Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the NHTSA website tonight.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/#/PublicationList/6

There is some great data in the latest report.
https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812492

Key Findings

In 2016, there were 5,286 motorcyclists killed—a 5.1-percent increase from the 5,029 motorcyclists killed in 2015.

Per vehicle miles traveled in 2016, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 28 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes.

Twenty-seven percent of motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes in 2016 were riding without valid motorcycle licenses.

In 2016, motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were found to have the highest percentage of alcohol-impaired drivers than any other vehicle types (25% for motorcycles, 21% for passenger cars, 20% for light trucks, and 2% for large trucks).

Thirty-seven percent of motorcycle riders who died in single vehicle crashes in 2016 were alcohol-impaired.

Motorcycle riders killed in traffic crashes at night were three times more frequently alcohol-impaired than those killed during the day in 2016.

NHTSA estimates that helmets saved 1,859 motorcyclists’ lives in 2016, and that 802 more lives could have been saved if all motor cyclists had worn helmets

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good to know that after the birds of prey have their way with my remains some cop will take a blood sample for the glory of statistical analysis!
I somehow see my spirit floating over the scene laughing my, whatever I have that is similar to an ass, off!

·
Registered
175 Posts
part of it is a cultural thing. i don't know about the rest of y'all, but i have met a TON of motorcyclists who's entire riding history consists of riding to hooters or the local bar once a week, and the toy run at christmas time. you see em duck walking in the parking lot, dragging their feet when they take off, and other bad techniques. 9/10 times those bikes get sold in 5 yrs or less, and they have super low mileage. sometimes, even original tires.

motorcyclists 28 times more likely to die in a crash? it doesn't take the intellect of stephen hawking to understand why that is. it may sound scary, but if it does, you don't belong on a bike. it's not like one can claim they didn't know that going into it.

also, it's very common for group rides to become testosterone fueled pissing contests. guys ride beyond their limits and get bitten. i bet everyone here can think of examples they have seen personally. maybe even you were that guy once or twice. tbo, i was that guy when i didn't know better. i was lucky, and learned before it bit me.

here in delaware, you have to have a helmet on the bike, but it doesn't have to be on your head. yeah, in the past, i rode without a helmet. i was stupid. but again, lucky. i am no longer that kind of stupid. (notice i didn't say i'm no longer stupid, hahahaha) i hope i can continue to be lucky. i'd hate to mess up the cool looking gear i have now. hahahaha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts