Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Venom,

Sound Off makes a module that will add the functionality that you are seeking with regular Incandescent bulbs: Sound Off Recreational, Inc. - Safety Lighting Products
Signal Dynamics makes a module too: Tri-Star? XP Turn Signal To Brake Light and Running Light Conversion Module - Signal Dynamics

However I am not sure if either will work properly with LED bulbs. I believe the issue is with the 'running lights' feature where 50% power is being fed to the turn signal bulbs. I guess you could run standard bulbs as turn signals and LED for the brake light.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not intimately familiar with LED/light vendors for the 500 Vulcan.

I'm seeing sportbikes only at motodynamic.com, quality integrated tail lights (with initial pulse as well). Wanting to update the lighting on my older Ducati, I was forced to choose and fab a tail light from another model. Checking dimensions.. I chose a CBR600 tail light, super bright even in daylight, pulses, integrated signals...my point is you will need to substitute/mod/fab to meet your goals here.

For visibility...on the older Duc I added additional rear LED turn signals and modded the fronts to LED....as the Ducati is older I was completely "on my own". I also had to perform a tricky wiring diode mod to enable the all LED turn signal circuit. When all was said and done...its **way** more visible with LEDs as opposed to the hopelessly outdated, 90's Ducati incandescent single bulb tail and signals. Well worth the great efforts.

signaldynamics.com offers "backoff" flashing brake light modules

No doubt you'll be "on your own" (as was I) ..improvising, unless folks more familiar with LED sources for the Vulcan can chime in....?

Gotta check your local laws too...radical changes may affect status of state safety inspections?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the LEDs, I just want to replace the incandescent with LEDs. I know there's something you have to do with adding diodes so that the LEDs work properly and don't 4 way flash or something. Just wasn't sure if there was something else I needed to do.

The "back off" have a module, the trip star xp that does what I need it to do I think, and works with LEDs, like what bikerBill said.

From everything I have found, your brake lights can be any color between Amber and red in Texas.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
for turn signals the normal is they come with 1156 bulbs in the rear which has 1 contact point on the bulb going into a 1 contact housing on the rear ones, on the front maybe a 1157 2 contact bulb into a 2 contact housing, but for the rear, to have the turn signal bulb become a running light also, you will need to change over that 1 contact housing in the rear to a 2 contact housing to accept a 2 contact bulb, and led bulbs draw little current which will trick your turn signal flasher into thinking the 1156 bulb is burnt out and the flash rate will be very fast, there is a fix for that and the old fix for that would be to install a load equalizer into the turn signal wires, the new fix is to buy and install special load equalizers built right into the led bulbs already, check out custom dynamics web site for this stuff

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for turn signals the normal is they come with 1156 bulbs in the rear which has 1 contact point on the bulb going into a 1 contact housing on the rear ones, on the front maybe a 1157 2 contact bulb into a 2 contact housing, but for the rear, to have the turn signal bulb become a running light also, you will need to change over that 1 contact housing in the rear to a 2 contact housing to accept a 2 contact bulb, and led bulbs draw little current which will trick your turn signal flasher into thinking the 1156 bulb is burnt out and the flash rate will be very fast, there is a fix for that and the old fix for that would be to install a load equalizer into the turn signal wires, the new fix is to buy and install special load equalizers built right into the led bulbs already, check out custom dynamics web site for this stuff
The back off module uses the turn signals at 50% brightness for running lights, full brightness for brake and turn, and handles the switching and load, so no extra contacts would be needed there from what I understand. I'll check into custom Dynamics, I wonder if super bright LEDs have similar as well.

I remember reading something somewhere about needing a diode also, I think on the idiot light, to keep them from all flashing when one side or the other is engaged.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Venom,

Here is a diagram for the diode circuit: https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/images/library/articles/mdk_diagram.jpg

There are kits available on the 'net but you can make your own with a pair of diodes sourced from your favorite electronics store. A soldering gun and shrink-wrap are your friend.

The nice thing is that if you go back to standard bulbs you don't have to remove the diodes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's what Texas law has to say about the color of those lights ...

Sec. 547.303. COLOR REQUIREMENTS. (a) Unless expressly provided otherwise, a lighting device or reflector mounted on the rear of a vehicle must be or reflect red.

(b) A signaling device mounted on the rear of a vehicle may be red, amber, or yellow.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
....If he's doing all 4...will it still require an LED friendly flasher relay as well?

1N4004 diode, very common, inexpensive, will do the trick
Yes to the flasher. I used a standard automotive 2 lug 'variable load' relay on both bikes. The connectors are not a direct fit but can be adapted, without cutting wires, with some shrink-tubing and electrical tape. The relay is required due to the reduced load.

That diode number sound correct too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy New Year!

Venom,

Here is a diagram for the diode circuit: https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/images/library/articles/mdk_diagram.jpg

There are kits available on the 'net but you can make your own with a pair of diodes sourced from your favorite electronics store. A soldering gun and shrink-wrap are your friend.

The nice thing is that if you go back to standard bulbs you don't have to remove the diodes.
Awesome diagram. Thank you!

Here's what Texas law has to say about the color of those lights ...
This is what I found from Texas DOT.
Stop lamps Required*
§ 547.324.
,A stop lamp must emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber.

I'll have to do a little more digging to find what the law really says.

@bikerbill....If he's doing all 4...will @Venom831 still require an LED friendly flasher relay as well?

1N4004 diode, very common, inexpensive, will do the trick
Thank you for the diode number.

Yes to the flasher. I used a standard automotive 2 lug 'variable load' relay on both bikes. The connectors are not a direct fit but can be adapted, without cutting wires, with some shrink-tubing and electrical tape. The relay is required due to the reduced load.

That diode number sound correct too.
I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and shrink tubing! I'd probably just use the correct connectors and solder them to the wiring so that it fit properly. Just have to find the right relay. And apparently get some red lenses just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some additional information on Texas law if anyone is interested.

"SUBCHAPTER M. ADDITIONAL OR ALTERNATIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES

Sec. 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.
(4) at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d); ...."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm#547.801

This says to refer to the aforementioned statute that says stop lamps can be anything between amber and red, so unless I'm reading this incorrectly, you can use amber lights as brake and running lights in Texas. That may not be legal in other states, but it appears to be legal here.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First thing will be getting the diodes and doing the wiring part without the relay and installing LED bulbs. To be honest, I probably wouldn't mind them "hyper flashing" as it gets a little more attention but I like things working properly. And for now, I want them to look like stock.

Signal Dynamics has the back off brake module, which doesn't do the turn signals. The tri star does the turn signals but not the brake lights. The other one that bikerBill suggested that I've been looking at for a while is the sound off priority plus module. I'm waiting on an email clarifying working with LEDs from the company and will go from there. Initial email reply from them was "no it will not work".

·
Registered
239 Posts
As I intimated earlier in the thread, you'll be experimenting and improvising somewhat to get it the way you want it. It can be a somewhat complicated process on the older bikes.

Similar to your requirements....my older '95 Ducati 900SS required the diode mod along with flasher relay change....however my '07 Ducati SS800FI with more modern electronics not only sensed the 4 turn signal LED'S.....but compensated and corrected the flash rate! I can't fully explain it...but I'll sure accept it! Its got some electronic control unit built within the speedo/tach (there is NO flasher relay, all done electronically within)
What a pleasant surprise after connecting everything up....and it all worked! NO flasher relay, NO diode mod required. Got lucky on that one.

I'm sure you'll find the LED conversion to offer a major improvement in lighting visibility....day and night. Worth the effort, IMHO.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's some additional information on Texas law if anyone is interested.

"SUBCHAPTER M. ADDITIONAL OR ALTERNATIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES AND MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLES

Sec. 547.801. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT.
(4) at least one stoplamp that complies with the requirements of Section 547.323(d); ...."

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

This says to refer to the aforementioned statute that says stop lamps can be anything between amber and red, so unless I'm reading this incorrectly, you can use amber lights as brake and running lights in Texas. That may not be legal in other states, but it appears to be legal here.
This site has links to each state's laws, if anyone's interested:

Unlawful Vehicle Modifications: State Laws - FindLaw

I'm reading 547.353 of the document you linked to and it's the one I quoted before -- seems a little confusing to me! You might be prudent to check with DOT on it. Doubt they'd do much besides give you a fix-it ticket, but even that's a pain in the neck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'm reading 547.353 of the document you linked to and it's the one I quoted before -- seems a little confusing to me! You might be prudent to check with DOT on it. Doubt they'd do much besides give you a fix-it ticket, but even that's a pain in the neck.

Yes, I saw what you referenced and read it, and it seems like a blanket statement, that every light on the rear has to be red unless specifically stated otherwise. Then it states a signaling device on the rear may be red, Amber or yellow.

To me, turn signals are signaling devices. And brake lights are signaling devices as well. I suppose if you had to, you could take it to court, and argue that point, and see how the judge deciphers the statutes.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So without changing the bulbs I have the rear signal lights doing three functions,
running lights (red in color),
brake lights (red in color),
and their usual signal lights in amber.

I didnt change the amber lenses, but still have red running lights by adding a strip of 6 red LEDs into each signal housing.
That a few electrical pieces for under $15.
Ask if you want the hookup info.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I thought that I saw on some web site page LED turn signal clusters that already came with built-in load equalizers, which means there is no need to add load equalizers to the turn signal wiring circuit, and also mean that the stock flasher unit does not need to be changed, I forget where I saw that but you might want to check into it if you are changing out your turn signals to LED

1 - 20 of 20 Posts