Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I wanted to let you know about my experience with leatherup.com to hopefully save some of you from the headaches I've had.

First thing I ordered from them was a leather jacket, that I had to send back two times because it didn't fit correctly. Normally this wouldn't be a giant deal, but they do not cover any return shipping unless the item is broken upon retrieval (which it turns out, they won't even do that). This fact is acceptable, although it's a bummer because there are a lot of people that will pay return shipping for unhappy customers. I did end up rather liking the jacket, and still wear it regularly. Hard to beat the value.

Second thing I ordered was a Hawk H-6611 bluetooth modular helmet. First of all, the helmet sucked. It was heavy, cheaply built, and rather than actually having speakers inside, there were basically old style headphones attached to the chin strap (hard to line up with your ears).

The helmet showed up with the chin vent broken. It was just flapping around rather than staying in either position. You could even see the plastic catch inside that was broken. I called three times to talk with different customer service reps everytime, and all of them ended up telling me that's how it's supposed to be, tough luck. Two of the three ended the call by hanging up on me. Two of the three told me that if returned, I would be charged an exceptionally large restocking fee simply because I had opened the box (even just to find that it was broken). I did not wear it on a ride. Just opened the box. They also told me if I had tried the helmet on, they would send the return shipment back to me At MY EXPENSE, and not return any money.

I know you will do what you will do, but I hope this post helps someone out. I would not do business with this company again even if I was paid to, and feel stupid in the first place for ever ordering something as important as a helmet online.

Happy riding!

-Phil

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's a shame. I've bought a couple things from Leatherup. Everything was pretty cheap, but of course I didn't pay very much at all- guess the saying 'you get what you paid for' is true!

Can't comment on their service. Never tried to return anything.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, ya get what ya pay for. However, I love the jacket I got from them, although I had to go like two sizes up from my normal to even get it on.

I'm having a really hard time not ordering their chaps! haha. Judging by the customer service experience, I'm trying to stay strong, but it's so damn hard to beat 50-70 bucks for 100% leather chaps.

Any recommendations for inexpensive chaps from a company that stands behind their products?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ya well I'm having a really hard time not ordering their chaps! haha. Judging by the customer service experience, I'm trying to stay strong, but it's so damn hard to beat 50-70 bucks for 100% leather chaps.

Any recommendations for inexpensive chaps from a company that stands behind their products?
One of the things I bought from them was a leather vest. The leather itself is decent. Cheap but decent. However, everything else was pretty awful. The metal 'snaps' didn't even fit into each other! I modified some extenders to make it compatible, and within a couple months they had ALL fallen out of the vest. It's sitting in my closet. It was only like $30, but I would have rather paid $100 for one that would at least hold up and would actually snap together! Learned my lesson I guess.

So the leather on the chaps will probably be decent. But don't expect the size to be right, and I would anticipate things like zipper, snaps, ties, etc. being very poor in quality. BUT, if you or someone you know works with leather, you could by the chaps and just replace the cheap zippers/etc. with good stuff from a supply store and have a decent pair of chaps on the cheap!

Personally, I strongly recommend buying things like chaps local. Especially from a motorcycle dealer, because you can likely try them on and then go sit on a bike just like yours and see how they fit when you are riding. I don't know about you, but I really need the gear I wear on my bike to fit well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent points! Thanks man. I should probably go to a local bike shop. Being in a small town makes it a little harder, because the shops that are here have little to compete with so they don't have to have even semi decent prices, but a little extra cash will be worth the lack of headache.

Plus, I think from now on, I want to try something on before I commit and buy it. That helmet situation REALLY taught me the lesson on that!

I'm sorry that you also had such a sour situation. It's a bummer that there's people out there that will sell stuff like that and feel good about it. Or just feel good about the money they're making I guess. haha.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well they also aren't charging much. It's still a useful service. Sometimes you don't need a lot of quality. 89 cent wal mart rain ponchos are better than a $300 rain suit if the rain suit is 200 miles away!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't know how you paid for your helment but you can go through you credit card or paypal and file a complaint and they will stop payment to leather,up and help you work your promlem out. I had to do it be for on some mirrors I oredered from hong kong I can be such a d--b a--- some times. When you go to your local motorcycle shop take the leather,up add and see if they will take any off for the chaps. Good Luck, B Cope.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try jafrum.com

I buy from them fairly regularly and have never had a problem.

MT

·
Registered
492 Posts
I hate to say it but Jafrum is pretty much the same as Leatherup. You have to pay return shipping. And in my case the chaps I bought did not come close to fitting the first time. The second ones fit great. I'm not really knocking either company. They fit a niche in the marketplace. You just have to realize their policies. I have a jacket from Leatherup and have worn it a lot for the last 4 years.

I will say this. If you need gear that you will use a lot, go to your local dealer or find an online vendor that pays return shipping. It may cost a bit more but you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya IL Vaquero, that's actually what I had to do to get my refund. I threatened to call my credit card company and dispute the payment, so then they finally agreed to return the full amount. I still had to pay return shipping though. Not the end of the world.

MAS Tequila, I'm glad you've had good experiences with them. I don't know if you've ever had to deal with their customer service, but maybe I just had bad luck this time. Seems odd that I got bad apples three times in a row though.

Ghost, glad I know that about Jafrum. Now I know not to go there either :). Ya I'm learning that there are certain things you can buy online, and certain things you just shouldn't.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As with everything else, if you do the proper research ahead of time you will avoid most problems. First thing I ordered from Leatherup.com was a bomber jacket. Quality was comparable to another I bought locally and paid 5 times as much for. I read the reviews and ordered 2 sizes larger than normal as I was guided to and got a perfect fit. The chaps I ordered next were cheap $69 less 10% coupon and free shipping and I didn't expect much. I was happily surprised to say the least and for much less than I would have paid locally $200 and again for comparable quality. Also purchased a Bell helmet from leatherup. I've used Bell buckets for 40 years so I knew what to order without any more research. Price was much less than anywhere else with free shipping to boot and I ordered on Tuesday morning and it was dropped shipped from a warehouse 150 miles away at 2:00 the next afternoon. The key for my experience was to do the proper research to know what I was getting into from the beginning. Couldn't say anything about their customer service since I've never used them but to complain about being charged for return shipping because of your own mistake is just a bit much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought 2 Hawk ST-1198 helmets from Leather-up. The first one did exactly what it was supposed to do 11 days after it arrived. I went down @ 30mph, in a curve. So I bought the second one when I started riding again. Both helmets fit like a glove and had zero defects. Sorry you had trouble with them.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've bought a few things from leatherup, totally impressed with the prices. But yeah, the quality seems to be a hair off. My wife actually hates her chaps violently (the zippers in the back don't stay up, the snaps don't stay snapped, the right leg zipper has run itself up on her a few times). I bought my chaps at a local D&B Supply (farm store, they sell motorcycle leathers just to stick to the harley dealer right up the street) for about $20 more, and they're nice, heavy, durable Milwaukee leathers. Snap-in liners, and have, so far, absorbed 13000 miles of bugs, dirt, and sun without issue. Even soaked 'em clean through in the rain one time, and they're still going strong.

And if you have a Wilson Leather in your area, they actually have really great motorcycle jackets. I just got a new one from them for 70% off because of an end-of-season sale. It's a Milwaukee (not intentionally), vented with a zipper liner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Leather Up

I've ordered from Leather Up before and had a pretty good experience. I bought Chaps, a lid and a vest. The chaps were awesome for the money. The zippers were not cheap, and as a matter of fact, I think they advertised that they were YYK zips-a good quality closure. The lid was too small and the vest was decent too, but the snaps are a little light. I've never worn it anyway. I was going to send the lid back, but from Canada that would have been stupid expensive. I should have just purchased the Chaps I quess.

Jackets are tough to purchase at anytime. The XElements (or something like that) brand is out there and many of these jackets are relabelled from some other supplier, likely off shore. Buying a jacket that fits right is tough enough when you have a rack full of them. I think the products have decent bang for your buck, but is risky buying apparel sight unseen. By the time you factor in resending the jacket back say once, what did you think you saved? probably still a few bucks?

Ya IL Vaquero, that's actually what I had to do to get my refund. I threatened to call my credit card company and dispute the payment, so then they finally agreed to return the full amount. I still had to pay return shipping though. Not the end of the world.

MAS Tequila, I'm glad you've had good experiences with them. I don't know if you've ever had to deal with their customer service, but maybe I just had bad luck this time. Seems odd that I got bad apples three times in a row though.

Ghost, glad I know that about Jafrum. Now I know not to go there either :). Ya I'm learning that there are certain things you can buy online, and certain things you just shouldn't.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I might as well add my 2 cents here. :)

Recently I ordered a leather jacket from Leather-up. I ordered my usual size which is Large. When the jacket arrived, it was WAY too big for me. The quality appeared to be pretty good for the price, but it was too big for me to wear. So I returned it at my own expense. Cost me about $22 to ship it back to California, but there was no hassle involved in getting my total purchase priced credited back to my credit card. I knew going into the deal that I would have to pay any return shipping, if necessary, so I really have no complaints except that their sizing information might be a little clearer. Some people say to order larger size than normal while others say to order your normal size. I ordered my normal size and it was way too big. Go figure. :confused:

Now here is a story about a pleasant and happy buying experience. I ordered a nylon motorcycle jacket with leather trim from this company http://www.jaminleather.com/ Before ordering I called the company and talked to a lady there (Roxy I believe) about the jacket I was thinking of buying. She personally retrieved the jacket I was interested in and did some measurements on it at my request. She also described the jacket to me in greater detail than the online ad. When I told her that sounded like what I wanted, she personally took THAT jacket to the shipping department and had it shipped to me. I got the jacket a few days later and it was exactly as she described. Fit me to a "tee". Jacket quality is very good and the size looks like it was custom made for me.

So, I heartily recommend Jamin Leathers. Take your own measurements of yourself before calling them, then give them a call. They will help you select the right size. I don't know the quality of ALL their products, but I'm quite happy with the nylon/leather jacket with armor that I got from them for $99.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! I appreciate all the replies. Those that agree as well as those that disagree with me are much appreciated. It's nice to have a realistic place for people to get the whole story rather than the web site where they only put good reviews.

That being said, I think people may have Misunderstood me on the jacket end of things. I knew I'd have to pay return shipping. I wasn't broken hearted that I had to pay return shipping. It was weird that I had to go three sizes up, but also not the end of the world. And it's just worth knowing you have to pay return shipping because a lot of people like zappos.com will pay all your returning shipping even if its a fitting issue.

Now, I love the jacket. I wear it all the time. For what I paid, I can't dare complain about the quality of the jacket. The reason I will never go back to that place again was the poor customer service and telling me my broken helmet was fine.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out jammin leather. And thanks everybody for all the responses. Seems like there is almost as many good experiences as bad! Pretty interesting

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I use these guys, all the products that I have bought are of good quality and fast shipping times, too. They do not have everything, but a lot of leather products for sure.

http://www.jaminleather.com/

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just bought 2 pair of chaps so far from them, I was very happy with the price. I would of paid that for just one pair here. Sorry you got some low life on the phone. Next time take names of who you talk to and send it in to them , I am sure they don't want the bad rap of being dick heads and that getting around. word of mouth is powerful and they know it

·
Registered
432 Posts
jafrum is probably the cheapest compared to other sites but you do get what you pay for, I bought chaps with liners for 54 dollars, they look great but sizing was wrong on the first pair and the zipper was not ykk or any kind of heavy duty, fortunately someone bought them from me, I took a 4 dollar loss but was cheaper than spending 15 to ship them back, the second pair I bought are the right size and have a much better zipper in them

I bought some leather bags for 59 bucks, the finish is not that great and the first time they got damp some salt bled out of them and left stains, yes salt I tasted a bit on the end of my finger, I've put leather conditioner on them twice since then and they seem ok now but still have a slight stain but most folks wouldn't know it if I didn't point it out. But for the price they are certainly functional and huge, I can easily put a 12 pack of tall boys in each if I take them out of the box. LOL I don't drink like that just giving you an idea of how large they are. They are about a third of the cost if I went to any shop around here so I'm happy.

While buying things cheap on the internet buyer beware. Being able to post things like this helps others to decide. This is not to run down the product but informational, we have to weigh the cost vs what kind of use we will get from these products. If it does the job and you're on a budget sometimes you can pass on the looks or imperfections in quality. For the important things that you really care how they look talk to others like we're doing here for info.

PS jafrum ships really fast, I got my orders in 3 days.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
My GF ordered a jacket from leatherup about 3 years ago along with a pair of Hawk full face helmets. Read reviews, most said to go up 1 size on the helmets, so we did. They seem fine for us. The jacket got tested a year ago jan. 1st when we hit the road. Nice scuffs along the back left side of jacket, but none on me after sliding about 40ft along the road. I wear it about 8 months a year since I got it. Was good for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 38 Posts