Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LED Headlight Install (updated with night pics)

I ordered a 3800 lumen headlight (H4) from Cyclopes Adventure Sports. $64.95 plus shipping
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Take off headlight unscrewing the two screws on the sides of the headlight housing. Use a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the collar away from the housing.

Make sure to support the headlight because after the collar is removed only the wires are attached to the bike.

Disconnect wires from the old headlight. You will see a rubber collar.

Remove the rubber collar.

Remove the metal clip that goes across the headlight.

The new LED light will only go into the housing one way. I had a small issue with the clip holding the light flush with the housing, so I used a small nut I had laying around that I put under the small metal piece on the right to hold the clip in place.

I used electrical tape and taped the ballast to the headlight bracket. You will also have to modify the rubber collar, I just cut the inner ring out and used electric tape to close any gaps.

Plug the connectors together.

Reinstall headlight collar to headlight housing.

I had to adjust the headlight beam down about a foot, to do this:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice rightup. Do you also have a before night shot to show the difference in light pattern & coverage? Maybe post with night shot of new light?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you,
Unfortunately I do not have a before shot with the old bulb. The old bulb was aftermarket, 100/80w, so I didn't include it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been debating this for awhile now. What's your take on the light temp and overall visibility?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am really pleased. 5500k is almost pure white without being blue or purple. Most of my riding is around town during the week and I haven't been in any areas at night without streetlights yet.
I have been using LED flashlights for years and always liked how clean and crisp the beam were, this headlight is no different. I have noticed that reflective materials show up better and sooner than before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been debating this set up myself as I do a good bit of night riding. Just worried about the temp

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out their web site and veiw the videos there, they compair the LED vs a halogen. Plus it has a built in fan to help move air around in the housing.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I ordered a 3800 lumen headlight (H4) from Cyclopes Adventure Sports. $64.95 plus shipping..................

I used electrical tape and taped the ballast to the headlight bracket. You will also have to modify the rubber collar, I just cut the inner ring out and used electric tape to close any gaps.

I was reading your message about the LED install and have a question. It looks like you took the rubber light collar and installed it all the way to the back of the heat reduction insulator on the LED (see your picture above).

I'm one of the many that is looking into doing an install like this, but I thought that the heat insulator had to be totally exposed to be able to reduce heat properly? Other installs that I've read about take the rubber collar and cut it to fit in front of the bulb's heat insulator between the light section and the heat sink system. Like this (from an auto install web site):

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I noticed on the garage door not a noticeable difference between HIGH and LOW.
but looks super bright on the road!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Cyclops after reading your post on the rubber collar. They said that what is pictured will work but it is best to have the back of the fan assembly exposed. The stock rubber collor is almost useless in this application and Cyclops said many people set it aside. I asked about dust/water getting to the lens and they told me to put some tape over any exposed areas to make a better seal around the LED unit. I will post updated pictures when I modify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let us know how the light is holding up and your opinion on it, I too am looking at upgrading the headlight on my 1700.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love it. One thing I did notice was that during the day when the light reflects off of a sign it seems like the headlight vibrates more than the old one. I do not notice this at night or when stopped at a light.

If/when you do a headlight upgrade make sure to readjust your headlight. After installing mine was about 6 inches high and shifted to the left.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great Review

I ordered a 3800 lumen headlight (H4) from Cyclopes Adventure Sports. $64.95 plus shipping
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Take off headlight unscrewing the two screws on the sides of the headlight housing. Use a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the collar away from the housing.

Make sure to support the headlight because after the collar is removed only the wires are attached to the bike.

Disconnect wires from the old headlight. You will see a rubber collar.

Remove the rubber collar.

Remove the metal clip that goes across the headlight.

The new LED light will only go into the housing one way. I had a small issue with the clip holding the light flush with the housing, so I used a small nut I had laying around that I put under the small metal piece on the right to hold the clip in place.

Plug the connectors together.

Reinstall headlight collar to headlight housing.

I had to adjust the headlight beam down about a foot, to do this:
Ordered mine today

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a quick update.
I have put over 8,000 miles on my bike since I installed the LED headlight. I have rode in downpours in PA to gravel roads here in MO, I even did an Iron Butt ride. This light has held up very well and I have not noticed any change in any way from the day I installed it.

If you are thinking about switching to an LED headlight, do it and you will not be disappointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts