Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't know why I didn't think to start the bike. Anyways, I started the bike and the light works. I still think it's weird that the light doesn't turn on with just turning the key, but stays on after turning the bike off.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think to start the bike. Anyways, I started the bike and the light works. I still think it's weird that the light doesn't turn on with just turning the key, but stays on after turning the bike off.
The headlight is fed off a relay which is a combination of a mechanical and electrical switch. If you look at a basic diagram for a relay its wired inline to the battery, when you crank the engine the relay is energized and that closes a second switch in the relay that completes the headlight circuit. The light stays on when you kill the engine because that second circuit in the relay stays live until the ignition is completely off. There’s a little more detail to it but that’s the general idea.

Rectangle Font Line Schematic Parallel

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
198 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a ninja and Vulcan , my advice if your Kawasaki lights and switches work, first thank god, and second leave it alone, Kawasaki wiring and switches are crap from the factory, if you want to upgrade changing bulbs and splicing on a already poor setup your just asking for trouble

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
BuckeyRider, I find that arrangement very helpful for riding light troubleshooting. When I first got my bike, I had trouble with the front turn signals, and it came in very handy. Everything has been good for several years since then. If you are just riding, you don't even have to think about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you looking to swap the bulb or the entire assembly? I just changed the bulb, the bulb I purchased is an H4 equivalent in terms of the connector but most importantly the LED chips are positioned in the same location as the filaments on an H4 bulb so the light pattern remained the same after installed.
Hey Mike,

Looking to change to LED. What is the brand of the bulb you bought?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I installed this one. Easy plug and play, no clearance issues. I was not looking for extra brightness, instead a reduction in power draw. Some replacement LED use the reduced power draw to increase the light output for free (so to say), some do a combination of reduced power and a brighter light, some just give you about the same light and extensively reduce the draw. This one is the latter. The light pattern is good with a sharp cut off that does not blind oncoming traffic. I did re-aim the head lamp bucket though according to Kawasaki specs and then added just a touch more up angle. The bright selection does not increase the upward angle as much as some, which I like. I can ride darker roads with my brights on and not blind traffic if I don’t switch it in time. It has about 500 miles on it so far and I have not had any issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the bulb I have, it’s about 3 yrs now, like I mentioned in my other post the LED chips are in the same position as the filaments would be on a incandescent bulb. I’m sure there are better bulbs that are out there since I bought this but I did not have to mess with it once I put it in.

SEALIGHT H4 9003 HB2 LED Motorcycle Bike Bulb, 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z7RHYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_TJX1GN2J4BDGWB0EZHFK
I agree with you strongly, Mmart. This bulb in my 2020 900 Classic LT makes a great light pattern. Wide field of light with NO black spots. Needed to lower the beam a little after install. That is my results, your results may vary due to the alignment of the stars, or how many brews the install took.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts