Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm taking a new rider course in 3 days and trying to decide which bike to buy. I'm 39, 5'10", 185 and from what I've read the 900 custom should fit me fine with power to spare. (And Twigg cycles in Hagerstown has a couple of new '09's for around $6200 calling my name!)

My problem is that I work closely with two guys who are avid riders. One guy is a powerlifter, about 240 lbs, and owns a big powerful Harley. He thinks I should go with a 1200-1300cc bike...but says the 900 should do me fine for a while. The other guy (a bit loco) is about 170 lbs, owns a 1100 V-Star, and thinks if I buy anything smaller than a 1100...I am a big sissy! I don't put much weight into this guys advice, since he is a bit bi-polar at times!

Anyhow, do you think the 900 Custom will suite me for casual weekend cruising, and the infrequent 60 mile commute to work on the interstate? And one more question: I have minor lower back problems...how is the 900 on the lower back on extended rides?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
427 Posts
I debated between a Vulcan 900 and a V-Star 1100 (among other bikes, including a Sportster 883, a Suzuki C50 and a Triumph America), and ended up getting a Vulcan 900 Custom. I believe it was the right choice for me, and I think you'd be very pleased with it, too. Having said that, the V-Star 1100 is also a nice bike, and I'm sure I would've been pleased with it as well. Having said all that, I wouldn't worry so much about what your friends think...just get the bike that fits and calls you best.

Btw, I'm 6'1", 190 pounds, mid-40s, and I find it very comfortable -- and I also have minor lower back pain (sometimes not so minor). I also use it for casual cruising; I've yet to take it on a trip longer than a couple hours (but, then again, I've only had it for a couple months and it's been raining...and raining...and raining...).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello all,
I'm taking a new rider course in 3 days and trying to decide which bike to buy. I'm 39, 5'10", 185 and from what I've read the 900 custom should fit me fine with power to spare. (And Twigg cycles in Hagerstown has a couple of new '09's for around $6200 calling my name!)

My problem is that I work closely with two guys who are avid riders. One guy is a powerlifter, about 240 lbs, and owns a big powerful Harley. He thinks I should go with a 1200-1300cc bike...but says the 900 should do me fine for a while. The other guy (a bit loco) is about 170 lbs, owns a 1100 V-Star, and thinks if I buy anything smaller than a 1100...I am a big sissy! I don't put much weight into this guys advice, since he is a bit bi-polar at times!

Anyhow, do you think the 900 Custom will suite me for casual weekend cruising, and the infrequent 60 mile commute to work on the interstate? And one more question: I have minor lower back problems...how is the 900 on the lower back on extended rides?

Thanks,
Sean
Get what you want and don't pay any attention to others. I've got scoliosis in my upper back and I don't have any problems, but I don't know about lower back problems. I can ride for 2 hours straight and not get off. Oh, and your buddy's "powerful" Harley probably is kickin' out all of 65 horsepower, and the 900's got about 55, but since it's lighter you won't have problems keeping up with him, for sure.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Do a little research on the hp to weight ratio, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I can absolutely "blow away" many bigger bikes. When u get the 900.......take the guy with the 1100 and leave him in the dust. That being said, a cruiser is about cruising. Most think a cruiser is about touring....it's not. A cruiser is exactly what it states, cruising the boulevard and looking good loping along. I'd put my bike lamp-pole to lamp-pole against any other cruiser, I know for a fact it will "eat" the 1500.....alive.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
Sean
I would accept your friends input as long as they are going to pay for the bike as well. If they are not willing to chip in on it, they have no say. I am 43, 5'9 and 180 lbs. The 900 fits me perfectly. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mac-
I had a Vstar 1300 that I lost in an unfortunate incident (i.e., hit by granny). Just purchased the 900 for all 6'1" and 225 lbs of me and she's just fine so far. Just awaiting my solo seat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love my vulcan...i fell in love the second time since i raise the drag bars and the bike doesnt look like a mini-cruiser on the front end but more like a wide glide now

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too am a newly licensed rider. I looked at the V-star 950, the sportster and decided on the Vulcan 900 custom. It's a great bike to ride. The one downfall is that it's not the best for hwy speeds. Other than that I love it - it looks good and so far is reliable. Oh and you can't beat the price. I picked up a new '09 for $5500!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Bought my new 900 Classic last summer. Was actually looking at a used one, as well as the 1100 V-star. What sold me was the fuel injected over the carburetor. Some day I do intend to cruise up into the mountains, everyone says the fuel injection will be better for that. Couldn't be happier with my 900. The Harleys are nice, I just wanted something a little different from everyone else.....may get a Victory next, for a second bike....that'll keep the Harley guys quite. Oh yeah, don't know about the custom, but you may need to figure the price of a new seat in on it...it's a little stiff on a sore back.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I doubt most 1200s can out perform the 900 custom. I have outrun 1200 Harleys on my 900 custom. I used to want a harley untill I realized the VN costs less, rides better, has more power and is more dependable. If someone gave me a Harley I would sell it. Seems like many people are prone to debaffling. This does slow the bike down in the mid range so choose your mods carefully. Follow your heart and you will enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tip one get a driver's back rest. I bought a used vn750 with one on it and thought I would have to remove it after a few rides I would not want a bike without one. I am currently looking for a 900 my first ride on a custom I thought the forward controls were a bit far away for my 29" inseam my second ride I changed my mind.

Unless you plan on spending a lot of time on the interstate the 900 has more than enough power. I personally find the ride and sound very smooth and mellow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
MAC, NOOOOOOOOO! I just got done doing the twigg cycles thing. DO NOT DO IT! I will not walk into twigg anymore, and I don't think they want me to. Do yourself a favor and go here http://www.ridersvillecycle.com/index.htm
They are a half hour away from Twigg, but I almost guarantee they will save you at least 500 bucks on the bike alone, and after just calling about service, it will save you a hundred bucks on service. Twigg will hit you with more fees than you know of, especially if they think they can get away with it! If you go to Ridersville cycle they can do all of your MD reg, plates, and title for a nominal fee, and its worth it to not deal with the maryland DMV, and paying the sales tax up front. DO NOT GO TO TWIGG! Just my .02. I am not a salesman just a guy who has been in that showroom(twiggs), they first quoted me 7200 otd, then they came down to 6600 otd. anyways I only vouch for Ridersville cycle because they really made me an incredible deal, 5600 on the bike, 6100 after taxes and taking care of md state for me... They deserve the praise, and twigg, does not. Well, after searching ebay I can't find their links for their other 09' vulcan's. I suggest calling them 304-258-1449, or taking I ride over to Berkely Springs WV to check out the competition, but hey, your money.... Go to ridersville, they told me they hear the "twigg thing" and see people coming from them all the time. 6200 at twigg is before they are done having their way with you is what i'm trying to say in short. sorry, can you tell this is a bit personal? lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts