Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Does anyone have any suggestions on a bright led replacement bulb for the brake light? I figured I would change it when I put in the new rear tire. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am a rolling advertisement for CustomDynamics.com.

My entire rear end is from them. You'll love what you see!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Dunno about LED lamps but in cases where I want a brighter brake light (and turn signal where same is used) I will sub a 2357 lamp in place of 1157.

The high filament in 2357 doesn't last as long as in 1157 but it is noticeably brighter.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I don't put LED bulbs in the rear of my bike because of the contrast factor, I mean the contrast difference between running tail light low to brake applied light high, I believe the more contrast between this low to high alerts the driver behind you that you've just applied the brake lever, with LED bulbs the difference in this contrast between low tail light to high brake light is deminished thus not grabbing the driver's attention sooner, so for a better contrast i installed 2357 bulbs

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I don't put LED bulbs in the rear of my bike because of the contrast factor, I mean the contrast difference between running tail light low to brake applied light high, I believe the more contrast between this low to high alerts the driver behind you that you've just applied the brake lever, with LED bulbs the difference in this contrast between low tail light to high brake light is deminished thus not grabbing the driver's attention sooner, so for a better contrast i installed 2357 bulbs
It's true that many LEDs for the rear lights are not bright enough, but there are some that are quite bright. I haven't looked for any in a long time, so I don't have any recommendations, though. However, if you can find a good, bright LED replacement, especially for the brake lights, several studies have shown that they have some advantages for getting the attention of the drivers behind you: 1) If brake lights are really obnoxiously bright (but still legal) they are better at grabbing attention. 2) LEDs of the same brightness will grab more attention than incandescent ones. The instant on/off of the LED does this much better than the fade on/off of an incandescent. 3) Combining the two is even more effective.

One study done by the NTSB, I believe, intentionally distracted drivers to test a variety of variables including those above and their results were pretty impressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts