Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to add a little more power to my rear brake light. I wanted to upgrade it to LED, and I was wondering the size of the light itself. I found a nice LED replacement bulb that says it replaces "1157" bulbs. I was wondering if this bulb is compatible with the stock brake light on a Vn 900. I also found a "3157" replacement. Would either of these fit the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I was looking to add a little more power to my rear brake light. I wanted to upgrade it to LED, and I was wondering the size of the light itself. I found a nice LED replacement bulb that says it replaces "1157" bulbs. I was wondering if this bulb is compatible with the stock brake light on a Vn 900. I also found a "3157" replacement. Would either of these fit the bike.
I doubt that you'll find any current 1157 LED replacement bulb that would qualify as "adding a little more power" over an incandescent bulb. While a good LED bulb may look a little brighter if viewed directly from the rear, the view from an angle to either side will probably be much dimmer than a standard bulb in the same housing. There are some higher power incandescent bulbs available that would be a better choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look into an LED license plate frame. I had one one my 2006 1600 classic, and I am looking for one for my 2009 900 custom

Mike

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another thing you could look into is this LED replacement from Clear Alternatives. It's not just a bulb, but an array of LEDs that really shine.

(I would really like to add this to mine, only I'm not certain if it would be compatible with the Küryakyn "Triple Whammy" R-T-B controller which has it's own circuitry.)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, but the actual point of my question is whether a "1157" bulb would fit on the Vulcan 900. I have not decided on a bulb yet, im still looking, but I wanted to know if the 1157 would be compatible

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Check into hyperlites too. Thinking of adding a set to my 9'er after seeing them on a friend's Nomad.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but is a 1157 bulb compatible with the brake light?
The 1157 bulb IS the proper bulb for the tail/stop light for your bike.
It is the same tail light bulb that was in my old '57 Chevy! They have been around forever, and you can find them anywhere.
If you have a red lens, then get a clear bulb.
If you have a clear lens, get a red bulb.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Also, just remembered, although it's not an LED replacement, the Sylvania 2357 bulb fits the brake light, and is 25-30% brighter.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Not sure that would be a good choice-
Here is a link to bulb characteristics which show the 1157 brake element having an output of 26.8 watts, while the 2357 brake element having an output of just 28.2 watts. However, the 2357's life expectancy is but 1/3 of the 1157 bulb.
http://www.run-n-lites.com/bulbspec.asp

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Not sure that would be a good choice-
Here is a link to bulb characteristics which show the 1157 brake element having an output of 26.8 watts, while the 2357 brake element having an output of just 28.2 watts. However, the 2357's life expectancy is but 1/3 of the 1157 bulb.
http://www.run-n-lites.com/bulbspec.asp
That's why you'd want to get the 2357 LL (Long Life) :D Plus, ya buy 'em in 2's and keep an extra along with ya, which I do with just about any bulb on the bike, just in case.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the help. I ended up purchasing the 1157 LED bulb from Custom Dynamics. Its a "rotating/pulsating" bulb. The leds have a circular pattern when it's on as a running light, and when you apply the brakes, the light pulses. I kinda like the concept, it should in theory attract more attention. The light was $25.00, so if it doesnt meet my expectations, it isnt the end of the world. Ill let ya know how it is

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes, please let use know if you end up liking it.. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I just recieved the 1157 Rotating/pulsating LED bulb from Custom Dynamics today. the installation was a snap, just remove the taillight cover, remove the bulb, and place the new bulb in. I must say, the light is great. When the tail light is on, the LED diodes light up in counter-clockwise, and clockwise patterns, which definately makes it catch the eyes of people driving behind you. When you apply the brakes, the LED pulses consistently until you release the brakes, at which point it continues its rotating pattern. I must say, for $25, this light is something everyone should get. It looks great, but ultimately it grabs the attention of those driving behind you, which is something we cannot take for granted.

·
Registered
273 Posts
LED light

Is this the correct link for the one you bought? I was thinking of buying the Kury Triple Whammy set up to get more red back there, I wonder if it would be compatable with this since you are only adding the turn signals with that setup? Do you not need a LED controller with this, it doesn't say you do?

http://customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#1157

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this the correct link for the one you bought? I was thinking of buying the Kury Triple Whammy set up to get more red back there, I wonder if it would be compatable with this since you are only adding the turn signals with that setup? Do you not need a LED controller with this, it doesn't say you do?

http://customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#1157
Yeah that is the correct link, and that's the light. It should be compatibile with the triple whammy. All it is is a replacement bulb for the stock tail/brake bulb, that's it. Unscrew one bulb, screw in the other one, and your done. You do not need any controller, everything you need is controlled within the bulb itself, just plug it in and you're set to go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts