Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's what I went with when I replaced my tires a month ago. So far, very happy with them, the handling is excellent and an all around smooth ride.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Michelins are the best

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always wondered why people spend more money for the michelins and the Metzler, commanders,etc. versus just putting on stock Dunlops, do we do that just for the ride Superior, or do they last longer too?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I always wondered why people spend more money for the michelins and the Metzler, commanders,etc. versus just putting on stock Dunlops, do we do that just for the ride Superior, or do they last longer too?
I Don't know,got 8k out of the original dunlops and just put a new set on bout 300 miles ago,I like em,Haven't tried mich or metz sure they are good tires,but eh:wink2:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Don't know,got 8k out of the original dunlops and just put a new set on bout 300 miles ago,I like em,Haven't tried mich or metz sure they are good tires,but eh
That sounds decent, I've heard of people getting 12 13000 out of the Commander's , metzler's,? Was I dreaming that?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow I guess Dunlap stop making the stock tire for the Vulcan 900, cannot find a 180 anywhere

·
Registered
643 Posts
Michelin C IIs, 900 Custom. Original rear Dunlop was done at 6k miles, have close to 10K on the Michelin C ii and still have reasonable tread. Got 9K miles out of the CII front tire, lots of twisty mountain roads tend to wear the front tire out, should get a lot more milage on the front tire if just cruising on normal roads. I went with the taller 170/80 rear tire, corrected speedo issue and actual width on the 170 CII is 177mm, I didn't measure the dunlop but don't notice the tire looking any narrower than the wider rated original Dunlop.

I highly recommend using balancing beads, they make for a very smooth ride.

WB

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Michelin C IIs, 900 Custom. Original rear Dunlop was done at 6k miles, have close to 10K on the Michelin C ii and still have reasonable tread. Got 9K miles out of the CII front tire, lots of twisty mountain roads tend to wear the front tire out, should get a lot more milage on the front tire if just cruising on normal roads. I went with the taller 170/80 rear tire, corrected speedo issue and actual width on the 170 CII is 177mm, I didn't measure the dunlop but don't notice the tire looking any narrower than the wider rated original Dunlop.

I highly recommend using balancing beads, they make for a very smooth ride.

WB
Great info! That's the second time I've read the 170 correct the speedometer. Yeah I have the Commander's on my last Vulcan, and seem to handle pretty good, these Dunlap that are on there now do not seem to handle good in the term, they kind of get squirrely. Yes the trade seems to be running off fast on them too. I think I'm down to the Michelin Commander 2 or the Pirelli and I might go with that 170, if it's just that much wider than the 180, now I'd like to know what the Michelin Commander 180 actually is!

·
Registered
308 Posts
That sounds decent, I've heard of people getting 12 13000 out of the Commander's , metzler's,? Was I dreaming that?
While I had my 900, I replaced the front OEM with a Metzler 880 at 22K. It was still passing inspection when I sold the bike at 42K.

My rear OEM was replaced with a Metzler 880 at 11768 and again at 31133 (19365 miles). It was replaced with a Metzler 888 and was still going strong when sold at 42K.

I just switched to 888's on my Nomad. We'll see how they do on a heavier bike.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had someone on another thread say they got like 15 thousand miles out of a Pirelli, back tire, not sure which style it was, right now it's between the Pirelli and the Michelin Commander 2

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Both.

In my case; the Michelins were far cheaper per-mile than the Dunlops; lasting MUCH longer. And the ride quality was much better. More supple, better in the rain, and gave me more of a 'connected' feel. I also ran Metzelers and liked them; they did last longer, but I preferred the handling and ride quality of the Michelins. I've not tried Pirelli motorcycle tires; but I've used them in the past on cars. I've used their P Zero's. Looking at some of their high performance tires to replace the tires on my '14 Mustang (it's not driven in harsh weather).

I have never been a fan of D404's, they are a popular OEM tire. Probably just the lowest bidder, really. The Bridgestones included on the 1700 are pretty decent; but I'll replace those with the Commander II's when the time comes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I'm 90% sure I'm going with the Michelin Commander 2 170, taking Wild Bill's advice, and raving reviews from Roman, and reading it on several other forums, there's hardly any noticeable difference on width, although the bike will sit a little bit higher, which is okay for me. Found the tire app 2 wheel bike , for $147 delivered! That's $9 less than Bike Bandit, Dealer ship charges 55 bucks to put it on, sounds decent to me as I believe I paid at least 250 the last time I had a commander to put on my 2007 Vulcan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, so went in for a rear tire and they recommended a front too, I said WHAT? I thought I had another good 2k left on front. Guy said, it has some dry rot and bare in spot. I could not believe it so I asked to see. I am super anal about tires as I have lost 2 fronts and a rear tire at highway speeds over the last 3 years! All valve stem related so no blow outs but jeez, steering to side of road with flat front is not a good time! Anyway i looked at the tire and could not believe it but yes, rot and complete bare on the SIDE tread, left side, about and 8 inch section! I always check the middle on tread as normally that is where my ware is at. I need to keep and eye on this as could mean run out is bad or spokes not corrct? anyway, To be honest I wanted the dunlop off anyway, and I thought 2 commander 2s for $377 installed was pretty fair. I think someone mentioned beads and they put on my bill as part of the 377, two balancing beads foir 14.00 so I guess i am all good!

Ride home, wow, forgot what good set of shoes felt like, no squirling in turns or banks. I love the banks, it just held the line perfect! And one thing i notice a lot of people do not talk about: quiet quiet quiet, 0 sound in the turn. I remember one time i put on a set of kenda kruz on front and rear.....sounded like a freight train in a turn! I did have to pull over and let the normal 7 pounds of air the dealers love to put in over MOM suggested....made the ride much more softer!

Thanks all and going to copy and paste this to the what did you do for Vulcan so please ignore!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Keller

Don't forget you want to have at least 100 miles on your tires to scrub them in before pushing it in the corners.

Always best to have matching brand / model of tire on front and back. The front and back tire tread design work complimentary to displace water and maximize wet road traction.

WB

1 - 20 of 28 Posts