Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent days scouring the Google for an LED Headlight Assembly that is actually compatible with my 01 1500 Classic. I've found all of...... ONE. But it's no longer available.

I've seen where people have said you only need a metric adapter to make the Harley ones fit, but upon looking at the adapter (Adjure - T70RGA - Metric Headlight Ring Adapter for sale online | eBay) I cannot see how that would make a darn bit of difference.

It seems like the pictures of the tons of available lights for Harley only show one mounting screw in the adjuster rings.

I do NOT want an LED bulb in the stock bucket.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find either an assembly that actually works in this bike, or at least know how to make one of these Harley assemblies work?

I really hate to drop $140 on something that has no way of "rigging" it into my bike.

And I'm also sick of riding with a flashlight strapped to my handlebars because that's about what the stock headlight amounts to!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've spent days scouring the Google for an LED Headlight Assembly that is actually compatible with my 01 1500 Classic. I've found all of...... ONE. But it's no longer available.

I've seen where people have said you only need a metric adapter to make the Harley ones fit, but upon looking at the adapter (Adjure - T70RGA - Metric Headlight Ring Adapter for sale online | eBay) I cannot see how that would make a darn bit of difference.

It seems like the pictures of the tons of available lights for Harley only show one mounting screw in the adjuster rings.

I do NOT want an LED bulb in the stock bucket.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find either an assembly that actually works in this bike, or at least know how to make one of these Harley assemblies work?

I really hate to drop $140 on something that has no way of "rigging" it into my bike.

And I'm also sick of riding with a flashlight strapped to my handlebars because that's about what the stock headlight amounts to!
Searching the same, there is the adapter rings but I am a bit hesitant about them...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
I bought an inexpensive Adjure for my 900 and went to install it. A total piece of crap. Only has one aiming adjuster while the stock has two. The adapter ring they said I needed also was a poor fit. Could not get the headlight in a decent position due to only one aiming adjuster. Overall poor quality product. Guess you get what you pay for. Took it and threw it in the garbage.
Probably some of their more expensive lights are better but I’m not willing to take a chance. On the flip side, some other members here say they have not had any problems with their products and like them.

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
Also wanted to mention that your 1500 headlight Is the same as the 900. Kawasaki part number 23007-1396. So if you look into an led for a 900 it should fit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased a headlight assembly and the driving lights separately. Both on eBay (total of ~$75). The headlight claims it is a "fit" for this bike (although I suspect only because it's a 7" headlight) and the driving lights are for Harley. I believe the the driving lights will work even though they are not exactly the same shape as what I have... I think I can bend the clips if needed to keep them secure.

My main concern is the headlight, but that's one reason why I opted for eBay... money back guarantee! It no fit? Item not as described... get my money back!

Anyhoo.... once I get the stuff and if I can make it work, I'll post the lights that I bought and some pics of any issues I encounter along the way, and possibly some before/after pics as well.

I've seen a lot of threads where people promise to post pics as I've just done, but never do. If I don't post anything within the next week ** CALL ME OUT ON IT! :p

·
Premium Member
2003 Nomad Maroon/beige and 2003 Nomad Black
73 Posts
I purchased a headlight assembly and the driving lights separately. Both on eBay (total of ~$75). The headlight claims it is a "fit" for this bike (although I suspect only because it's a 7" headlight) and the driving lights are for Harley. I believe the the driving lights will work even though they are not exactly the same shape as what I have... I think I can bend the clips if needed to keep them secure.

My main concern is the headlight, but that's one reason why I opted for eBay... money back guarantee! It no fit? Item not as described... get my money back!

Anyhoo.... once I get the stuff and if I can make it work, I'll post the lights that I bought and some pics of any issues I encounter along the way, and possibly some before/after pics as well.

I've seen a lot of threads where people promise to post pics as I've just done, but never do. If I don't post anything within the next week ** CALL ME OUT ON IT! :p
I am looking at this one Adapter ring It looks sturdier and easier to make adjustments if needed to to work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am looking at this one Adapter ring It looks sturdier and easier to make adjustments if needed to to work.
That is definitely a much sturdier ring, but it doesn't look like there's any way of attaching it to the trim ring.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update.

I received and installed the driving lights a couple days ago. I don't know what brand the light bar is so I just bought 4.5 LED driving lights for Harley. They fit just fine. I bent a couple of the little clips that hold them into place but nothing serious. I did also have to do a little "custom" wiring. (I had to ground them to the bar itself... someday, I may tap that ground into the main headlight ground.)

I was a little skeptical. After installing the first one, I hit the key and starter button to light it up and it looked a LOT dimmer than what I replaced and also looked blue instead of white. But, I went ahead and installed the other one too figuring it may be different when riding. Plus everything I was doing was un-do-able.

What a difference! It creates a light pattern that has a dead straight line across the top that extends well beyond the side of the road on each side and comes down in an arc to the road in front of the bike. It makes the shape of a bowl or a half-circle. I could barely even tell that the old yellow headlight was still lit. Not only can I now see the road in front of me, but I can see every crack, ripple, and stone - even with oncoming traffic! Plus it lights up the shoulders of the road like you wouldn't believe! I cannot wait to get the headlight in!!!!

But, that brings me to the next story. The headlight. I just received that as well... and surprise, surprise. It does NOT simply bolt on like the listing claims.

After close inspection, it appears the ONLY way to make it work is with the cheap Adjure adapter ring I posted a link to before. I've ordered one and should be here Monday. Also, I will lose left/right headlight adjustment. But at least I will still be able to adjust vertically.............. that is, ASSUMING that the adapter ring will even work.... which it MAY NOT.

I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also wanted to mention that your 1500 headlight Is the same as the 900. Kawasaki part number 23007-1396. So if you look into an led for a 900 it should fit.
Hey Tourer, Wanted to piggy back on this topic. I’m looking to change the old dim bulbs on my 01 Nomad 1500. Do you have any recommendations on changing out the old dim “yellow” bulbs to some white LED’s? (H-lamp and driving)

·
Super Moderator
2,367 Posts
Hi Dano1500. The light subject has been discussed at length on this forum. I personally do not ride at night, so probably would not be the best member to ask about modifications. That said I would like to add some a driving light bar with some bright amber driving light for a better daytime presence. Here is a couple of searches on this forum. Pay particular attention to the posts from member Sabre-t. He is well versed on this subject. Thanks. Be well.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
23 Posts
Quick update.

I received and installed the driving lights a couple days ago. I don't know what brand the light bar is so I just bought 4.5 LED driving lights for Harley. They fit just fine. I bent a couple of the little clips that hold them into place but nothing serious. I did also have to do a little "custom" wiring. (I had to ground them to the bar itself... someday, I may tap that ground into the main headlight ground.)

I was a little skeptical. After installing the first one, I hit the key and starter button to light it up and it looked a LOT dimmer than what I replaced and also looked blue instead of white. But, I went ahead and installed the other one too figuring it may be different when riding. Plus everything I was doing was un-do-able.

What a difference! It creates a light pattern that has a dead straight line across the top that extends well beyond the side of the road on each side and comes down in an arc to the road in front of the bike. It makes the shape of a bowl or a half-circle. I could barely even tell that the old yellow headlight was still lit. Not only can I now see the road in front of me, but I can see every crack, ripple, and stone - even with oncoming traffic! Plus it lights up the shoulders of the road like you wouldn't believe! I cannot wait to get the headlight in!!!!

But, that brings me to the next story. The headlight. I just received that as well... and surprise, surprise. It does NOT simply bolt on like the listing claims.

After close inspection, it appears the ONLY way to make it work is with the cheap Adjure adapter ring I posted a link to before. I've ordered one and should be here Monday. Also, I will lose left/right headlight adjustment. But at least I will still be able to adjust vertically.............. that is, ASSUMING that the adapter ring will even work.... which it MAY NOT.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Sounds like they have a good pattern.
What did you mount them to?
I see alot of lights out there with a terrible pattern.
A night shot of the pattern on the wall would be great..I may have to get some myself.
My five hundred already has an led that someone put in the headlamp..it's bright but there is too much scatter for me.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A night shot of the pattern on the wall would be great..I may have to get some myself.
My five hundred already has an led that someone put in the headlamp..it's bright but there is too much scatter for me.

The light bar was on the bike when I bought it and it has no markings on it anywhere so I don't know what brand it is. I'm sure if you can find a light bar for your bike it will more than likely have 4.5" lights and the 4.5" led lights for Harley will fit.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the light pattern tonight for you.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
23 Posts
The light bar was on the bike when I bought it and it has no markings on it anywhere so I don't know what brand it is. I'm sure if you can find a light bar for your bike it will more than likely have 4.5" lights and the 4.5" led lights for Harley will fit.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the light pattern tonight for you.
I await for darkness.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Pic 1. Parking lot, stock headlight only.

Pic 2. Parking lot, stock headlight and new led driving lights.

Pic 3. Road with just headlight

Pic4. Road with both.

20201018_185216.jpg
20201018_185225.jpg
20201018_185349.jpg
20201018_185357.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize NOW I shoulda taken them in landscape to get the full width... but I think you can still see the HUGE difference!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
23 Posts
I realize NOW I shoulda taken them in landscape to get the full width... but I think you can still see the HUGE difference!
Those are awesome..great side visibility and brightens the road with increased distance as well.. all without shining into the face of oncoming traffic...it's a home run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They come in chrome too if you don't like the blackout look. I was gonna post a pic of them installed on the bike, but I transferred those pics onto my desktop computer and I'm using my phone now. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the new headlight installed today. It wasn't too bad. However, I did lose left/right adjustability and at some point I'll need to brace the light inside the adjuster bracket because without the left/right adjuster installed, it's only the vertical opposing screws holding the light to the adjuster bracket via the Adjure adapter ring that is holding the light stationary inside the adjuster (left/right).

That being said, it is better than stock, but nowhere near as bright as I'd expected. Although I may just not have the vertical adjustment set good enough yet.

The only pics I have so far are just of the lights themselves... no night time scatter pics.

20201019_163955.jpg
20201019_163937.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts