Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an ex sports big rider, I still like to hussle my big lady around the twisty bits.
I climb off her on the corners when I'm going hard, to try and reduce the amount the boards scrap. It helps by keeping her a little more up right.
BUT! Like all the bits I keep adding, I want more.
A few months ago, I up graded the suspension with 15 grade oil in the front forks to go with the new progressive springs. On the back went a new Ikon stiffer shock with a progressive spring as well. Handling is "s w e e t " :)
BUT! she still scrapes a lot, because even though she is sitting a little higher, I can push her harder into the corners. Mmm.
So, I decided to grind away a little of the foot boards mounting bracket, then grind away the lugs that stop the board from lifting up. I finished it off by glueing a SS washer at the grind point of the boards, to give it a harder surface to wear.
Next weekend I will try her out.
That is "my" attempt to make it easier to "Lean More."

Enjoy Your Rides
Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Kwaka 2lt, At last, a man after my own heart. I have been banging on here ever since I bought the 2000 about how well these handle if you set em up properly.
I can hear the comments now mate, wait for it. Shes a couch chair for cruising, Big old wallowing whale, if ya want something that goes around corners buy a sports bike, this thing will kill you if you hit a bump half way around a corner, it bounces you off, it falls over in corners, its too heavy to handle corners, it wasn't built to corner, its a soft tail like a Harley and hundreds more mate.
Most of the people who say that, have never bothered to do a thing to their suspension, set it up in any way at all, and then when people like us say these bikes can handle, we get told straight out, no they cant, they are everything above.
No these bikes wont ever be an R1 or whatever but they are a lot of fun with good suspension and set up properly they are extremely safe and rock solid through corners no matter how many bumps you hit.
Had my rant now, that feels better.
What do you think of the rear shock you fitted? I fitted the progressive 465 rear and progressive fronts as well and it transformed the bike, it was a piece of crap with stock suspension that's for sure.
Im just letting the corners do all my grinding mate, its getting there. Wait till your right floor board hits the raised reflectors (cats eyes) in centre of road when cranking her over at a good speed, it knocks the floor board rubber clean off, don't ask me how it does it but it does. I lost it one day and had to go back the next day and walk along the road till I found it.
Let me know how the floor board mods go.
I was only saying on here the other day, I was thinking of putting steel wear blocks on so I can throw more sparks on the crotch rocket riders I ride with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Thanks Hoony, you made my day Mate :)

Look I know these big ladies can be bitches handling sometimes, BUT!!! My Kwaka now handles!
Have done some road racing in the past (Bathurst, Phillip Island etc ) I'm not a stranger to playing with set-up on suspension.
Your right, these are no R1s, yet as a "cruiser" they can be made to handle quiet well.
Your correct with you writting how standard suspension is crap. Amen brother!
What grade fork oil did you use up front? With these progressive springs in my bike, she sits about an 1' higher than standard. I even had to ajust my mirrors up when I first rode her again.
I really love the "Ikon" rear shock. Good price, fantastic service, awesome product. Easy to set up. That wrote without commission ,he, he.
Tell the hotted up Susuki Boulys' that these Kwakas don't go or handle. Last weekend I ground past 4 of them, uphill, fast 2 lane sweepers, sitting comfortably on board ( well hanging off the side ) with the foot boards mainly full time scrapping on those sweepers. Not at any time did I feel unsettled with the bike. Rock solid and "DAM FUN!"
Keep pushing her Hoony LOL

Enjoy Your Ride
Terry

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't care what you do to your bike. I don't care how loud your bike is. I don't care if it looks like a Hardly. It's yours do what you want to it. If you want to do 90 mph in the twisties then go for it, because I don't care..

·
Registered
232 Posts
You should care more.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Did the change in ride height help with the pipes scrubbing? That is if you are still running those large factory mufflers. I know I almost had a hole rubbed in mine, but I was still 100% stock, just tightened the spring to the max in the service manual and kept the dampener set up fairly high.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi SWVA
Yes the extra ride height has helped heaps. 2 up hitting a bump mid turn with the old springs, I would bottom out on the standard pipes. Have not touched the pipes since putting on the new suspension. Running standard pipes still. New Vance and Hines ordered, and can't wait for them to arrive.
The "best" mod' by far I have done to my Kwaka was to dump the stock suspension. I now have a "Cruiser" I can "ride."

Enjoy Your Ride

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Hi SWVA
Yes the extra ride height has helped heaps. 2 up hitting a bump mid turn with the old springs, I would bottom out on the standard pipes. Have not touched the pipes since putting on the new suspension. Running standard pipes still. New Vance and Hines ordered, and can't wait for them to arrive.
The "best" mod' by far I have done to my Kwaka was to dump the stock suspension. I now have a "Cruiser" I can "ride."

Enjoy Your Ride
From the looks of the V&H Pipes, it should provide you even more ground clearance for the pipes. That was my biggest issue with the V2K. If I was more knowledgeable about suspension parts I might would have considered keeping it. I have even hit the frame in a left hand turn, 2up, with loaded bags. That is not a fun experience. I am not talking about scrubbing, I mean HITTING HARD on the frame.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Kwaka2lt,
Mate I used 10w from memory in the front, its seems to handle well with that.
I forgot to say to you that I have gone 1" lower with the rear shock and front springs, now I didn't really notice that it scrapes more being lower, but you would think it would. I think the old suspension was just so bad it scraped cause it was just sloppy and bottoming out all the time.
The beauty with the front springs is that you can make it any height you like just by changing the PVC spacer length. When I went to low on front, experimenting of course, it was scraping down whole side of frame on both sides, but by raising the front back up you can actually totally eliminate the frame scraping problem. It just hits the boards now.
Even when the frame was hitting hard, and half way through some corners when you hit the big bump, it was slamming the frame hard, the bike was still rock solid and held its line. Does not sound good though. Anyway that's cured now, and the bike is a bit lighter.
I have the V&H Powershots and I can tell you no matter what you do, they will not scrape or cause any problems what so ever, and they sound great.
What V&H pipes are you getting?
I am tempted to try an Ikon rear shock at a couple of inches higher like you just to see the difference. How much are they? Don't tell my wife.
These bikes have a very strong rigid frame, great brakes, just fit good pads, fit good suspension and tyres, and its a wolf in sheep's clothing that will put the biggest smile on your face like no other bike. You don't even feel the weight when riding it and I think the weight can be a real advantage in some situations, and in others like wet weather cornering, not so much, but wet weather anything is not much fun.
Tell the hotted up Susuki Boulys' that these Kwakas don't go or handle. Last weekend I ground past 4 of them, uphill, fast 2 lane sweepers, sitting comfortably on board ( well hanging off the side ) with the foot boards mainly full time scrapping on those sweepers. Not at any time did I feel unsettled with the bike. Rock solid and "DAM FUN!"
Yeah very true, all the guys I ride with, ride crotchy rockets, as I did once, and the guys on the R1s etc that can ride, I never see again until the next stop, they are quick. But that leaves me all the other bikes to have some fun with, there is nothing quite like going around a Busa through the twisties with her cranked right over, sparks going all over them and then rounding up the next one for the kill. Great fun. A lot of em come up to you at a rest break and say how awesome it looked as you went past them.
I guy I ride with who is hard core Busa rider was so impressed with what this bike can do for its size a weight that he went and bought one and is now in the process of setting it up so he can have a bit of real fun.
It has so much torque and acceleration down low you can catch up to other bikes coming out of tight corners, especially uphills, steeper the better, while they are waiting for the revs and power band to kick in.
Its all great fun, and this bike dishes it out for me like no other bike I have owned.

Sorry I ramble on a bit sometimes, it does tend to annoy people.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoony,,, I'm enjoying your "letters", keep them a commin!
I have found since I did my springs, no bottoming out. It used to scare the shi,,, ivers out of me when it happened, a few times 2 up. So SWVA and Hoony, we all konw what it's like. Dam no good.
I'm getting the Powershots as well. Wish they would hurry up. How loud are they? I hope not to much so.
Ikon was about ( whispering ) $700 delivered. Worth every cent. What is wrong with your rear shock though???
I'm trying Nissan pads up front this time. Have them just waiting to put them on. Told by a guy who knows, how good they are. Yeh I like to stop. Any way to help this big lady will help!

Mmm, might have to think about a trip to Tasy' in the summer. Will see.

Enjoy Your Ride

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mate I enjoyed your story, someone doing similar stuff and enjoying the bike.
When I bought my bike (from Brisbane) the guy had the rear shock preload wound up as tight as it would go, the spring was bound up, couldn't believe it.
The exhaust is perfect mate don't worry about it being to loud, (what did you say?) no really its just right and you hardly hear them once your moving, but open her up and they are just music. I only realized a few months ago that mine had the quite baffles in them, so I took them out thinking it would be unbearably loud, but it was no louder and engine performance was heaps better. When you look at those quite baffles they are a shocking design, they should be called restrictors, as that's what they did.
I also modded the stock air box by cutting big square holes everywhere you can at back and underneath, its still filtered air, and you don't see anything. Probably doesn't even need that, but no harm done.
No there is nothing wrong with the shock on by bike, but I was just thinking it would be good to try a higher shock just for the sake of trying it, and comparing if it gives more lean angle. I just like the low look of an 1" lower and I can get my feet flat on the ground as well.
I have never heard of Nissan pads mate, let us know how they go, can you get em in Australia? I will have a look. Our dollar is so low at moment buying from USA is getting expensive.
I grew up on the big Island mate, moved to Tassie 21 years ago, Every road down here is a brilliant ride with the best scenery you would see anywhere in the world.
Your welcome anytime to come and stay if your down here. I am just north of Launceston mate.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
People have opinions about loud. The Powershots aren't the loudest pipes around, but they're loud and way louder than stock.

As far as the scraping, AFAIK, the wear pads on your floorboards should scrape before other parts of your bike, except maybe the stock bottom pipe if you're loaded two-up or hit a dip in the road in a right curve. If not, they're probably on backwards like they were on my bike. 'Course, sounds like you'd not want them scraping anyway.

Myself, I'll just drive the crotch rocket for that sort of thing. There, I said it, because I knew you'd like that. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi you Whoa LOL

I bought a cruiser to slow me down. At 62 Going slo- is very hard to do. I now. Yes I spend a lot of time any money making my big girl go quicker. But, if I do get on a sporty again, well,,, you know!

Besides, it is so much "FUN" pushing my big lady along ha, ha. I just wish I could lift the board with not to many problems. Major mods' to the brackets to do it.

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts