Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the Fire and Steel light bar for added visability and extra driving lites. Pretty expensive when I already have turn signals. Was looking at purchasing LED driving lites for the low draw on the alternator for the same amt. of light as the halogen lites. Has anyone purchased and installed any LED driving lites. If so which make, how do you like them, did they come with a switch and wiring harness and of course how much were they. I would appreciate any and all opinions. I live in the country where there is lots of skunks and deer.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I put Kuryakyn bullet lamps on the frame of my 800b. I replaced the Halogen lamps with LED bulbs. Went from 30W each, to 4W each. This winter I also added a Kuryakyn light bar. I replace the H3 lamps with SMT LEDs. (reduce from 25W each, to 5W each) They all work fine. Great to add extra lighting to be seen, not so great for road illumination. I have them alternate switched through a relay so I can run either set, but, only one set at a time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
BB, I did tons of research, which isn't to say I made the best pick for just anyone, but I wound up going with Photon blasters (and the accompanying rear light setup) They've not arrived yet, as I just ordered yesterday, but I went for pure conspicuity. Most of the reviews I've seen said that they're quite bright, but I'll happily let you know once I get them installed. I seriously considered some $40 LED driving lights from WalMart to attach to my crash bars. They weren't available in chrome, but I may do that later on ANYWAY if I decide I'm not happy with nighttime illumination from the photon blasters.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bear2123 Thanks for the reply. Glad they made you more visiable.Surprised that they didn't help the driving lite part. Did not know you could switch halogens to LEDS. Good information.
Big T Thanks for the reply. I would look forward to your review after you have them installed. When my bike got totalled in Oct. Woman claimed she couldn't see me. Want to be a little more visible but also would like extra driving lite for wildlife. I figure with gettting both more visability and driving lite visability I would accomplish both. Thanks to both replies.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Bear2123 Thanks for the reply. Glad they made you more visiable.Surprised that they didn't help the driving lite part. Did not know you could switch halogens to LEDS. Good information.
Big T Thanks for the reply. I would look forward to your review after you have them installed. When my bike got totalled in Oct. Woman claimed she couldn't see me. Want to be a little more visible but also would like extra driving lite for wildlife. I figure with gettting both more visability and driving lite visability I would accomplish both. Thanks to both replies.
LED tech is growing fast. Largest problem they face is focusing the LEDs to incandescent reflectors. Even there some great strides have been made using SMLEDs. Many direct replacement lamps are now available. Don't get discouraged if what you may buy the first time isn't ideal. Lot's of LED lamps are coming out of China now and they're cheap and mass produced. Quality suffers. Many new and upcoming USA manufacturers are coming on line and the quality is there and the costs are coming down. CREE is a great example. I have a box full of LED bulbs that aren't worth the postage to send them back to the manufacturer. Then again. I've purchased some USA units that impress the daylights out of me. Another year, maybe two, incandescent lamps will be going bye, bye in automotive applications. Power generation in automotive is a big HP consumer. Lighter elec loads means lower power needs and smaller/less HP hungry power generation.

Lens tech has to catch up to LED needs. Don't be mislead by my statement that the LED lights aren't a road lighting improvement. They do throw light which always helps. It's just not as focused as it could be. It's a compromise. Fitting 21st century tech into housings/lenses and reflectors that have been used for decades and developed for incandescent lamps. It will happen!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Will do. The thing that sold me on the Photon blasters is that they flicker in peripheral vision, drawing the eye and brain to register the bike, but do not appear to flicker when viewed directly. I also went on and got the "ALERT" feature, which allows you to pump the brake twice in rapid succession, and flashes the front lights very brightly. I figure this will help at intersections and hopefully with the evil college kids on cell phones joining me on the freeway more than somewhat unceremoniously.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
OK, since you're open to ideas... I wired my Kuryakyn bullet lights with quad LED lamps. Being LEDs I also incorporated a variable resistor into the normal running mode. I run them around 8-9V typically. THEN, I wired a normally open relay to a full 12V, and activate the relay by the horn switch. SO, when I mash the blow button on the WOLO, the front road lamps go to full bright at the same time! The combined Flash and noise seems to get attention!

·
Registered
397 Posts
OK, since you're open to ideas... I wired my Kuryakyn bullet lights with quad LED lamps. Being LEDs I also incorporated a variable resistor into the normal running mode. I run them around 8-9V typically. THEN, I wired a normally open relay to a full 12V, and activate the relay by the horn switch. SO, when I mash the blow button on the WOLO, the front road lamps go to full bright at the same time! The combined Flash and noise seems to get attention!
VERY good idea, and sounds like pretty straightforward wiring as well!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bear and Big T. Thanks for your tips and information on these applications. These give me some ideas. I have never thought about more viisability and driving lites until this accident. For the dollars a little proactive approach is worth it. I will await your opinion on the photon blaster install and will also look at the Cree site. Since my last reply I also came across Custom Dynamics. Lots of info. to digest. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Driving Lights

I know this a little off topic, but has anyone put a set for driving lights from psycho-moto in Canada? They are on ebay and they are like 60 bucks.. they cant be all that great, but some light is alwaws better than none. I have emailed them to find out what bulbs are in them, but no reply yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a follow up in my search for ideas for led driving lites/ running lites. I have found two other companies that make them. One is made by PIAA model 1100 Part # 73122. They have a led lens that really shows the road well and shows the bike presence as well to the cagers. They are pricey but they are on amazon quite a bit cheaper than from the PIAA site along with a 20% off coupon price good to April something. Second company is motorcycle innovations that make the Fenix bullet led light kit powered by Cree XML-T6 LEDS. Both companies supply wire harness, relays, switch with their kits. Check them out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Answer back

I received an answer from psycho moto on the driving lights on ebay. all they could tell me was that they were incandescent bulbs as specified by the manufacture but gave no bulb number.
I was thinking about maybe getting these and adding led bulbs if they were available, but still have not decided yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts