Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Classic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure that most of you are aware that led headlight assemblies aren’t generally designed for Vulcans. I recently purchased one on Amazon that is technically for a H-D. I contacted the seller and they said it would fit my Vulcan Classic. Well it didn’t fit as it was delivered. I then contacted the companies customer service email. They responded with a link for a YouTube video of how someone modified the headlight to work with the factory Kawasaki mount. If you are a little handy with a drill and screwdriver, you can do this. You don’t need a headlight with any kind of mounting hardware included. I threw away the hardware that came with mine. You need 2 corner brackets size 1inch by 1 inch and a couple of number 6 self tapping screws. I used 1/2 inch long screws with 2 thin flat washers on each screw. You will use the 12 o clock and 6 o clock mounting points on your original bracket. My headlight head a small fin at these positions, I cut them off smooth with the light housing. Using the original mounting screws and plastic nuts, attach the corner brackets to the factory mounting bracket. Then align the complete assembly with the location of the fins you just removed from the light. Mark the location of the a screws and start by drilling a small pilot hole. I stepped up drill size until the hole was just large enough for the screw to cut threads without binding up and breaking off. I did not attach the side adjustment. Even with the top and bottom screws tightened you can adjust the side to side by hand until you are happy with it. Modifying it like this, you have secure installation and up and down adjustment. Included in the photos is a screenshot of the headlight I purchased. You can save yourself a few dollars and purchase the light without mounting hardware. I hope this will help someone else who has been wanting a very good headlight for safer night time riding.
As a side note, the pictures of the bracket mounted to the new headlight were taken before I aligning the headlight inside the factory bracket. The light gives a very crisp cut line at the highest point of the low beam, which does make adjustment easier

·
Registered
590 Posts
Interesting write up. I think most of the aftermarket 7" LED lights sold on Amazon would work if you're willing to modify it like you did. What I got from this story is avoid XPCTD. Just another crappy Chinese vendor on Amazon who lied to sell a product and then sent you off to YouTube to fix the issue yourself. Glad it worked out for you in the end, though.

Reactions: Shadow69

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Classic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Interesting write up. I think most of the aftermarket 7" LED lights sold on Amazon would work if you're willing to modify it like you did. What I got from this story is avoid XPCTD. Just another crappy Chinese vendor on Amazon who lied to sell a product and then sent you off to YouTube to fix the issue yourself. Glad it worked out for you in the end, though.
Actually I’m pretty sure they were going strictly by the size of my headlight. They did not list any Kawasaki models as being a fit for the headlight. They didn’t have to even give me the link to the video, so in my opinion that was good customer service. I thought I would share the information because I spent weeks trying to find a complete assembly that would work and the only thing I could find were just bulbs that don’t work well with the factory reflector

·
Registered
03 mean streak
33 Posts
Thanks for the review, ordered one for my mean streak.

Reactions: cjessee73

·
Registered
03 mean streak
33 Posts
Just realized. Mean streak uses 5.75 diameter not the 7. Shop wisely.

Cancelled original order and ordered the correct one.

Reactions: cjessee73

·
Registered
590 Posts
Actually I’m pretty sure they were going strictly by the size of my headlight. They did not list any Kawasaki models as being a fit for the headlight. They didn’t have to even give me the link to the video, so in my opinion that was good customer service. I thought I would share the information because I spent weeks trying to find a complete assembly that would work and the only thing I could find were just bulbs that don’t work well with the factory reflector
There have been developments recently on the whole aftermarket LED working on a vulcan.

There's an adapter ring - https://engineeredadapters.com/product/vulcan-led-headlight-mounting-ring

or the poor man's route, a 3D printed adapter ring - LED Upgrade! JW 8700 evo 2

Reactions: Bob Aernecke

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Classic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There have been developments recently on the whole aftermarket LED working on a vulcan.

There's an adapter ring - https://engineeredadapters.com/product/vulcan-led-headlight-mounting-ring

or the poor man's route, a 3D printed adapter ring - LED Upgrade! JW 8700 evo 2
Yes you can purchase an adapter from engineered adapters for $120 if you want to pay that much. Or you can do what I did for less than $4. And you have the same finished result. Let’s face it, people who are buying knock off daymakers on Amazon are most definitely trying to save a little money and still get a good bright light. But to each his own. I made this post to help out anyone who didn’t want to have to pay for the adapter

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Classic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2005 VN1500 F.I. Classic
12 Posts
Put this on my Vulcan. Cheap and works great, No Flickering

·
Registered
06 Vulcan Classic
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tsar, I’m glad you found a bulb that works for you. Of the several bulbs I tried, none seemed to adjust to a point where I could see well and not blind oncoming traffic at the same time. I could tell very little difference between high and low beam

·
Registered
2005 VN1500 F.I. Classic
12 Posts
Tsar, I’m glad you found a bulb that works for you. Of the several bulbs I tried, none seemed to adjust to a point where I could see well and not blind oncoming traffic at the same time. I could tell very little difference between high and low beam
Very happy with this bulb and it doesn't blind drivers when you ride.

·
Registered
03 mean streak
33 Posts
Installed mine today with some L brackets I had lying around the garage.

Looks to be awesome. Big improvement over the factory light with led bulb.

Reactions: Tsar and cjessee73
1 - 20 of 20 Posts