Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been rebuilding my 09 Nomad after an accident I was involved in May and after unboxing my new saddlebags this morning I quickly realize what I should have known before, that the key lock mechanisms are not included ! If I were a smarter man I would have given the locks a second thought before I shipped the old bags to the other driver's insurance company to be salvaged. So now I am faced with the option of either begging their salvage company to remove and ship the locks back to me (...pause for laughter), or be forced to purchase the locks or complete saddlebags back from them if they haven't already been sold.

If they have been sold however I will need to buy replacement "lock assemblies" (part # 27016-0026) from Kawasaki but unfortunately none of the OEM diagrams indicate if the actual key lock mechanism is included or if they are lock-less like the lock assemblies that came in my new saddlebags.

Has anyone else here ever had to replace their Nomad/Voyager saddle bags or replace the locks before?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
No....not exactly, but my bike needed some work and potentially to have the ignition switch replaced for a mystery no start condition.

The dealer really steered hard away from doing that until last resort, and ultimately didn't have to, because then you have a new ignition key but different one for fuel cap, side cover, steering and helmet locks (no locking bags on VN2K). Having one key is nice.

Oh, BTW, OEM key blanks are like $20 each from Kawasaki. I had a couple made local from Ilco(?) blanks for $3.99 or something like that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No....not exactly, but my bike needed some work and potentially to have the ignition switch replaced for a mystery no start condition.

The dealer really steered hard away from doing that until last resort, and ultimately didn't have to, because then you have a new ignition key but different one for fuel cap, side cover, steering and helmet locks (no locking bags on VN2K). Having one key is nice.

Oh, BTW, OEM key blanks are like $20 each from Kawasaki. I had a couple made local from Ilco(?) blanks for $3.99 or something like that.
Yes that seems to be the main hassle with getting locks replaced. Hoping I can get my old locks back because I prefer not to have to carry 6 keys (3 of them being for the bike) with me everywhere I go and have people mistaking me for the janitor =).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts