Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have been thinking about doing this for a long time but never really get into it. I have went back to the thread i started months ago and i found out some people use " LED flasher relay slow kit" it just plug and play.

What i'm planing to do is change out all 4 turn signals to LED and break lights too. I found out those bulb came with kawi takes out a lot of wattage.
21W when flashing and 5w when running....

reason i want to change all is because i look at my indicator for battery, it always stay in yellow when i hold break or turn signal is flashing, but when not using signal or holding break it stay green.

so anyway i talk too much. lets get to the point, Where do i buy those flasher relay plug and play?? how do they work ? do they work lets say one flaser relay for one signal ? or one flasher relay for both rear or front ??
where do i plug in ?

thanks to anyone who have info about it or pictures how they hook it up.
thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
EVO make it easy on youself and go buy a electronic flasher at any auto parts store. replace your stock flasher with the new one and all will work.Electronic flashers don't care what blubs you have they flash the same with 1 or 10.It does not depend on the blub load to make it work like the factory flasher does.Hope this helps.Have a great ride.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EVO make it easy on youself and go buy a electronic flasher at any auto parts store. replace your stock flasher with the new one and all will work.Electronic flashers don't care what blubs you have they flash the same with 1 or 10.It does not depend on the blub load to make it work like the factory flasher does.Hope this helps.Have a great ride.
Can you be a little more specific ? which electronic flasher should i use ?
do you have it on your bike ? if you do please let me know where you got it and what brand or part number it is. thank you so much :)

·
Banned
254 Posts
If you're going to install LEDs for turn signals, you need to replace your OEM turn signal control flasher unit and install a Standard DOT Flasher below. With this 2 wire Standard DOT Flasher you will lose your automatic turn signal cancel feature, meaning you will have to push the button manually to turn off the signals.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Also you will need to install a Diode Kit for metric cruisers on the speedo turn signal bulb wires, here is the Diode Kit below
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Genesis_Metric_Cruiser_Diode_Kit

Diode kit goes like this in the speedo if you have a bulb.

If your bike has a circuit board in the speedo, the diode kit goes like thi.:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
easy way out, just get a led flasher relay.
Ok, so you mean if i get either one of the flasher relay i mentioned above from ebay. I DO NOT need to do the diode mod ??
Because i was under the impression that even i put a flasher relay i still need to do the diode mod.

So in conclusion, If i plug a FLASHER RELAY to replace the original flasher relay, I DO NOT need to do the diode mod.

Please let me know. thank you so so much.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're going to install LEDs for turn signals, you need to replace your OEM turn signal control flasher unit and install a Standard DOT Flasher below. With this 2 wire Standard DOT Flasher you will lose your automatic turn signal cancel feature, meaning you will have to push the button manually to turn off the signals.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Also you will need to install a Diode Kit for metric cruisers on the speedo turn signal bulb wires, here is the Diode Kit below
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Genesis_Metric_Cruiser_Diode_Kit

Diode kit goes like this in the speedo if you have a bulb.

If your bike has a circuit board in the speedo, the diode kit goes like thi.:
Thank you for the picture diagram, that way its a lot easier to understand.
But for VN900, do i need diode even tho i'm replacing the OEM flasher relay with LED flasher relay ??

·
Banned
254 Posts
when installing LEDs on turn signals, with a OEM flasher , it will flash at a faster then normal rate, so the Standard DOT Flasher brings the flash rate back to normal again. The Diode kit is needed because with no diode kit, when you turn the left turn signal on, all 4 front and rear signals with flash all at the same time, so with a diode kit installed, it prevents current from back-flowing to all 4 signals and it stops the flow at the turn signal bulb where you install the diodes.

·
Banned
254 Posts
maybe the 900 does not need diodes on the signal wires, I know the vulcan 1500 does, but check the wiring diagram for the 900 and see how its wired up

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well...i look everywhere on google for wiring diagrams for VN900 with no luck.
i guess i will just have to open up the meter gauge to see wassup.
can anyone tell me what exactly diode i have to get ?
thanks for the help.

·
Banned
254 Posts
Before you buy any diode kit, first determine if the 900 needs them, I know the vulcan 1500 does, you really need a clymers manual, it has a wiring diagram for the 900, with it you can trace the turn signal wiring and see if a diode is needed

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before you buy any diode kit, first determine if the 900 needs them, I know the vulcan 1500 does, you really need a clymers manual, it has a wiring diagram for the 900, with it you can trace the turn signal wiring and see if a diode is needed
I have just ordered all 4 turn signal, so when i get it, i will put it on with the LED flasher relay and see what happen. I will let you know see if i need the diode or not, I have no idea what diode i should get if i need it.:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so here is what happen. i swap out all 4 turn signal to LEDs and now i get all 4 light up at the same time. i got LED flasher relay installed and it makes the LED blink at DOT rate and thats all it does......lol..... so I think i either disconnect the indicator light or put on a diode if its eazy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just removed the turn signal indicator bulb instead of a diode and everything works fine along with the electronic LED flasher. Can you tell me what LED's you used for the front signals? I have to replace mine as you cannot see them very well. Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just removed the turn signal indicator bulb instead of a diode and everything works fine along with the electronic LED flasher. Can you tell me what LED's you used for the front signals? I have to replace mine as you cannot see them very well. Thanks

Brian
The LEDs i got it from was Pepboys and only just for testing.
i returned all of them after. i ordered online for the right angle LEDs and still waitting shipping from AZ. so we will see after i get it to know how bright is it.
not many people make right angle LEDs on 1156 and 1157.
some people got it from superbrightleds.com but they dont have amber, only red. so i got it from www.autolumination.com. they have both red and amber.
They look about the same from superbrightLED.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts