Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at wits end with the ticking my bike makes. It comes and goes. I haven't heard the tick in about 500 miles so I thought I had cured it but today it started up again. I am at the point where I am going to have replace all of the HLA's. I am just going to do because I really don't want to have to tear down this bike again.

My problem is finding 8 HLA's for reasonable price. The part number I have found is 12025-###. I am not sure of the rest of the part number. Does anyone know where I can get HLA's for a '04 V2K? The only ones I can find are $62 a piece and that is out of my price range.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might have some plugged HLA filters.
To make certain the filters you are referencing are in the rocker arm shafts? I took them out and cleaned them thoroughly along with every other part on the rocker box. Is there something I could add to the oil that might help clear it up?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b2813f8700223e4792bca/valve-s

1053 is the number you're looking for. Here is the best price I've found. This fall I'mm going to replace the 4 in the rear cylinder, as this is where the ticking comes from on mine. I'll "test" (as per the shop manual) the rest.

Also, the rocker shaft has a sintered screen in it (oops, you already know this) that can get clogged with sludge and starve the top of oil. This can cause the ticking as well. I'm going to drill a 1/8" hole through these screens.

My bike does just what yours does: it's quiet for a while and then it'll tick for a while. I switched to 15w50 synthetic oil (talk about sticker shock!). It seems to have helped. The ticking seems less frequent and not as bad when it does happen.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Is there something I could add to the oil that might help clear it up?
I used Motorkote for a while, and it seemed to help, at least at first. I've always been skeptical of putting stuff in the gas or oil that claims to fix everything. Since I switched to synth oil, I don't use MK anymore, and I don't put Seafoam in the gas (I will use Seafoam in the winter).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b2813f8700223e4792bca/valve-s

1053 is the number you're looking for. Here is the best price I've found. This fall I'mm going to replace the 4 in the rear cylinder, as this is where the ticking comes from on mine. I'll "test" (as per the shop manual) the rest.

Also, the rocker shaft has a sintered screen in it (oops, you already know this) that can get clogged with sludge and starve the top of oil. This can cause the ticking as well. I'm going to drill a 1/8" hole through these screens.

My bike does just what yours does: it's quiet for a while and then it'll tick for a while. I switched to 15w50 synthetic oil (talk about sticker shock!). It seems to have helped. The ticking seems less frequent and not as bad when it does happen.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Thanks for the link and part number. Good idea on the screens. I wish I would have thought to do that when I had it apart. I did the shop test on all of the hla's the second time I had it apart. I am sick of taking the bike apart so I am just going to bite the bullet and change them all so I can assure that they are all good. I am also going to clean everything thouroghly to try minimize any debris in the oil passages. The bad thing about this is that my bike only has 8700 miles on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Motorkote for a while, and it seemed to help, at least at first. I've always been skeptical of putting stuff in the gas or oil that claims to fix everything. Since I switched to synth oil, I don't use MK anymore, and I don't put Seafoam in the gas (I will use Seafoam in the winter).
I have only put about 400 miles on my bike since I have taken apart the top end and replaced the bad lash adjuster. I dont want to believe that the adjusters are bad so I am hoping to run some cleaner through the motor to open oil passages. Not a big fan of the adatives but I am also not a fan of the ticking. Just hoping that I had a chance at not having to take my bike apart again. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have only put about 400 miles on my bike since I have taken apart the top end and replaced the bad lash adjuster. I dont want to believe that the adjusters are bad so I am hoping to run some cleaner through the motor to open oil passages. Not a big fan of the adatives but I am also not a fan of the ticking. Just hoping that I had a chance at not having to take my bike apart again. Thanks for the help.
I'm not a fan of additives either, but you're right, the ticking is maddening.

When you took it apart, did you drop the motor? I'm trying like hell to find anyone who will tell me I can take the top apart without dropping the motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a fan of additives either, but you're right, the ticking is maddening.

When you took it apart, did you drop the motor? I'm trying like hell to find anyone who will tell me I can take the top apart without dropping the motor.
I really want to tell you that its possible but it isnt. I tried everything possible to not have to drop the motor. the backbone is to close to the rear cylinder to get the rocker cover and rocker box off due to the length of the bolts holding them in.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I really want to tell you that its possible but it isnt. I tried everything possible to not have to drop the motor. the backbone is to close to the rear cylinder to get the rocker cover and rocker box off due to the length of the bolts holding them in.
Yeah, I figgered. That's why I'm waiting til fall. At least now I know, so I won't try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update...I added some Seafoam to the oil and ran it for around a 1000 miles before changing the oil. After I changed the oil the HLAs ticked for about 5 miles and I havent had an issue since. No sure if it was the oil change or the Seafoam but I am super happy its not ticking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been having the same problems as many of you with the ticking noise. I was going to try the seafoam myself, how much did you use, and is the ticking still gone?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been having the same problems as many of you with the ticking noise. I was going to try the seafoam myself, how much did you use, and is the ticking still gone?
I just followed the directions on the can. Again I am not sure if this fixed the issue but I still dont have any ticking and I have put around 500 miles on the bike since I used the seafoam and changed the oil.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
THE TICK IS BACK! I am so sick of this coming and going. My next move it to use some thicker oil. I was going to try some 15w50 and see where that takes me. I am definitely doing surgery on my bike this winter and replacing the HLAs so I can end this madness.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
THE TICK IS BACK! I am so sick of this coming and going. My next move it to use some thicker oil. I was going to try some 15w50 and see where that takes me. I am definitely doing surgery on my bike this winter and replacing the HLAs so I can end this madness.
I wasn't going to jinx you, but I figured it would come back. Mine did when I did the Seafoam thing. I went to synthetic 15w50 oil and it helped, but it still ticks sometimes. I'm going in this fall/winter, too. New HLAs (at least in the rear cylinder) and drilling holes in the rocker shaft screens. Man, I sure hope it does the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Just an off the cuff suggestion, but are you guys using a Kawasaki approved oil filter? Anything that restricts oil flow can cause the lash adjusters not to pump up completely. I would also recommend removing the oil pressure sending unit and connecting a mechanical gauge to insure you have good oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just an off the cuff suggestion, but are you guys using a Kawasaki approved oil filter? Anything that restricts oil flow can cause the lash adjusters not to pump up completely. I would also recommend removing the oil pressure sending unit and connecting a mechanical gauge to insure you have good oil pressure.
I use a Kawasaki filter. I cringe when I read about the guys who use $3 Wally World filters. More power to em, but it's not where I would save money.

Good call on the pressure check, though. I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have used both kawasaki and K&n filters. Never would I try to cut costs on an oil filter. Also, the tick is gone once again. I didn't do anything but ride the bike as usual.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have used both kawasaki and K&n filters. Never would I try to cut costs on an oil filter. Also, the tick is gone once again. I didn't do anything but ride the bike as usual.
I could be imagining it, but it seems that the harder I ride it, the more the "tick" is kept at bay. Mine is ticking right now (faintly), so I've been rodding it a little to try & make it go away.:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts