Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at (2) of these 1157 LEDs below for taillights, what do you think?

see Item: GEN10CLUSTER

Motorcycle LED Light Bulbs

1" Diameter 16 LEDS Red

my '05 800 (2) stock 1157 bulbs 1 5/8" apart center to center

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi!
Do You still have a stock tail light? If Yes, then how will You illuminate the license plate? With red LEDs?
Anyway, even if You choose white, these type of LEDs are straight directional and will not illuminate the license plate. I would go for SMD. They are much brighter, cheaper and fit as expected.
I'm using this type of SMD LEDs.

Cheap and definitely worth the money ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i have stock red lense, so you got white leds in a red lense? why not red leds in a red lense? does it matter if plate shines in red? what's smd stand for

·
Registered
234 Posts
so you got white leds in a red lense? why not red leds in a red lense?
Yes, why not? Ordinary standard bulbs are also white ;) I see no reason why someone should need to double-red the light? Besides, it will result in poor efficiency and You will be loosing some lumen. It means that white LEDs by default will shine brighter than red LEDs through that red glass.
does it matter if plate shines in red?
Better check the regulations in Your country/state what they say about red license plate lights. In Europe there's a strict rule to have only white bulbs there. Sometimes even LED's (which are more blue than white spectrum) are not allowed.
Read oabout SMD here.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I was googling and say this Tail Light Bulb Upgrade
so I went to the auto parts store and bought (2) 2357 bulbs
are 2357's ok?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i put in the (2) 2357 bulbs, and the taillight on the 2357 is same lumens as the stock 1157 bulb, but the 2357 brake light part is slightly brighter by a bit than the 1157, the (2) 2357 bulbs I got at NAPA are Wagner bulbs

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i read some guy reviewing LED bulbs for taillights and he said the 1157 incandescent bulbs are just as good as the LEDs and maybe even better, so then this morning I was googling and saw a post on the 2357 bulbs, I like the 2357 , they were only $1.88 a piece

·
Registered
234 Posts
In my opinion there's only one reason why someone should switch to LEDs. They consume considerably less power than incandescent bulbs. More efficiency, less heat. It means less load on alternator as well as less fuel consumption. I don't need an extra brightness on my rear end. I just need ordinary functionality with less power, Thats all. Therefore I prefer those cheap Chinese SMD LEDs I mentioned previously.
I even changed my front H4 bulb with some kind of day running light LED for 4$. Sure, it's not good enough for a normal night ride, but as day running light it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I clicked on that LED link for $4, how come you can't use it for hi/low beam and for night time riding? I put in a 3700K Philips Xtreme Vision +100% H4 bulb, haven't tried it yet, I just turned the key on to see if the Philips bulb works, should I buy that 6000K LED Hi/Lo bulb? Will I like it? Why would it be no good for night time? ok wait, I just saw this, it says the Lumen is 800LM, is that a misprint? shouldn't that be like much higher for legal DOT approved?

·
Registered
724 Posts
" I don't need an extra brightness on my rear end. I just need ordinary functionality with less power, Thats all."

So you don't care if you get hit in the rear because someone couldn't see you, just as long as you don't use TOO much power for that rear light??

NOT sure that's the reason to go for LED's or the 2357 bulbs!

Me I added a strip of 6 SMD LEDs inside each of my rear signals that are running lights and brake lights.
I can be seen better and not increase amp draw to much.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok wait, I just saw this, it says the Lumen is 800LM, is that a misprint? shouldn't that be like much higher for legal DOT approved?
That's correct! That's the reason! 800LM is not enough for normal night driving. This LED has Lo and Hi beam. That's also correct. You can even switch to Lo and Hi beam as normal bulb, but the Hi beam is not getting brighter as 800LM :D Yes, I'm sure, it's not good for DOT or even European standards. I use it only as a daytime light, because I ride only in daytime. :D If I would need to drive at night, I would swap the bulb back :D

So you don't care if you get hit in the rear because someone couldn't see you, just as long as you don't use TOO much power for that rear light??
Of course I care! But those SMD LEDs are bright enough. Same as ordinary incandescent bulbs. Even brighter when it comes to license plate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hard to say how much. The principle is simple. if the headlight specs say to use only H4 55/60 incandescent bulbs, everything else would be not the standard ;)
By the way, It also concerns tail lights.
(That's for Europe. Sorry, I do not know the DOT)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like my new 2357 bulbs (2) I got today, I know they're not LED but they were cheap and I like the little extra contrast between regular taillight to brake light brightness, they should catch the attention better of car drivers behind me

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
234 Posts
':l Ops! I thought that they are LED! Damn! Sorry! Sure, they are ok, but just do some checks after a while. On break beams (while You are breaking) they produce more heat! Check Your tail light plastic, if it's OK and not melting in longer period of time.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i don't have a goal, all I know is my bike had the stock 1157 and i like the idea of brighter running taillight and brighter brake light, but, what I do like about the 2357 is the running taillight part of the bulb is the same as the stock 1157 but the 2357 brake light part is a bit brighter which I like, I don't want to go too bright on the running taillight, I read on somewhere that he was riding behind another bike at night that had too bright a running taillight and he couldn't see what the distance was to that bike ahead of him, but if the LED bulbs require less running watts/amps off my bike's stator, I'm all for that also

·
Registered
78 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts