Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys determine whether your leather jacket fits or not? By leather jacket I mean a Ramones style one.

Do you try it on with the liner and a sweatshirt and it has to be tight?
If you can fit a fist in the jacket with no liner and only a tshirt is it too big?

What are your strategies?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I assume you are planning on using it to ride with and not travel back to your glory days in a DMC-12 that runs off plutonium:D . I would suggest wearing you thickets clothes that you would be riding in (thermals, sweatshirt, or what ever) and try it on and sit in your riding position. They need to snug but comfortable. If they are too loose they will blow up on you while you are riding. That is not comfortable, it will pull out around all over the place and beat you down.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Think about it this way- if it's too tight to be comfortable, it'll suck. That means you wanna be able to move a bit, and keep circulation even after the third hour on the bike. If it's too loose to be comfortable, that'll suck too- if you can grab a fistful of leather, it's too loose. It'll flap, and what's worse, it might catch on a get-off, and then you're tumbling, not sliding. Bad news.

My rule for my jackets is that they can't slide around across my shoulders, and the sleeves can't easily twist too much. That's tight enough. They gotta be comfortable with my warmest clothes I'm gonna wear under them, and I still have to be able to fold my arms and take a deep breath. Remember, leather stretches a little bit, and breaks in, so don't worry about a stiff elbow where the armor just needs to stretch the elbow a quarter inch, but DO worry if it ever cuts off circulation, or you catch yourself walking like the Michelin Man because you can't more naturally.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I assume you are planning on using it to ride with and not travel back to your glory days in a DMC-12 that runs off plutonium:D . I would suggest wearing you thickets clothes that you would be riding in (thermals, sweatshirt, or what ever) and try it on and sit in your riding position. They need to snug but comfortable. If they are too loose they will blow up on you while you are riding. That is not comfortable, it will pull out around all over the place and beat you down.
+1 I fit mine the same way. I want to be able to have a sweatshirt and liner on underneath for the cold and rainy days.

It's a big reason I love these newer textile jackets with adjustable straps. My jacket I can sinch down if I wanna wear it by itself, or loosen up on a 20 degree day so I can fit several layers underneath!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also make sure that when you reach in front of you, the sleeves are long enough to keep your arms covered to the wrists. This is tricky for me, since my arms are a fair 2 inches longer than they should be. I always have to trade correct fitting sleeve length for longer torso length, but that's okay with me.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Also do not get set on one particular brand of jacket. Be open to the idea of other brands. Different companies have different patters for their jackets. They make look like the same style but made differently. Need one that will fit you the best. I have tried jackets that fit me good in the shoulders and still have enough room for a basketball in the belly of the jacket, and the other way too. Find one that fits you everywhere.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Large enough to breath for those hot days...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also do not get set on one particular brand of jacket. Be open to the idea of other brands. Different companies have different patters for their jackets. They make look like the same style but made differently. Need one that will fit you the best. I have tried jackets that fit me good in the shoulders and still have enough room for a basketball in the belly of the jacket, and the other way too. Find one that fits you everywhere.
Which one had room for the basketball, that's the one I need. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also make sure that when you reach in front of you, the sleeves are long enough to keep your arms covered to the wrists. This is tricky for me, since my arms are a fair 2 inches longer than they should be. I always have to trade correct fitting sleeve length for longer torso length, but that's okay with me.
This is what I think may have happened. When I bought the jacket a while back (1.5 months ago or so) I did some test sits on on one of the cruisers in the store and sleeve length seemed perfect (still is).
But when riding my own at higher speeds without the liner and a thin long-sleeve tshirt (can't do short sleeve tshirts, arms get sweaty in jacket sleeves) the thing flaps a bit more than I'd like, and sometimes catches like a tiny sail, which sure helps on hot days but makes me wonder if I screwed up buying the wrong jacket size and went +1 size up. (European 56 instead of a 54).
Was wondering if someone has a set rule that they follow which could help in deciding whether to sell or keep.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Which one had room for the basketball, that's the one I need. :)
It was one of the fieldsheer mesh jackets. Little exaggeration on the amount of space but you get the point. lol

·
Registered
659 Posts
Mmmm, love my Fieldsheer mesh jacket. Maybe because it holds my basketball? :)

My leather jacket has zippered wrists which I like because I can leave them open when it's warm to let some air in or zip them tight in the cold. I know you've already got it but think about some zippered front and back vents, they really help more than you think.

·
Registered
507 Posts
+1! I bought mine at a bike show. I had a sweater on, and put on the jacket over top. I then sat on my bike at the show and made sure it fit nicely. Not too tight, definitely not too loose.

You will likely never find one single jacket that is perfect. For example, they all fit differently with or without the liner (if it has one), and with a t-shirt, or a sweater, etc. Find one that fits with the bulkiest stuff you would ever ride with (in my case a sweater underneath, with the liner still in the jacket).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1! I bought mine at a bike show. I had a sweater on, and put on the jacket over top. I then sat on my bike at the show and made sure it fit nicely. Not too tight, definitely not too loose.

You will likely never find one single jacket that is perfect. For example, they all fit differently with or without the liner (if it has one), and with a t-shirt, or a sweater, etc. Find one that fits with the bulkiest stuff you would ever ride with (in my case a sweater underneath, with the liner still in the jacket).
I think I'm starting to realize that. Today I bought a helmet and tried on a size smaller jacket in the model that I bought earlier and confirmed that in a riding position with the liner and a tshirt it would be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

If you do happen to find a jacket that feels like it was made for you. Hold on to it with all you might and consider your self the luckiest person in the world. The Joe Rocket Jacket I recently purchased is the closes thing to "Perfect" I have found. Still a little loose in the gut but better than most. I say it will be the last one I buy for quite some time. Who cares what it looks like in your closet, because that is where it will end up if it don't fit good enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts