Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the halogen headlamp bulb with a plug and play fan cooled led bulb. It's nice and bright, just what I wanted. Sitting in the driveway, no issues. Went out for a ride that night and immediately ran into a problem. When shifting from 1-2 or 2-3, the headlight goes out until I shift again or shift to neutral. Anyone seen or heard of this issue? I can't seem to find info on this specific problem anywhere.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
What happens in the driveway if you rev up the engine to the higher RPM like where you're shifting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works fine at all other times, its only when shifting from 1-2, or 2-3. I suspect the same thing, because it only happens if i'm really on it. if i accelerate slowly it's fine. I've checked the connections, rattled things around and can not reproduce the problem any other way.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi Adler,
My first thought is that there is something funky going on with the headlight relay.
I suggest giving your clutch switch a shot of lube. Maybe give the neutral switch a look see also.
Otherwise try a new headlight relay.
Does the lamp have an over heat shut off or does it have the ability to shut off if it detects the fan not turning? maybe something is blocking the fan from turning

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lubed the switched, first thing. Tried a different led light, same issues. Only happens with those shifts. It does not happen with a regular bulb though. I wonder if it has something to do with the small load, but I’m not sure why that would cause this specific problem.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I can't imagine any link between the headlight circuit and transmission, but you say it only happens when you're really on it. So I'm thinking it has to do with acceleration, not engine operation. Is something able to move, either come loose or block the fan, when g forces are present? Either something around the relay, or in the bucket?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it doesn't happen with the regular bulb it has to be something with the led bulb. What exact led bulb is it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Undependable performance was why I junked my LED replacement bulbs (I tried several), and replaced the entire headlight with a JW Speaker LED unit. I only wish I'd done that in the first place rather than persist with cheaper alternatives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts