Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I changed the bulb in my headlight to a brighter one. (I honestly don’t know what I put in - has a blue tip) Anyways, it’s brighter for sure, but LED seems like the way to go. I have no problem spending the $, but don’t want to spend it if it’s not going to make that much of a difference. Mainly I just want a white light. I don’t need more spill to the side, I would just like a little more projection forward (Don’t know the right term) I keep hearing how some installs and “plug and play” and some require and after-market metal harness. I’m ok with that, but I’m not buying any light that requires me to cut, sand, etc anything myself. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered this (link below) and have a 7" led headlight to try and install in it. Hopefully works out. Will find out once I receive it and try the install.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I haven't bought a new LED headlight in years. The one I have is no longer made. Do your research online. Not all are created equal. Especially look for reviews of the light pattern. It's info that is not easy to find, but very important.

If you like the one you have now, don't worry about changing to LED. Reasons to change: Reduce power consumption. Most, but not all will. Brighter. More attention grabbing headlight modulation (LEDs instantly change from one level to the other when modulating while incandescents "fade" from one to the other). I changed to the LED I have on my previous bike to save the amps for heated gear, and for more attention grabbing modulation.

The light pattern of some LEDs are terrible, either blind spots or spots that can blind oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Are you looking to swap the bulb or the entire assembly? I just changed the bulb, the bulb I purchased is an H4 equivalent in terms of the connector but most importantly the LED chips are positioned in the same location as the filaments on an H4 bulb so the light pattern remained the same after installed.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just recently read that trying to replace a halogen bulb with an LED might not make for a better headlight.
The LED doesnt have the same reflectivity as the halogen and might not give a better forward light pattern.
There are halogen bulbs that will give better, brighter, farther light output.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It really depends on the bulb, the bucket, etc. in my experience it has been a considerable upgrade. You really just need to do your homework and not throw in just any bulb.

I don’t ride at night too much but the few times I have I’ve been surprised with the improvement.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
It really depends on the bulb, the bucket, etc. in my experience it has been a considerable upgrade. You really just need to do your homework and not throw in just any bulb.

I don’t ride at night too much but the few times I have I’ve been surprised with the improvement.
Quite right. The LED I have has a great light pattern and is every bit as bright as the halogen it replaced. And, as I said, it makes the modulator more attention getting, too. I researched for several months until I found settled on this one and the time was well spent. Unfortunately, the company doesn't exist anymore. They were bought out and closed down by a larger company that made a poorer product. One of those "it's better to buy out and shut down the competition than to rise to their level" situations, I guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you looking to swap the bulb or the entire assembly? I just changed the bulb, the bulb I purchased is an H4 equivalent in terms of the connector but most importantly the LED chips are positioned in the same location as the filaments on an H4 bulb so the light pattern remained the same after installed.
I keep reading about Cyclops H4 bulb. It’s look great and definitely seems like a cheaper option than the entire assembly, but I’m not 100% sold on the light it throws and the overall spill. Many lights don’t have much of a spill and it goes from bright to dark instantly. Also I’ve seen some that have dark spots which would drive me crazy

·
Registered
813 Posts
I did an LED conversion of my headlight at the beginning of riding season. Wont name the light i got but will tell you the issues i ran into.
Purchased 2 H4 bulbs from scamazon described as plug and play for the most part they were easy to install no real modifications they were not the super cheap ones as i reasoned that a little more money was worth it to get a better product. the 2 pack was $50

Problem #1 bulbs had 3 light chips placed on the sides in triangle formation. First bulb of 2 pack had no high beam one chip would not light no matter what i did.

Problem #2 second bulb all 3 worked as they should but because of the bucket designed to reflect light forward had to take it out and put it back in several times to get the light patterns the way i wanted them to be. (yes most led bulbs can be put in upside down or sideways and you wont be able to tell unless its dark that the light pattern sucks)

Problem #3 No real difference between high an low beam. (you could tell it was on but forward light really didnt change much)

Problem #4 after 2 months bulb 2 now has the same problem the first bulb had IE 1 dead chip and of course its the high beam chip.

Over all is my light much brighter absolutely but the pattern is not full there are dark areas and at the end of the day i do not like it at all.
Im still planning to eventually go all LED but for the head light in now looking into the full assembly lights instead of the bulb change at least then i will know that the assembly is designed to put the light that's being generated where i need it, down the highway and out to the sides so i can see the elk on the side of the road before im on top of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did an LED conversion of my headlight at the beginning of riding season. Wont name the light i got but will tell you the issues i ran into.
Purchased 2 H4 bulbs from scamazon described as plug and play for the most part they were easy to install no real modifications they were not the super cheap ones as i reasoned that a little more money was worth it to get a better product. the 2 pack was $50

Problem #1 bulbs had 3 light chips placed on the sides in triangle formation. First bulb of 2 pack had no high beam one chip would not light no matter what i did.

Problem #2 second bulb all 3 worked as they should but because of the bucket designed to reflect light forward had to take it out and put it back in several times to get the light patterns the way i wanted them to be. (yes most led bulbs can be put in upside down or sideways and you wont be able to tell unless its dark that the light pattern sucks)

Problem #3 No real difference between high an low beam. (you could tell it was on but forward light really didnt change much)

Problem #4 after 2 months bulb 2 now has the same problem the first bulb had IE 1 dead chip and of course its the high beam chip.

Over all is my light much brighter absolutely but the pattern is not full there are dark areas and at the end of the day i do not like it at all.
Im still planning to eventually go all LED but for the head light in now looking into the full assembly lights instead of the bulb change at least then i will know that the assembly is designed to put the light that's being generated where i need it, down the highway and out to the sides so i can see the elk on the side of the road before im on top of it.
I’ve seen a ton of videos o YouTube and EVERYONE that only replaced the bulb has a lot of black spots all over, sometimes right in the middle. There’s no way I could deal with that. I say do it right or don’t do it at all.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have an earlier version of the Cyclops H4 bulb (7000 lumens) on my VN900 Classic LT and I'm happy with it. The latest version is 10,000 lumens. It is only a bulb replacement, not the whole assembly. The light pattern also seems good. You mentioned you want others to see you, it definitely helps with that, so much brighter than the stock bulb.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is the bulb I have, it’s about 3 yrs now, like I mentioned in my other post the LED chips are in the same position as the filaments would be on a incandescent bulb. I’m sure there are better bulbs that are out there since I bought this but I did not have to mess with it once I put it in.

SEALIGHT H4 9003 HB2 LED Motorcycle Bike Bulb, 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z7RHYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_TJX1GN2J4BDGWB0EZHFK

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an earlier version of the Cyclops H4 bulb (7000 lumens) on my VN900 Classic LT and I'm happy with it. The latest version is 10,000 lumens. It is only a bulb replacement, not the whole assembly. The light pattern also seems good. You mentioned you want others to see you, it definitely helps with that, so much brighter than the stock bulb.
The older version is also just a bulb replacement correct?

·
Registered
'08 Nomad 1600
140 Posts
This is the bulb I have, it’s about 3 yrs now, like I mentioned in my other post the LED chips are in the same position as the filaments would be on a incandescent bulb. I’m sure there are better bulbs that are out there since I bought this but I did not have to mess with it once I put it in.

SEALIGHT H4 9003 HB2 LED Motorcycle Bike Bulb, 6000K Xenon White Amazon.com
Purchased and installed the same on my VN1600. Significant improvement over stock halogen. Do better/brighter options exist? Possibly...but for $40 I've no complaints as the improvement is significant.

·
Registered
442 Posts
This is not a scientific comparison but just a visual of how much brighter this bulb was over my stock bulb. I added those tiny LED driving lights and have them angled a touch lower than the headlight to help me see the road, comes in handy seeing the potholes or whatever else makes its way into the streets.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

SEALIGHT H4 9003 HB2 LED Motorcycle Bike Bulb, 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z7RHYM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_TJX1GN2J4BDGWB0EZHFK
Just purchased this and installed it. It’s plug and play, but the light won’t turn on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Is the bike running? On mine the light doesn't turn on until the bike is started.
Also when i first switched i had to clean the plug because mine didn't work at first either.
Check your fuses and make sure you didn't blow one or grab a multimeter and make sure your getting power to the plug

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When you start the bike, the lights will automatically come on. If you kill the engine with the run/stop toggle switch, the lights (including the headlight) will stay on, but don't leave them on too long to save the battery. When you kill the engine with the key switch the lights will go off, as turning the key off also turns the lights off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts