Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday was full of rain and the roads were wet as and I parked my bike at my work place like i normally do during the day.

This bike is normally parked out in the weather (sun, rain, everything). I parked up the bike last night underneath trees still in the workplace overnight and got the wife to collect me in the car.

I came back the next day and i straightened the bike off the stand and rain water came out from the bike from underneath the bike stand area.

What damage (if any) will that rain water have inside my bike?

A chick - who is fascinated and in love with my bike btw - at work told me that I should not leave the bike out in the weather because of sun damage, etc...

Your thoughts on this comment? Should i aim to park the bike under cover more during the day?

Romper

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rain won't hurt it. Sun will degrade the leather/plastics over a period of years. I'm not keen on most covers as in the wind the material seems to scuff the leather/paint after a time. Maybe you can get cushioned material on some covers? Park under a tree if you like but watch out for bird crap, sap, pollen dropping on your bike. Anyhow - in short I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you're seat has stitching, rain can soak the foam. This will shorten it's life and give you a case of wet tail!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great point steve.

just spent the last hour cleaning my bike after reading this thread.

I cleaned it with the bath towel. Now the bike has lint everywhere. What towering is good for the bikes without leaving lint everywhere?

ROmper

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Water can lead to corrosion over time. That being said, if you really ride for any real period of time, your bike will get really wet sometimes. Sometimes you'll ride through it, and sometimes you'll be parked in it. Water in the kickstand area? Well, assuming it gets real services by somebody that's really qualified to do it, the important areas are regularly lubed and inspected. So, no real issues there.

The sun? Well, it's made to be ridden outside, that this is inevitable!

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Protect your investment .... this is a all season cover .... around $65. It is also a "hot cover" meaning the pipe area on the cover has a heat shield built in to allow placement immediately after you get off the bike.

My bikes are covered, regardless whether I am touring or when they are in the garage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whiting - you have a model name for that cover?

I wil see if i can get it in Australia...

ROmper

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Bike manufacturers' covers for their machines have served me best over the years. But they usually cost double the run-of-the-mill universal cover, and many of my friends don't consider them one bit better. I use small microfiber towels for bike drying and polishing; no lint and no swirl marks. S-100 has a chamois that works well too, but I can't tell that it's any better than good quality microfiber, and it's a lot more expensive.

My opinion is that if I can ride adverse conditions, the bike should be fine as long at it's cleaned up well as soon as practicable.

Ride safe,
Grandpa

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
whiting - you have a model name for that cover?

I wil see if i can get it in Australia...

ROmper
Its a "ultraguard" full dresser size cover .... I got it from jcwhitney.com, but you should be able to get it back home ... there are different types of covers available for bikes, dust covers, light duty covers and all weather covers, this is a all weather cover. I got onto yahoo.au and used the search and it bought up some sites, the prices were higher than here in Canada, you might want to call around to your local bike shop and see what they have available.

It might pay to get one shipped in from overseas. After having to pay $25 (on sale)for a case of coke when I was home last xmas, a cover from overseas plus shipping may still be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
The Bike manufacturers' covers for their machines have served me best over the years. But they usually cost double the run-of-the-mill universal cover, and many of my friends don't consider them one bit better. I use small microfiber towels for bike drying and polishing; no lint and no swirl marks. S-100 has a chamois that works well too, but I can't tell that it's any better than good quality microfiber, and it's a lot more expensive.

My opinion is that if I can ride adverse conditions, the bike should be fine as long at it's cleaned up well as soon as practicable.

Ride safe,
Grandpa
Yep, I have used OEM covers as well .... they ain't cheap but the quality is there .. the problem I have now is neither of my bikes are remotely stock, hence the full dresser size fits perfectly. For cleaning I use microfiber cloths and a tin of pledge ... stolen from under the old ladies sink .... works like a charm, no residue build up, use it on the whole bike and repels the dust.
When I'm on a trip, my bike is cleaned everyday, no sense try to clean off 6000 miles of bugs after a 2 week ride.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
It's ok if it gets wet. How do you wash it?
My classic has been washed twice in 6 years, my custom once in 3 years .... but they are cleaned after every ride.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I suppose you can clean it with detailing cloths and a spray solution (I find that option expensive) but I won't wax what hasn't been washed (carefully).

·
Registered
918 Posts
Rain won't hurt it. Sun will degrade the leather/plastics over a period of years. I'm not keen on most covers as in the wind the material seems to scuff the leather/paint after a time. Maybe you can get cushioned material on some covers? Park under a tree if you like but watch out for bird crap, sap, pollen dropping on your bike. Anyhow - in short I wouldn't worry about it.
Rain will hurt it over a period of time. Rain collects any contaminants floating in the air. Those contaminants can be slightly acidic causing surface rust and increases degradation of plastics and rubber.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's ok if it gets wet. How do you wash it?
For thorough washing, I use S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. It's available in aerosol and pump spray, and I usually find it at Harley stores, and some internet motorcycle suppliers carry it, as well as Amazon.com. It ain't cheap!

If you use this product, read the directions carefully! Don't spray it on a hot surface. Do it like they say, don't let it dry on the finish, and rinse with with a high pressure water mist. Our municipal water supply does OK with a fine nozzle, but I think a pressure washer would be better, and they do a good job on windows and vinyl siding too (for the house, I won't have to justify it).

Any high volume supply of clean air will quickly dry the nooks and crannies.

Then look at the shine,
Grandpa

·
Registered
227 Posts

A chick - who is fascinated and in love with my bike btw - at work told me that I should not leave the bike out in the weather because of sun damage, etc...

Your thoughts on this comment? Should i aim to park the bike under cover more during the day?

Romper
My thoughts:

Ask the chick if she wants a ride! :D

Apart from that, at work, I always try to park under cover or shade.
At home, I have a very small garage but manage to get it in every night.
I believe those bikes are meant and built to be out in any weather at any time...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts