Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
So I've poured through thread after thread trying to figure out what flasher I'll need to replace the stock one when upgrading to LEDs. There were several that had links to some but they were all either broken or the links no longer existed on their respective sites (404 errors). I've searched eBay and Amazon (both to no avail) trying to find an electronic plug and play flasher unit for the 900.

For the record, I don't want to install load regulators due to the heat build up, and feel the flasher route is the best way to go. I already have the lights and diode kit for the dash light on order, I just need to know what flasher to get. If anyone can point me to the correct one I would be SO appreciative.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Would like to switch to LEDs for my front run/turn lights and rear turns on my Voyager, and want to do just the flasher also rather than cutting into the wiring.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Question: Do you only need 1 of the relays then instead of separate diodes for every light?
Yup. Just need 1 flasher. Simply disconnect the stock flasher that's in front of the battery (on the 900) and plug in he one I linked above. simple plug and play. Almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

Now, if swapping out all 4 turn signal bulbs to LED, the Diode kit that the OP referenced is still needed.

Flasher unit allows the LEDs to flash.
Diode kit stops all 4 from flashing at the same time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To clarify Ndr's post, you will need 2 diodes for your turn-signal indicator lamp in the dash [OR...cut the wires to the dash lamp and do without it]...but you will not need anything at the turn-signals themselves (load-resistors).

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of your input. I found this one Flasher Relay pretty inexpensive on eBay (less than $20 shipped) and it looks similar to the one Ndr linked to. The compatibility says it'll work with the 900 so will find out when it gets here. As far as the diode kit, I got the Kuryakyn diode kit for $5 shipped on eBay as well. Now I just have to wait for my extended cables and brake line, hard bags and supports, LED's, new fender, relay, diode, and risers to come in and I can start my bagger project :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
same one I used. works great.

To clarify Ndr's post, you will need 2 diodes for your turn-signal indicator lamp in the dash [OR...cut the wires to the dash lamp and do without it]...but you will not need anything at the turn-signals themselves (load-resistors).

actually, you only need one diode "kit" (yes it contains 2 diodes but easier to buy it assembled). read this link for keeping it inside your speedo cluster instead of outside

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174329

·
Registered
54 Posts
For some reason the kisan signal minder will fix the hyperflashing problem too. I have full LEDs and just lived with the hyperflashing not thinking it was a big deal and when I installed the signal minder they went back to regular flashing. I have no idea why it fixed it but it did and it's a handy add-on too.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have no idea why it fixed it but it did and it's a handy add-on too.
What model of Signal Minder did you install? I see they have an additional wire kit that contains the diodes that would fix a hyper flashing issue.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Darkarcher, that didnt really look all that fast, maybe fsster than normal, but not bad. Have seen some blink so fast, almost looked like were not blinking, and not as bright.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
156 Posts
I didnt say "kit" I said you need two diodes ;) Whether you buy them as one kit or buy two 1N4004, 1N4005, 1N4006, or 1N4007 or equivalent diodes is entirely up to you.

Most will find that because it is some-sort of "kit" they automatically spend more $ than buying two of these things outright. From my research, the diode-kit on Kuryakn on Amazon is $10 but you can buy a diode for like $0.20. All you get with the "kit" is shrink-wrap and some wire leads.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still waiting on the relay I bought to arrive, but I looked for the relay under the seat area and I can't figure out where it is to even replace it. :mad: I saw someone post in another thread that it's near the ECM (battery > ECM > relays) but I can't determine what's what. Can someone please post a pic of the location of the stock relay as reference?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can someone please post a pic of the location of the stock relay as reference?

If you stand over the bike looking forward, there is your battery, the ECU and then center front next to the ECU is the relay (signal control unit)

Location 'C'

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you stand over the bike looking forward, there is your battery, the ECU and then center front next to the ECU is the relay (signal control unit)

Location 'C'

Thanks so much! I actually had it in my hand yesterday and didn't realize it. Would be helpful if it actually said "relay" on it somewhere but if it did I didn't see it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts