Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This would be ok right?
97 800 Classic, and i only have the weekends to work on it.
Leaving it on the lift/jack for the week should be OK right?
Frigin TX weather, got overheated (myself) trying to change tires over the weekend.
I have the front wheel off, and i would like to leave the whole thing on the stand/ lift.
Not new to motorcycles, but new to the vulcan.

Thanks !

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
This would be ok right?
97 800 Classic, and i only have the weekends to work on it.
Leaving it on the lift/jack for the week should be OK right?
Frigin TX weather, got overheated (myself) trying to change tires over the weekend.
I have the front wheel off, and i would like to leave the whole thing on the stand/ lift.
Not new to motorcycles, but new to the vulcan.Thanks !
zt2,, energy. is present in all things. you'v cranked some 5-6-700lbs up in the air. its got potential energy looking to be dissipated. In the refineries we de-energize any equipment b4 leaving them to self destruct.
if you have the front wheel off the bike. you can put a 2foot long 2x6 or 8 under the frame and lower it so that the front of the frame sits on the 2x. leave the jack lift in place it will stabilize the bike from side x side movement. but the bike will be back to ground level. the forx will come down but stop short of the floor 12+" about the same as if the wheel was present.
this way all the energy (gravity) has been bled out of the bike and is not likely to be knocked off its perch. accidently. maybe trapping some small person or animal underneath its mass.
when yor back to project mode. just jack it back up w/o missing a heartbeat. poncho

Reactions: Diamond Jim

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'd like to get some additional information on this subject too. Mine is sitting on the MC jack now and will have been on it for 2 weeks before I take it down.

Zed, what part of Texas you from?

·
Registered
49 Posts
As long as it's not likely to fall, the jack isn't in contact with wiring or hoses, etc. there's no harm to the bike. I've had mine up on the jack for weeks at a time. But, I don't have to worry about seismic activity, kids climbing on it or my wife or pets bumping it. When it is up on the jack it's strapped down and I've got jack stands under it as well... I've seen way too many mechanical devices fail to trust a jack 100%. Not to mention the fact that I occasionally do stupid stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey. I know I new here. But I can honestly say. If you strap down your bike at several points and lock down the jack you should be fine. My bike was on the jack for about 7 months while she was getting a boob job and face lift. Lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the replies. The bike is strapped on the stand, and is not being supported by the hydraulic jack, but is instead sitting on a safety catch. It has a better name than that, but I forgot.
No chance of being bumped,it is in the garage where the jeep usually is. I'm the only one that goes out there.
I do agree that taking out all potential energy would be the safest option. But wouldn't that mean laying the bike on its side , :). Leaving it on the kick stand is giving it the potential to fall.
( please take this in the joking manner intended)
I am in Texas, near lake lewisville. Not from Texas, a Kiwi by birth.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
blah, no big thing to leave it on there.

My bike (which is a toy) can go 3 and 4 weeks in between rides. It stays on the lift during those times..

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
blah, no big thing to leave it on there.

My bike (which is a toy) can go 3 and 4 weeks in between rides. It stays on the lift during those times..

That pic sure looks familiar. Nice looking lift.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I'm just south of you, in Texas City. Your probably one of my wife's 50000 facebook friends.
Sounds like your wife is a lot more popular than I am. Ha. I have never been on Facebook and at this time I'm not planning on it. I think I saw your pic on here or possibly GarageJournal.com. I will be living in the League City area less than one more month. Headed to Toledo Bend lake from here. I won't miss the traffic at all. Actually took a short ride to Hemphill today. I have been leaving my bike on the stand since this thread started and it's working fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts