Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for a good BRIGHT LED light for my tail/brake light... can't seem to find any. Dad had a light that swirled around and flashed when you applied the brakes, but it was dim, and honestly, I didn't like the swirling around when you were just cruising around...

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been thinking about adding the Clear Alternatives tail LED. There's a simple direct replacement board, and also an integrated one with turn signals that I'd really like... but I'm just not sure yet if they'll work with the Küry Triple Whammy that I already have.

I linked you to the whole page for Vulcan goods. Scroll down to the 900 stuff

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sylvania makes these claims:

Product Features:
Up to 100% longer life
Same wattage and voltage as standard bulb
Same light output as standard bulb
Legal for on-road use

So the LL is long Life, but it doesn't claim to be any brighter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you looking for LED lights just for the sake of LED lights, or is your goal to be more visible and let the soccer moms, texting teens, etc behind you let you know what you are doing without question?
If it's the latter, my suggestion is "hyperlites" flashing brake lights. Google it and there are videos on there, but all in all, it's a set of LED's that pulse on and off for several seconds when you apply the brake, then go to steady burn. It really catches your eye!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just bought a pair of the flashing red brakelight LED's from Electropods. The instructions say that installation is simple; just wire it directly to (or, on the brakelight side of) the brakelight switch. Uh..... where is that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not certain on your specific bike, but more than likely the switches are right on the pedal/lever. I wouldn't bother tapping the wire into either of the switches since you will have to run the hot wire all the way to the back. Just find the hot wire back by the tail light and splice in there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
How do we know which is the 'hot wire' and which is the 'brake wire' ? They're not the same wire.... are they?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok, get a $2 test light at walmart that you just clip to a good ground. Pull your seat, try your best to trace the wires back from your brake light so you have a good idea of which couple of wires you're working with. Then find a point, preferably positioned under your seat somewhere to poke into the wires to test for current, the test light will light up if it's there. Then pull your brake lever and test again to find the wire that wasn't hot before but is now. That's the hot feed to your brake light. That's the wire you want to cut and splice your device into. I'm just trying to make it simple here for you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok, get a $2 test light at walmart that you just clip to a good ground. Pull your seat, try your best to trace the wires back from your brake light so you have a good idea of which couple of wires you're working with. Then find a point, preferably positioned under your seat somewhere to poke into the wires to test for current, the test light will light up if it's there. Then pull your brake lever and test again to find the wire that wasn't hot before but is now. That's the hot feed to your brake light. That's the wire you want to cut and splice your device into. I'm just trying to make it simple here for you. Hope this helps.
Hey, BD Man !!! Thanks for your advice! I'm all about simple.... the simpler it is, the less likely I am to screw it up... LOL !!! I'll have to give that a shot!

·
Registered
382 Posts
check wiring diagram on the bike if there's one handy. Otherwise follow /check the wires yourself.

I have a clamp on ammeter, I think this would work as well, as current would flow when the light is on, and of course not be flowing when the light is off. It might show 0.5A or so, but a reading when 'on' is for sure different than when off (0.00 A)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I realized last night how stupid what I had posted on this thread was, sorry. Don't buy a test light when you have the brake like plugged up to the wire. That's your test light. There are connections under your seat, the larger bullet connectors are your brake light connectors, smaller ones turn signals. The larger blue one is for your brake light, the red one is for your driving light, and third is the ground. If you want to add a device to modulate your brake light to flash or something else then you would do it inline with the blue wire, easily done with a couple of crimp on bullet connectors to add the wires on your device, then it would plug right into the line and no need to cut, splice or anything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts