Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am trying to convert my signals to LED's. I find that I can put LED's in the rear and they work fine and the the indicator flashes normal. The problem is when I add LED's in the front. I have tried the load method but did not help. I found out if you have one signal indicator like the vn900 you have to add a cross over preventor circuit. The picture I attached shows it has three wires and I understand it has a couple of diodes. I want to make one but cannot locate anything on the web about how to make and how to wire it in. They are 8 bucks on online, no big deal but shipping is 7 bucks also.:eek: I was wandering if anyone can provide any information to help me build and install one of these circuits. It keeps the voltage from bleeding over I understand which may solve my problem.:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Locate the wire loom going to the console. At a convenient spot locate the green wire and the gray wire. These are the two wires going to your indicator bulb. Cut both wires. Splice the two wires to each diode being mindful of the direction (polarity) of the diode. Twist the other end of both diodes together and splice to the gray wire going to the console. Extend the green wire coming from the console to a convenient frame ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LED Crossover Preventer

Wow, thank you so much Sojourner! Do you know the size of the diodes you used? Are the IN4001's OK?
As I side note I joined the "Kawasakimotorcycle.org" forum last night and found where they are actually replacing the indicator bulb with a LED type. The attachments show the final product and wiring diagram. I do not think they would mind if I shared.
The link is showing how it flashes after the Mod. Looks pretty good. I may go the LED route! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x3oFRJrHQ-k

Thanks again for your response. I may try your way first.:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Wow, thank you so much Sojourner! Do you know the size of the diodes you used? Are the IN4001's OK?
As I side note I joined the "Kawasakimotorcycle.org" forum last night and found where they are actually replacing the indicator bulb with a LED type. The attachments show the final product and wiring diagram. I do not think they would mind if I shared.
The link is showing how it flashes after the Mod. Looks pretty good. I may go the LED route! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x3oFRJrHQ-k

Thanks again for your response. I may try your way first.:cool:
According to the shop manual the indicator bulb draws 2 watts so you will need to size the diodes to the bulb just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Sojourner, Good advice. Time to get my OHM's law out of the cob webs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love the indicator led mod!!. Last summer I just remove the bulb i had no time to make the diod mod. How they make the led stay in place? Do you have the full link thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
253 Posts
With this led indicator mod it will fix the feedback problem wen you add led signal on the front and back.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
With this led indicator mod it will fix the feedback problem wen you add led signal on the front and back.

Installing the diodes per the circuit drawn will eliminate the crossover without having to open the instrument panel. Just leave the 2 watt bulb in place.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Installing the diodes per the circuit drawn will eliminate the crossover without having to open the instrument panel. Just leave the 2 watt bulb in place.
Yeah! I know the led indicating mod its just a nother way to make it work.......

·
Registered
253 Posts
True. But, it's winter and a good reason to get out and visit with the bike! Not making "work", just incremental improvements!
Make it work....sorry its another solution... For feedback wen you install front and rear led signal....

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Diode

Make it work....sorry its another solution... For feedback wen you install front and rear led signal....

However a single diode, indicator light replacement, will not fix the feedback issue. I thought that was the latest question.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The led with the 2 diod on past post will fix the feedback!!. But only one diode will not fix yeah

·
Registered
253 Posts
This will fix the feedback because of the 2 diode I'm talking about this mod

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Comment was about the "advantage" of an LED indicator. Nothing mentioned about the diode fix. I'm a FCC liscensed HAM radio operator and fix radios. I understand diodes, uses, applications, types and purpose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts