Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what are Classic LT owners using to clean and protect the leather saddlebags? I'd like something to protect them and give a little shine as well. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use a good saddle soap that cleans and conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would think some of the shoe water proofing oils would make a lot of sense. Meltonian is a product my cobbler sold me for my kids' "Ugg" boots.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have the OEM bags, but on my Viking bags I've been using Lexol 3-in-1 https://www.mannapro.com/products/leather-care/lexol-3-1-leather-care , and have been very pleased with it. Just my personal preference. It adds some shine but not a wet look. You should add a plush microfiber towel and a quality shoe brush to your cycle care arsenal.

So much depends on what condition your bags are currently in and how "dirty" they are. Please take care if you use saddle soap. I've seen good bags ruined (dried and cracked) by improper use. Be sure to google first if you feel the urge to use it.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good suggestions for me to go through. The bags are brand new still so I'm starting from a good place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use to use Armor All Leather Care Gel which worked o.k. but then I ran cross something called Leather Honey on another bike forum and tried it. And it works really well, I also use it on my leather jackets and pants, makes them look like new. They make several variations IE:Conditioners, Cleaners etc.. but the one I use is "Leather Honey Leather Conditioner". It's a bit expensive but after a couple of years of using it I still have 75% if the bottle still left. You can goggle where to buy it there's tons of places I just put this link so you could see the product.
oops cant post the link yet but it was Wal-Mart I found it at.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use good old fashion "Kiwi" brand shoe polish (paste type). about two coats after a good wash. Looks great for months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may try shoe polish. For now I've gone with Blue Magic Leather Cleaner and the Leather Conditioner. So far so good. Gives a nice sheen to the bags.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wanted to start a thread like this one, but found this thread to resurrect.

Since I have a 900 Classic LT (with leather saddle bags), I wanted to discuss this. I searched high and low for some time, for a really good leather cleaner and conditioner, and eventually came across Skidmore's leather cream, biker edition. This stuff is exactly the same as the standard leather cream (leather cleaner and conditioner for cowboy saddles and leathers), except for the biker artwork on the container. They also have another product called "Beeswax Waterproofing" that also comes in a biker edition.

After I got the bike, I first started using some Harley branded leather conditioner that contained petroleum distillates. I did not know at the time that petroleum distillates are long term harmful to leather, as it slowly breaks down the leather. I thought I had found "the one" but then noticed one of the saddle bags just started to "sink" on one corner. I quickly went looking again, found some negative research about petroleum distillates (petroleum jelly and leather), then came across SKidmore's.

This stuff is old fashioned in smell and feel, but it's almost magic. The leather cream has all natural ingredients (plants, trees and beeswax it says), and has restored the leather to almost new condition. Somehow most of the scratches have disappeared as well. The corner of that one saddlebag is very slowly returning to shape (should be there I'm thinking by the end of this year). The waterproofing is more concentrated beeswax (I'm assuming) and just adds to the luster (as well as waterproofing). My saddle bags now look just about as good as saddle bags on brand new Vulcan 900 Classic LTs, they look that good. This stuff also works on many other leather and leather like items like the bike seat, back rest, leather jackets, leather boots, etc.

Here's a link to their website Skidmore's Fine Beeswax Products for Wood and Leather

Amazon sells this, but it's twice the price as buying it on the product website. I'm picky, and I really like these products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts