Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the larger sprocket bought and ready to install. I tried to get the nut off and failed with my biggest spanner. That bugger is on tight and I don't have a pipe and also someone strong enough to stop me picking the bike up. My neighbour is a small guy and 120 lbs wet through.
My local mech guy was too busy to slot me in to do this last time I was home so I will be getting this done soon (ish) but as of now I can only go by what others say. Currently 70 MPH is 5200 rpm on my bike and once I put the 16T on I am hoping for 4700 or so and also maybe get some better use out of 1st and 2nd gear.

I will update when I get home and it's done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, one tooth is basically the max due to the room around the front sprocket, i did get a cush one like the original setup rather than a solid one. it has made a little difference on revs but not a lot but its done enough for what i needed.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the larger sprocket bought and ready to install. I tried to get the nut off and failed with my biggest spanner. That bugger is on tight and I don't have a pipe and also someone strong enough to stop me picking the bike up. My neighbour is a small guy and 120 lbs wet through.

My local mech guy was too busy to slot me in to do this last time I was home so I will be getting this done soon (ish) but as of now I can only go by what others say. Currently 70 MPH is 5200 rpm on my bike and once I put the 16T on I am hoping for 4700 or so and also maybe get some better use out of 1st and 2nd gear.

I will update when I get home and it's done.

Put the transmission in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts

Hi Mate, that wasn't the issue. I had the bike in gear and my wife standing on the back brake and trying to weigh it down. I was lifting the bike and her rather than bothering the nut. Tried the same with my neighbour. I don't have an impact driver, that would be the only way to get it off solo based on my own experience.

The easiest solution for me is to run it around the block to the motorbike shop. He will do it for a little money and he knows I will end up buying something else in the shop whilst I am waiting so won't fleece me!

Cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on mine and it made a world of difference. The speedo is quite accurate now (matches the "your speed" radar units) but the odometer is about 5 percent off. After a 100 mile ride, all my riding buddies tell me we went 100 miles, my odo says 94-95.

However, the improvement in speed per gear makes it well worth the $8 I paid for the sprocket. One issue is that with bags and a windshield on my bike, I cannot get it to redline in 6th. It will pull 105 mph in 5th and no faster, but that's not something I need to do anyway.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Maybe

I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on mine and it made a world of difference. The speedo is quite accurate now (matches the "your speed" radar units) but the odometer is about 5 percent off. After a 100 mile ride, all my riding buddies tell me we went 100 miles, my odo says 94-95.

However, the improvement in speed per gear makes it well worth the $8 I paid for the sprocket. One issue is that with bags and a windshield on my bike, I cannot get it to redline in 6th. It will pull 105 mph in 5th and no faster, but that's not something I need to do anyway.

its your buddies that is off since the speedo is now accurate:nerd:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, let's see. After over 55 years of riding over 750,000 miles and doing 2-300 mile daily rides with my buddies on a couple Spiders, an R1250RT BMW, a Triumph Trophy and a couple Harleys, you may call me a nerd if it makes you feel better, but my odometer is off by around five percent while the speedo is fairly accurate. Before the sprocket change the speedo was off but the ODO was right on.

Perhaps you have other nerd friends who could explain that to you... I just posted the results I get on my bike.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
57 Posts

You know sometimes in life, even if you're old and supposedly wizened, you'd do well to read something twice. I never considered attacking this nut from left side, ergo pushing the bike to the floor rather than the right and lifting it up, as you face the side of the bike. I will get on it TN. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw a video where the guy removed the rear tire and put a screwdriver through then zip tied it together so it wouldn't move. I immobilized the chain with 3 wire coat hangers. I cut the hook off to stretch the wires out and ran them through the top and bottom of the chain twisting the ends together. Worked wonders using only a 1/2 inch wratches and 18 inch cheater bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts