Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike had been seating for almost a week and today I found around 7 drops of coolant under my bike, I guess under the coolant container. I am new to bikes. What areas should I inspect and check if they are tight enough? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
just a thought but here's a guess, when rad fluid got hot and expanded into #8 there in the pic the rad reservoir tank, maybe the tank got too full and overflowed a bit of rad fluid when you were done your ride last week

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Coolant has a bad habit of leaking here, running around here and there and finally dropping on the floor a good distance from the original leak.

A quote from the Kawasaki assembly manual:

1. All hose clamps to leave factory finger tight.
2. All oil filters to leave factory gut-busting tight.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Leak

Coolant has a bad habit of leaking here, running around here and there and finally dropping on the floor a good distance from the original leak.

A quote from the Kawasaki assembly manual:

1. All hose clamps to leave factory finger tight.
2. All oil filters to leave factory gut-busting tight.

Man, talk about under and over kill........

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
does the 900 rad fluid reservoir tank have a see-thru plastic side tube on it? maybe check to see what level the rad fluid is at inside that tank

·
Registered
673 Posts
The over flow tank is a clear(cloudy) plastic. It can be viewed from the left side of the bike from the rear, about 10-12" off the ground. That or take the left side cover off along with the chrome plated plastic piece under that to see the tank and hose. A bit of a PITA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it does. The container is see-thru plastic and level is almost at upper line. Thank you

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
when the rad fluid and bike are cold, should the recommended rad fluid level on tube be at the upper Full line or at the lower Low line, I can never remember which is recommended so I usually make my reservoir tank level half-way between F and L when bike is cold

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
If the cooling system has a leak, the recovery tank level is no longer relevant.

Tightening all hose clamps when you inspect for the leak is a good start (but not gut-busting tight).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
hugo said recovery tank level is almost at upper line so maybe there are no loose clamps for a leak, maybe the rad fluid just overflowed the top

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The VN900 shop manual says that coolant should be checked when the engine and system are cool, and then the coolant level in the overflow tank should be at the Full mark. When I've changed the coolant I've refilled the system to that level and thankfully so far there has been no sign of leakage or dripping coolant.

There can be confusion as with cars, etc. coolant checks when the system and engine are cool ordinarily should be at the Low mark on the overflow tank.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
hugo said recovery tank level is almost at upper line so maybe there are no loose clamps for a leak, maybe the rad fluid just overflowed the top
It may have overflowed, but like I said, if there is a coolant system leak, which still has to be determined, the recovery bottle level (high or low), has no meaning.

·
Registered
308 Posts
@hugo0612
Have you checked the drainage outlet passage? if it is wet in that passage -using a flashlight, I would stick a paper towel and see if more is coming out... I have experienced in the past a few drops coming from there after riding it >4000 RPM.

blue paper towel wrapped around suspected areas can help in detecting the actual leak.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello durox, I have not checked the drainage outlet passage. I just purchased the Clymer Manual and will try this weekend. Thank you

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I like that paper towel idea, to seek out the source of the rad fluid drops

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kaw fixed a visible gasket leak when my new 12 Nomad leaked. A year later I smelled a leak when hot & running hard, but lost little fluid. This year lifting the tank to install saddle heat shields, I found crusted stuff (alot) ftom a small leak that had crusted up at a hose & sealed itself. I snuggled up the clamp & wiped off the crud. Mystery solved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts