Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike doesn't like early starts, just like me. If I'm lucky it will need 2 stabs of the starter, sometimes 3 but never once like it does in the middle of the day.
What Laser Iridium plugs make for easier starting?
(It doesn't get that cold in my locale, rarely below freezing.)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've used NGK CPR7EAIX-9 (marketing # 9198) iridium spark plugs in my 900 for about a year and a half now. I like them, and have had no issues with them. This plug is in the 50,000 mile range for durability (according to NGK). There was an even more expensive iridium option with longer plug life, but NGK marketing said it did not fire as hot thus the longer life, so I chose this one instead. Bought them at Summit Racing for slightly less than $6 each (we have a way cool store in the DFW area). Denso also makes an iridium plug for the 900, but I didn't look very closely at that one. Regarding cold starts, I've had no issues, the bike always fires up the first time. I did however make a slight adjustment to the way I use the starter button. I hold it down about a half second longer then might seem necessary to make sure the engine fires, otherwise occasionally it would not fire up the first time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Unless your plugs are really old or really worn down - no. New plugs wont help with your starting.

I was going to change out my 30,000 mile plugs because 30,000 miles on them. Pulled them out and they look new.
Put them back in and will check in 10,000 or more to see what they look like then!
And they are old type plugs. Not iridium or anything.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Iridium plugs last longer but don't actually perform better. And you still need to pull the plugs every 30k miles or so. If you don't, you risk breaking them off in the head when you finally do. If you pull the plugs, might as well put new ones in. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guess I should pull them before buying unnecessary parts. Do I need a magnetic thingy to pull the rear plug out? They usually jam on the spark plug tool, even deeply recessed ones.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd like to ask a related question if I may. Some are reporting that the standard NGK plug will go 30,000 miles. Is that true? The owner's manual says to change them every 7500 miles. I always thought the only way to go 30,000 miles on a set of spark plugs was to switch to an iridium plug. Can you guys explain this? Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts