Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a ton of different LED Bulbs, and headlights for the Vulcan 900 Custom. Mine is the 2014 model.

What has worked best for my fellow riders?

I want the brightest light possible, with the longest reach on high beam.

I also have the Kawasaki light bar. Is there any way to change those sealed bulbs with LED bulbs?

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
brightest LED i saw on specs is a 2000 lumen, don't think that it's DOT legal

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a 900 classic lt, and also have the Kawasaki light bar. I replaced all bulbs with LEDs last year, including the 2 spot lights. The bulb type for the.main headlight is H4. The bulb type for the spotlights is H3. I installed an H4 Cyclops 7000 (3500 low beam) lumen bulb, which has been replaced in the lineup with a 10000 (5000 low beam) lumen bulb. For the H3s, I installed 1500 lumen LEDs which are no longer made (Nighteye brand). I project 9500 lumens on low beam which I find is plenty. I was also concerned about wattage, the wiring and the charging system. It's all worked out well for me.

I could add the bulbs are 6500 kelvin in color (white) and are DOT legal. On my bike the light bar spot lights go out when you switch to high beam, so I never go there. I could rewire to work around this, but haven't.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Stock reflectors are not made for LED bulbs. The best option is to replace the entire light with an LED unit.
This is from a 2016 post of mine

Here's what I did for my 900 LT Classic with OEM lightbar
They are great. See my avatar
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

You can get lights a lot cheaper today (Chinese) I recently did head and driving lights for my Voyager for $110

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i just saw the highest lumen led is 10,000. Put that in your headlight reflector and the cops will stop ya

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
just be aware that headlamp housings come in 2 varieties, reflector and projector, and I don't think you can install an LED in a reflector housing due to the reflector scattered light and blinding oncoming traffic

·
Registered
84 Posts
just be aware that headlamp housings come in 2 varieties, reflector and projector, and I don't think you can install an LED in a reflector housing due to the reflector scattered light and blinding oncoming traffic
It can be easily done but those who do are dicks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
Gee whiz guys, this is not rocket science, just a bit of backyard engineering. Just make sure the H4 LED you buy, has the correct throw pattern (with guards) for high and low beam (to keep from blinding an on coming car), and lights at the same focal point within the headlight reflector, as the halogen bulb. Also make sure the new LED is adjusted properly for on coming traffic. Not a big deal. Some do this, some don't. The more expensive ones generally do.

·
Registered
410 Posts
jbiggers has nailed it. Undeniably there are many LED headlight bulbs that are simply not designed to be a direct replacement for their filament counterpart in a reflector housing. However just as undeniably, there is a significant number that are specifically designed for that purpose. To dismiss everyone running an LED headlight bulb in a reflector housing as dicks is a bit narrow minded.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So how hard are LED bulbs to install? Is it just a simple plug and play or is it finding an adapter for their plug? I may be a dick, but at the end of the day me being able to see is the most important thing to me. And honestly the Vulcan's headlamp is a joke.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's not that hard. You have to temporarily remove the rubber moisture boot to remove the halogen bulb, then attaching the LED base is easy. The rubber boot has a length to the central collar (thought of a better phrase) to protect the halogen bulb from moisture. I had to shorten this collar to get the LED heat sink and fan to go inside the rubber boot far enough to lock the LED light into the LED base. Then I used velcro to attach the regulator to the light frame. The LED electrical plug is standard H4.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Btom, my light is similar but a model older, running 7000 lumens instead of 10000. It seems bright enough so I've had no desire to change it. The current one seems a little better, since it has a metal base instead of plastic, and has 2 modes of operation instead of 1 like mine.

Oops, have to pay extra to get the 2 mode version. The price for the single mode LED is the same as I paid.

Another interesting difference is that for the first time the latest LED is current limited (they don't want to exceed the current draw of the halogen). Mine is not. Mine is more like the Ultra, has 4 LEDs, 2 come on low beam, and all 4 come on high beam. The 2 low beam LEDs are guarded, so they won't blind an approaching driver.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
so in the non-Ultra 2 emitters come on for (low beam) and in the Ultra model 2 emitters come on for (low beam), the same for both when using low beam which seems like there's no need for the Ultra model. I don't like riding at night so no need for 4 emitters coming on (Ultra). the only concern I would have with this cyclops led 10.0 in my reflector on low beam is not blind anyone in daylight hours or maybe this led works like my present H4 halogen bulb, I got a Philips Xtreme Vision 100% in there now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Phillips looks like a popular light. I also don't like to ride at night, but it's nice to know I can if needed. With the light bar, it's more important for me to be seen during the day, rather than worrying about light throw at night, but the light throw is there if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
JW Speaker 7" but you'll pay more than a few shekels for them.

I've also had good success with the Morimoto Sealed7 headlight. SL1 LED bulbs from Diode Dynamics are also very good.

But if you're wanting to stick with halogens in the stock housing and not be one of those kind of people who blind the oncoming drivers putting cheap LED bulbs in your scoot, Piaa or the Osram Laser bulbs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ended up buying a cheap LED bulb to test out, brightness is nice but need to adjust my light vertically. Are the high and low beams individually adjusted?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dmonger, not that I'm aware of. On the Cyclops LED I bought, the LEDs are fixed. You have to adjust for the low beam, then the high beam is automatically correct. At least this was my experience.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts