Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Are you looking to swap the bulb or the entire assembly? I just changed the bulb, the bulb I purchased is an H4 equivalent in terms of the connector but most importantly the LED chips are positioned in the same location as the filaments on an H4 bulb so the light pattern remained the same after installed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It really depends on the bulb, the bucket, etc. in my experience it has been a considerable upgrade. You really just need to do your homework and not throw in just any bulb.

I don’t ride at night too much but the few times I have I’ve been surprised with the improvement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is the bulb I have, it’s about 3 yrs now, like I mentioned in my other post the LED chips are in the same position as the filaments would be on a incandescent bulb. I’m sure there are better bulbs that are out there since I bought this but I did not have to mess with it once I put it in.

SEALIGHT H4 9003 HB2 LED Motorcycle Bike Bulb, 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z7RHYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_TJX1GN2J4BDGWB0EZHFK

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is not a scientific comparison but just a visual of how much brighter this bulb was over my stock bulb. I added those tiny LED driving lights and have them angled a touch lower than the headlight to help me see the road, comes in handy seeing the potholes or whatever else makes its way into the streets.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just purchased this and installed it. It’s plug and play, but the light won’t turn on. Any ideas?
the first thing that comes to mind is what’s already been asked, is the bike running? My bike with stock wiring has the headlight relay triggered off one of the stator leads.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't know why I didn't think to start the bike. Anyways, I started the bike and the light works. I still think it's weird that the light doesn't turn on with just turning the key, but stays on after turning the bike off.
The headlight is fed off a relay which is a combination of a mechanical and electrical switch. If you look at a basic diagram for a relay its wired inline to the battery, when you crank the engine the relay is energized and that closes a second switch in the relay that completes the headlight circuit. The light stays on when you kill the engine because that second circuit in the relay stays live until the ignition is completely off. There’s a little more detail to it but that’s the general idea.

Rectangle Font Line Schematic Parallel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts