Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
PS: Off-topic-ish: a guy on a Suzuki M109R, complete with spraypainted bike, helmet, and gloves, came up the shoulder when I was stopped at a light and got in front of me, looked both ways for many seconds, and then ran the red light to make a left. Literally 3 seconds later, the light turned green and I went. Such silliness.
Perhaps you know, or not.

In some places, like here in MN, it is legal for a MC to proceed through a red light if you have stopped and it appears not changing, and there is no traffic pending that may change it.

A MC isn't always enough to trigger the lights. I live in a reasonably small town with two traffic lights. At certain times it is not unusual to have to proceed through a red (after stopping and waiting a bit, etc.).

169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are old riders —

I do know and have encountered, many young riders who lane split
I have not met any "old" experienced riders who either practice or advocate such behaviour.

VN750Guy is absolutely correct with his observations of nature !
:devil2:

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there aren’t any old bold riders.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yo, VN750guy. Very well said and very articulate! And Gary, this is a forum, an idea and opine sharing place. It's apparent by your brief rant that there are anger/impatience issues here. This is also America where free speech, the right to carry, are standing laws.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Perhaps you know, or not.

In some places, like here in MN, it is legal for a MC to proceed through a red light if you have stopped and it appears not changing, and there is no traffic pending that may change it.

A MC isn't always enough to trigger the lights. I live in a reasonably small town with two traffic lights. At certain times it is not unusual to have to proceed through a red (after stopping and waiting a bit, etc.).

169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.
Sure, it may be legal in some states, but not in Maryland where I live, as far as I know, and he also ran the red light, which is illegal no matter what you ride or drive. Yes, he could've been stuck at the light, but that wasn't the case. He was behind several other vehicles, during rush hour, and went around all of us to get to the front and run the red. My truck was #1 in line, so I know it would trip the light, and the lights are timed during rush hour anyway, so he wouldn't have had to wait. In fact, in all the riding I've done, I've never been passed over or skipped when on my bike by myself at a light, so no need to run the red.

-John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sure, it may be legal in some states, but not in Maryland where I live, as far as I know, and he also ran the red light, which is illegal no matter what you ride or drive. Yes, he could've been stuck at the light, but that wasn't the case. He was behind several other vehicles, during rush hour, and went around all of us to get to the front and run the red. My truck was #1 in line, so I know it would trip the light, and the lights are timed during rush hour anyway, so he wouldn't have had to wait. In fact, in all the riding I've done, I've never been passed over or skipped when on my bike by myself at a light, so no need to run the red.

-John
I realize it's an interesting story but how is this related to lane splitting? It's actually nothing permissible nor legal, and it's not California so I find there's little context.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I realize it's an interesting story but how is this related to lane splitting? It's actually nothing permissible nor legal, and it's not California so I find there's little context.
In my original post, it was a PS. I realize it's not related to lane splitting.

-John

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like the Utah law they just passed. Traffic has to be stopped and your speed cannot exceed 15 mph. During rush hour where I live it would be a real time saver if they passed something like that here. I'm probably in the minority on this issue but that's ok. If I lived in California I would lane split every chance I got. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

-John
Fair enough. That should teach me to not respond to posts that, in hindsight, have effectively zero context to understand what really happened. The way you relayed the original version reads like a simple "stuck" light scenario.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like the Utah law they just passed. Traffic has to be stopped and your speed cannot exceed 15 mph. During rush hour where I live it would be a real time saver if they passed something like that here. I'm probably in the minority on this issue but that's ok. If I lived in California I would lane split every chance I got. Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it.
As i said earlier i live in a S E Asia where bike riding standards are very low, I lane split all the time, but I almost invariably follow this self imposed rule. interesting to see it enshrined in law, very sensible, and a good compromise.

I see ridding like he guy going between the lorries every day, and regularly see the dead body that results, never ride/drive into a closing gap, was a rule pushed on me all the time by my Dad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is a good idea. Especially on hot summer days,:smile2:

·
Registered
40 Posts

That is a good idea. Especially on hot summer days,/forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
I am certainly ok with this. When I do travel to California, especially in traffic, I noticed most cars/trucks will slightly move over and create a larger path for you to filter through as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wasn't here a month ago when this post started, lol. So I will chime in now:

M1 license: 2003; since then about 250,000 miles ridden. Maybe a little more....

1. Lived in WA State / lane splitting illegal. Said "that's crazy! No way would I ever lane split, way too risky"

2. Moved to CA (LOL) / lane splitting wasn't specifically illegal, so many riders do it. I made it about 1.5-2 years here with my "I'll never do it!" stance.

3. Started lane splitting about 12 years ago.

4. The first 2 years of lane splitting were on a Honda Aero 1100 (wide beach bars) and the last 9 years of lane splitting have been on my GL1800 Honda Goldwing. Yep, all 44" mirror to mirror of it.

5. The key to successful, smart lane splitting is being HYPER AWARE and paying attention, and not doing stupid stuff. And since I split on a Goldwing - yep, I have to be extra judicious about my lane splitting due to the size of the bike.

6. This means watching everyone - ahead, and behind (in case I need to move over to let another bike go by, who doesn't need to worry so much about width). From the mini-van (extra cautious about those....) to the people I can see their hands moving through their rear window (yeah....that means they are yapping at the passenger and not paying attention), to those who can't hold a line in their lane (are they on their phone? Dinking around in the car?) I just wait it out, and won't split until there is enough of an opening in the next lane to buy myself enough clearance/extra safety room. Cars/trucks who ARE paying attention, will often MOVE, noticeably and PURPOSEFULLY over in their lane - this is my permission slip to go by, even on a HUGE Goldwing. If they won't cooperate, then I don't take stupid chances. Simple as that. Like anything, mitigating your risks responsibly (we all ride, right?) means you'll last longer of your own accord.

Anyway - lane splitting is not really for the faint of heart, or the inexperienced, and requires due diligence and high levels of being able to SEE what people are doing that might take you out, and also being able to anticipate and maintain your sense of self-preservation. Happy & Safe Lane splitting to those who have the legal ability to do so. And for those who don't want to, that's totally fine. I'll see ya down the road somewhere.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts