Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 07 shadow 1100 8500 miles. Just installed a cyron led headlight h4. part number abh4-bm6k. The stock light doesn't do this and no other lights flicker.
Any ideas how to correct this??? My bike doing this in video below

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first thought is that its defective (usually bad capacitor) sometimes My home LED lights do this and its usually the Capacitor has gone bad likely due to the heat they have to endure. Another thing is overheating can cause this.
I would email/call the person you bought it from and let them know what is going on and they may offer a replacement/refund

·
Registered
918 Posts
My first thought is that its defective (usually bad capacitor) sometimes My home LED lights do this and its usually the Capacitor has gone bad likely due to the heat they have to endure. Another thing is overheating can cause this.
I would email/call the person you bought it from and let them know what is going on and they may offer a replacement/refund
And this is why I have my doubts about LED headlights. I love the concept, but if something is stuck in a small enclosed space and requires a cooling fan to dissipate heat, it doesn't belong there. Headlights are air tight to keep water from getting inside. If the LED can't "breath", it's gonna fail.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought this from Dennis Kirk. They have a great service. There tech support is going to contact the supplier.
I have also emailed the company cyron with this video. It almost looks like one led isn't firing right. I probably won't hear anything until Monday or Tuesday. This light is brand new has about 6 minutes of idle time on it now.

The led light is in the headlight but the fan and driver part is in the bucket. That's not air tight. There is a big hole where all your wires come in.

Here is a video of my bike doing it. Seems to be ok turned off and at idle (start of video you can hear me idle it up). High idle with the choke on or higher rpms it does it. I am thinking a bad bulb or it's something to do with the rectifier. Don't these bikes put out an a/c voltage like a snowmobile???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting that it works on idle could be that when you rev it voltage goes up and makes it flicker that could indicate its defective as well but also i have read about "canbus" electrical systems, something about pulsing the headlight on/off so it lasts longer but led lights are more sensitive to it so they flicker not sure if your bike has a canbus system or not but it would be something to look into since they make canbus compatible led headlights as well. Something to ponder. I believe your bike would have a can-bus system if it has "bulb out" warning lights .

I will try to find more info on this.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not sure if it has a can bus system or not. But that's is a thought. To my knowledge there are no bulb out warming light. Maybe I should take out a tail light and see if some other light comes on. like the neutral indicator light or something. I searched the shadow forum and found nothing about it

Well I took out the tail lights and fired the bike no indicator light came on any where.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well took some voltage readings at the battery. I have 12.65 when bike is off. Running idle or throttled up was 13.64-13.68. Thinking I am going to give up on an led for now. Unless I hear something good from the manufacture soon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
whenever I hear of flickering lites the first thing that comes to mind is the ground wire, maybe it's not getting a good ground

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the thought. I have checked all the grounds I could find. I ohmed out the wires. which was .03 to the battery and 0 to the frame. took voltage readings at the headlight bucket. held steading at 13.3 high and low. I am thinking its something to do with the built in driver/ballast. see cyron pic below. There can not be room for any electronics or a circuit board. Since that light does not have a separate drive/ballast. Like the opt7 or the cyclops. Thinking about trying one of those but not sure if they will fit in the 5 3/4 bucket. Without cramming things in there.

What you see in the pic is what you get with the cyron

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Quick update.. I decided to order an opt7 just to see if it did that flicker thing to. Well it does not. So I figure it was either a bad led I got or something to do with that built in driver. Not sure about the light pattern yet on the opt7

Well just went outside and the opt7 sucks compared to the light from the cyron. I think the halogen light is just as good if not better. Thinking I need to call cyron again and give it one more shot. I was very impressed with the light output it was just that weird flicker it had.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I think I found the led h4 for me. Yeah. It is sold by hid extra. They call it razir. It puts out 3500 lumens at 6k. Had it in 2 days from my order date. 45 day like it or return with free shipping. Installed in the shadow 1100 no flicker good light pattern. Waiting for it to stop raining to see what it looks like on the road.

I tried the amazon popular one opt7 No Thanks Returned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts