Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, All...

Anybody replace their turn signals, headlights, and/or fog lights with LED bulbs? I've been looking around, and it seems as though there are direct, plug in, replacements for them all. Just wondering if anybody has done it already? We've got those sweet LEDs on the backsides of our Voyagers...it would be nice to make it a full complement.

Any info/advice is helpful!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I put brighter bulbs in for turn signals and the brake light, plus a silverstar head light bulb.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty sweet, Keyman; a lot more than I have the skills for! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can easily add HID bulb with slim ballast and it will fit right into existing head lamp. LED head lamp will take a modification to do. Not any wiring, as a HD LED light could plug into the harness most likely, it's that Kawasaki uses a damper to keep head lamp stable and from shaking around thus on the back side of the head lamp there is a molded area where said damper bolts into to keep head lamp secure. I took a gamble and purchased a head lamp with projection lens (not a big fan of using a HID without projection lens) and the lens that came was a universal. It was a universal 7" round that could be used for a Vulcan or say a 67 Camaro or other older like wise vehicle that had/has 7" round head lamps.

I winded up returning the lens as I did not want to get deep into taking apart head lamp by cutting out glass and drilling in the projection lens. I'm waiting for near future for when Kawasaki or a aftermarket Co. comes out with a direct fit especially made for Vulcan set up. Other option could possibly be removing entire chrome head lamp housing and using a HD housing so you can hook up their LED light (which is a very nice head light). Expensive though for a LED light HD charges as well.

So unless you can fabricate a bracket on back on aftermarket LED lens and get it right so the damper connects to it securely, HID's are the next best option.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Kaz, for the great reply. It looks as though I'll start looking for an HID kit to stuff in there...those things look bright as heck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, Kaz, for the great reply. It looks as though I'll start looking for an HID kit to stuff in there...those things look bright as heck!

They are brighter but you really need a projection lens for an HID bulb. I have projection lens in my 2500HD (aftermarket head lights) and my X5 (which came with them stock). You can see the difference of light pattern vs using a projection lens and not using one. Sport bikes have plenty of aftermarket kits for sport bikes, and I have came across some 7" bolts that have a projection in them, though it more looks like a magnifying glass with no enclosures on the sides of them. And there are sites that just sell the actual projection lens where you would need to butcher the stock lamp apart to fit them in (something I'm not willing to want to do).

I'm keeping fingers crossed on either Kawasaki coming out with their own version in near future, or an after market Co. making a plug-N-play version for the Vulcan 1700's 7" round light (which will have the molded brackets for the damper).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings, All...

Anybody replace their turn signals, headlights, and/or fog lights with LED bulbs? I've been looking around, and it seems as though there are direct, plug in, replacements for them all. Just wondering if anybody has done it already? We've got those sweet LEDs on the backsides of our Voyagers...it would be nice to make it a full complement.

Any info/advice is helpful!

Have been interested in doing this myself for the signals but the combined reflector/lens piece makes it hard if not impossible to find LED replacement bulb that will likely fit unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts