Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Locked up the rear brake yesterday coming to a hard-ish stop and slid the rear out a bit. Never actually got out of whack or even thought about going down, but I definitely found just how hard I can squeeze that rear pedal when there's no load on it. I am a bit spoiled with my last bike having ABS. I have to say overall, I am very happy with the brakes on this bike. I expected much worse.

Anybody have any braking close calls?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
One. A lady made a right turn from the left lane and I had to lock it up. Rear tire started to slide out but I was able to recover. She wasn't very happy when I caught up with her.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Locked the back up a couple of times on the 900. It's a stable bike even with it locked up. Never locked the front.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Locked the back up a couple of times on the 900. It's a stable bike even with it locked up. Never locked the front.
Find a big empty parking lot and find out what it takes to lock up the front and rear brakes. It is good to know what it feels like before an emergency.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find a big empty parking lot and find out what it takes to lock up the front and rear brakes. It is good to know what it feels like before an emergency.
Sound advise on the rear, everyone should try it. I'm on the fence about telling folks to find the limitations of the front. Probably because I have never done it but I cant imagine it's as forgiving as the rear.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
They go down. This was my adult son from 40MPH. Hard rear brake lockup when the car in front of him jammed on brakes for a light turning yellow. The roadrash was his unjacketed arm.

Walked away, straightened the crash bars and rode home. We're in the ATGATT crowd now.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
More than a few times.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I do that every spring, at least. I was referring to "in the wild". The 900's brakes aren't all that strong, they are tough to lock up. In the front anyway.

Current bike has ABS. So it's kind of uneventful :) Jam on the brakes, stop on a dime.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sound advise on the rear, everyone should try it. I'm on the fence about telling folks to find the limitations of the front. Probably because I have never done it but I cant imagine it's as forgiving as the rear.

The front is less forgiving for sure. I will check the parking lot first to make sure there is no loose sand etc. . Get up to perhaps 20 mph and then get on the front brake a little and keep repeating with a little more pressure each time until I can get the front wheel to lock up. Need to make sure you are always strait up when you try this. When it does lock up release immediately.

MSF General recommendations for rear wheel lock up is to keep the wheel locked and ride it out if you just release the brake you may flip to the high side. For front wheel lock up release and re apply the brake if you keep the front wheel locked you will go down.

I have a custom with the slim front tire, it takes a bit of work to lock up the tire but it is possible. It is a little unnerving at first but after a few times you get an appreciation for how much brake you can apply before locking up the wheel. I think this also helps me get in the habit of increasing pressure on the front bake and not just grabbing the the brake and applying a lot of pressure at once. As you increase pressure weight transfers to the front tire increasing the contact patch and increasing braking power. If you just grab the brake with a lot of pressure you can lock the wheel more easily because of the small contact area of the front tire.

For me at least I find the parking lot practice transfers to street riding and I find myself gradually but quickly applying pressure on the front brake instead of just grabbing it even in a panic stop situation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Done that a couple of times. First time, at a quick changing red light. The light had just changed to green, no one in front of me or coming toward me, but there was another car at the intersection, so it changed quickly to yellow, then red. Braked harder than planned. Husband was behind me and thought I had blown the horn! Second time, crusin' along back road, and came upon my journey's end too quick. That one slid a little, but eased up, more front brake and made my turn. Luckily no cars close behind me. Next time, just go further down and make a U-turn. Really not looking forward to the first front wheel lock-up. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll have to get out and do some parking lot testing and practicing on mine. Went on a short cruise with my buddy yesterday, I was leading and had a close call with a wild turkey. I used way too much rear brake and locked it up. Bike got a little squirrely.
Felt stupid afterward as I always use both brakes normally.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Locked up the rear brake yesterday coming to a hard-ish stop and slid the rear out a bit. Never actually got out of whack or even thought about going down, but I definitely found just how hard I can squeeze that rear pedal when there's no load on it. I am a bit spoiled with my last bike having ABS. I have to say overall, I am very happy with the brakes on this bike. I expected much worse.

Anybody have any braking close calls?
About a week or so after I bought my custom, I was rolling through some smallish town when the traffic light went orange on me. As I was at the head of the group, and not wanting to leave them behind, or to try to find where I pulled over to wait for them to catch up, I hit the brakes fairly hard as the stop line was pretty close. I had a good enough lead on the group that I wasn't concerned with them failing to stop behind me.

Rear brake locked up on me and I fishtailed to a tire screeching halt. My brother who was behind me said it looked pretty wild and said he was surprised I didn't go down.

I was more amused with all of the looks I was getting from the locals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts