Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my black beast back in April and have been stalking the forum ever since, but have never posted any pics or details. It's an 04 with 13k miles now, Vance and Hines pipes without baffels and a poorly done black paint job (runs, orange peel, fish eyes you name it).

I am 6'7", 250 and wanted a big, good looking cruiser that was comfortable, but would still get up and go like hell. I rotated the bars forward a little and could definitely use a different seat, but overall this bike fit the bill and I have no regrets. Puts a grin on my face every time I twist that throttle :D

I don't have the budget now to go as wild and cool as many of you have gone, but I am planning to tear it down over the winter clean up the rear fender and have some custom paint work done. I learned a lot from the forum already and enjoyed reading many of your posts and checking out the pics. Hopefully I will have some cool pics to share with you next year!

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Looks like somebody already painted it flat black (black is not a stock 04 color).

You indicated you wanted to smooth out the rear fender this winter. I'm SUCH a huge fan of that. These big bikes really look good when that's done.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey. Should be a great project on a great bike. Keep us posted as you go along. At least it wont be a hard decision to repaint it if its as bad as you say and it will transform the bike as well. What colour are you thinking of painting it?

·
4,905 Posts
At least it wont be a hard decision to repaint it if its as bad as you say and it will transform the bike as well. What colour are you thinking of painting it?
I somehow missed his first line, where he talks about how bad the current paint job is.

Yes.. what color them you thinking about V2kTJ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently the first owner completely wrapped the tank and fenders with leather. The second owner decided to tear it off, but destroyed the factory paint in the process. His friend then offered to repaint it in his barn and the results were not so great. I picked it up for a heavy discount because of this paint job knowing that my brother in law does paint and body for a living.

At the moment I am leaning towards a dark blue with silver tribal flames air brushed to look like metal. I think it would be a great combo on this bike, but I have been changing my mind on colors a lot. Always open to suggestions.

Smedlin - After the first time I saw your bike on here, I knew I wanted to smooth the stock rear fender vs buying an aftermarket. I love how it looks on your bike and some of the other guys on here who have done similar. I will probably go with some LED Arlen Ness Bullets (or similar) with the kit from Kuryakyn to make them both the brake and turn signals. Just need to figure out what to do with the plates since technically it is illegal in Illinois to have the side/ vertical mounts. May go for it anyway or see how pricey it would be to have it frenched into the fender. I will probably keep riding through October before taking it apart for paint so I still have some time to figure things out.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Just need to figure out what to do with the plates since technically it is illegal in Illinois to have the side/ vertical mounts
tj, git you a hunting vest with clear plastic license holder on the bak. Keep yor sled bichin klean. If the lawman ask say it keeps falling off and this was best idea yor bro had. yeah blame him. poncho

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tj, git you a hunting vest with clear plastic license holder on the bak. Keep yor sled bichin klean. If the lawman ask say it keeps falling off and this was best idea yor bro had. yeah blame him. poncho
Haha, that's genius. Problem solved!

·
4,905 Posts
Smedlin - After the first time I saw your bike on here, I knew I wanted to smooth the stock rear fender vs buying an aftermarket. I love how it looks on your bike and some of the other guys on here who have done similar. I will probably go with some LED Arlen Ness Bullets (or similar) with the kit from Kuryakyn to make them both the brake and turn signals. Just need to figure out what to do with the plates since technically it is illegal in Illinois to have the side/ vertical mounts. May go for it anyway or see how pricey it would be to have it frenched into the fender. I will probably keep riding through October before taking it apart for paint so I still have some time to figure things out.
You'd never know it when the bike is off, but the center of the rear fender is actually fiberglass with LED's under it.

1 "bank" of the LED's are running lights, a second "bank" is the brake lights.

I have the small Bullets on the side of the fender, which I use as blinkers.

I also have a run-turn-brake controller from Custom Dynamics. So the blinkers are actually always "on". When I brake, the blinkers get brighter, and they and both banks of fender LED's flash several times before staying lit up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'd never know it when the bike is off, but the center of the rear fender is actually fiberglass with LED's under it.
Man that is awesome, I love it. Might have to look into doing something like that for mine. Did you start with one of the flush mount kits they sell online?

What do y'all mean when you say "smooth out the rear fender?"
I want to remove the stock tail light, license plate holder, and turn signal bar and get rid of all the mounting holes. Gives you more room for some uninterrupted custom graphics and looks cool as hell as you can see on Smedlin's bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts