulb rated to equivalent to 80W to see how that works out and for less than $20 delivered whats to loose??!!

2. http://stores.ebay.com/shop0101/Car-LED-Bulbs-/_i.html?_fsub=683772419&_sid=1025172229&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Have been looking for something like this but with the 1700 unique conjoined lens/reflector set up it's hard to tell what will fit. I wonder if the 1156 led bulbs (rear signals) will work the same as incandescent when connected to my running/brake light modulator?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I also have decided to order one of the LED 80 watt H4 bulbs, will report how it works out once I get it and installed.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
To Matt... they did on my last scoot with the brake light modulator. I had the badlands set up. Plus I have the badlands brake modulator on the trunk light to make it strop when braking. The LED lights work like any other light bulb in that situation. All my other scoots are all LED and I have been waiting to find clear turn signal lenses for the Voyager. But I guess there will never be any so I am going ahead and do the LED thing. I would like red turn signals on the rear, but without clear lenses... not going to happen.

I ordered the LEDs this morning and will try them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
To Matt... they did on my last scoot with the brake light modulator. I had the badlands set up. Plus I have the badlands brake modulator on the trunk light to make it strop when braking. The LED lights work like any other light bulb in that situation. All my other scoots are all LED and I have been waiting to find clear turn signal lenses for the Voyager. But I guess there will never be any so I am going ahead and do the LED thing. I would like red turn signals on the rear, but without clear lenses... not going to happen.

I ordered the LEDs this morning and will try them.
Thanks for the info Bubba, already ordered the bulbs so that is good to hear =).

There is a European shop that makes clear lenses for the Voyager BTW. Was going to buy a pair myself but I think they run like $80 w/shipping =0.

http://www.lights4all.com/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=2625

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
If I read the threads on the European clear lenses correctly they were not an exact replacement. Some modification had to be done. I think one person finally just used silicon rubber and just glued them in. Thats why I didn't bother getting them.

I have been thinking of swapping out the Voyager turn signal housings for some of the Yamaha housings I have somehow. I have clear lenses for those.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just FYI... the lenses that lights4all sells are for the European model called the Voyager Custom, which is in fact a Vaquero, and the lenses are different between the Voyager and the Vaquero, unless you change to Vaquero turn signals these will not work on a Voyager. let alone the cost plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
My tracking number says the LED lights will be here Friday. It was $21 for all of them....

I have bought other LED items from China for my Christmas outdoor display and they are good products and really cheap in price....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anybody have feedback on the H4 LED headlamp or the LED fog lights? tried LED replacement bulbs years ago on my Harley but didn't care for the results, just want to know if there technology is any better now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got the P21/5W front signal bulbs in saturday and tried them out on my Nomad. Of course being LED bubs they blink faster than incandescent but that doesn't really bother me. However the deal breaker was that they are not as bright or noticeable (dimmer on the front, not as amber) as my stock bulbs. Keep in mind though that I have the Kawasaki light bar which has different turn signals than stock (on mine the bulb is further forward and has no reflector) so they may work better on a Vaquero or Voyager.

On a side note I also got a pair Red LED 1156 bulbs (from a different source) for my run/brake/turn lights and they didn't work at all.

Ohh well, as little as I paid for all 4 bulbs it was worth a try at least.

P.S. While installing the rear LED bulbs I discovered that the red incandescent bulbs I had on had faded quite a bit at the top. Put a fresh pair in and now the lights are pure red rather than half amber/red. I've heard that the Kuryakyn red bulbs don't fade though so will probably give those a try.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Got the same LED lights from the same place...

I put the LED driving lights in. They of course are not near as bright as the stock for lighting up the road.... but they are better for someone far off seeing you as they are a whiter tint.

Don't waste your time with the turn signal LEDs.... not near as bright as stock and to me that is not acceptable....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got the same LED lights from the same place...

Don't waste your time with the turn signal LEDs.... not near as bright as stock and to me that is not acceptable....
Agreed. I just got mine in the mail. The 1156's that I bought for the back don't work at all. The 1157's for the front work but not as advertised. They are supposed to have a built in load circuit but they still make the flashers blink fast.

Oh well, I guess back to wanting the LED bulbs from Custom Dynamics.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
But I do like the LED driving light H8... all the LED's give it a multi faceted look.

On my last scoot (2002 Venture) the only light that was not LED was the headlight. I used the Badlands all light controller. It would over ride everything and make your rear turn signals (single element) into running/brake/turn lights. It was an excellent light controller.

If anyone ever makes clear replacement turn signals I will get the round super bright LED boards for them (like I had) and use the Badlands light controller again. I am thinking I am going to have to change out the turn signal housing to Yamaha housings to get clear lenses. Will probably be my next winters project. I have about a dozen new Yamaha turn signal housings with clear lenses.

It is hard to get a good pic of any light, but you can see the tint. It is not the greenish/yellow the stock H8 bulb has. You can actually see it farther down the road, but it does not do much illumination of the road on your end. Which is fine by me...

DSCN1648.JPG

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I also just got my H8 set in. At any angle other than straight on they are as bright as the incandescent bulbs and have a neat look to them. At the focal point though the incandescent bulb is blinding while the LEDs retain the same level of brightness. Nice cool factor but I want the extra light over the coolness. I did not try the LEDs at night so I can't comment on whether or not they actually provide any more visible beam. I may tinker with them another day but for now I'm sticking with the stock bulbs.

I'm still waiting on the other bulbs to come in for testing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts