Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I have a 2006 V2K with a 240mm rear tire. It's my understanding that that is the largest rear tire you can use without having to modify anything. I think I'm going to have to change the front tire soon and wanted to know what the largest front tire that can be used without making modifications is. I have seen some use a 200mm front tire but I believe they had to widen the rim and fender and that's beyond my skills and wallet. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Use a rear tire up front. Reverse the rotation to keep things safe. Should look fatter, but still a 150/80-16

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - so you're saying that a 150mm rear tire has a slightly fatter look than a 150mm front tire? I'm gonna go google rear tire on the front to research the reason reverse rotation is necessary. It's probably common knowledge so I don't want to appear as the noob I am by asking.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I was at a certain point trying out the same thing, got a bit discouraged after hearing a tire much wider could (most probably) make the handling a little heavier. I did measure a 180 to try to fit it on the front rim but it seems that width of the fender at the narrowest point ( that be at the support points between the fork) would not fit, maybe even taking the fender off would be a hard fit so I held off for a while on the plan.
Turn to looking for 150 rear tires and finally decided on a Dunlop 401 Harley Dav touring tire, once I got it first thing I noticed is the tire was very stiff, like it has thicker walls, once installed it filled out the fender pretty nicely, noticeably more than the bridgestone it had b4.
I did mounted it reversed and at the same time did change the fork oil, I notice a big improvement in handling, so much so that even the rear feels easier to manage, I no longer feel the prescense of the wide car tire trying to straighten the bike up.
Overall very happy with the choice.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was at a certain point trying out the same thing, got a bit discouraged after hearing a tire much wider could (most probably) make the handling a little heavier. I did measure a 180 to try to fit it on the front rim but it seems that width of the fender at the narrowest point ( that be at the support points between the fork) would not fit, maybe even taking the fender off would be a hard fit so I held off for a while on the plan.
Turn to looking for 150 rear tires and finally decided on a Dunlop 401 Harley Dav touring tire, once I got it first thing I noticed is the tire was very stiff, like it has thicker walls, once installed it filled out the fender pretty nicely, noticeably more than the bridgestone it had b4.
I did mounted it reversed and at the same time did change the fork oil, I notice a big improvement in handling, so much so that even the rear feels easier to manage, I no longer feel the prescense of the wide car tire trying to straighten the bike up.
Overall very happy with the choice.
Chanoc, I have almost 15k on my HD 401 Dunlop rear up front now, and there are still no signs of wear, easily going to be a 25 to 30k mile tire! I am very happy with its results in handling an wear! Just put on my new rear CT tonight, had 13k on it and still had a ways to go but didn't want to worry about it so changed it anyways, that was my spare rim with an Mc tire on it', I took off a 1500 mile Mc tire off that rim, won't run another Mc tire again on this bike.... so I have a 75% good Mc tire sitn around if someone wants it. BTO20 Batalax.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just to chime in, chanoc is square on about the appearance and handling by going darkside up front. I'm currently running a 205/55-16 general gmax as-03 in back. With a b.stone excedra max up front it had a tendency to want to stay verticle. I put a shinko 230 tourmaster rear, turned backwards and now truly can't feel any difference from having a mc tire on in back. Is it because of the front or did I just get used to things, dunno. Still won't turn from the darkside!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts