Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on lane splitting? Of course in states it's legal.
I go to and from California alot and when traffic gets backed up, I debate about it. I've started doing it lately for a couple reasons. Ensuring the bike doesnt overheat while not moving. Not getting to hot/cold myself while sitting there. Time factor as well.
I'm not talking while going 60 on the freeway, but the 0-25 mph range in traffic. I've noticed that with a bit of revving and making myself known, people actually pull over and out of the way a bit to make more room, even semis.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
legal but risky, so what's the rush?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Not legal here. Guys do it any way.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
In NYS it's illegal to pass on the right for any reason so pulling up on the right side of a vehicle, you risk being turned into. They don't know you're there. Even where it's legal it aggravates cagers and that's dangerous too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a buddy do that to have someone open their door right in front of him. He doesn’t ride anymore. Especially in this day and age of road rage, I would think you would have at least one person you would piss off.

Unless your bike is air cooled and it’s above 80 degrees, I don’t think you’re going to overheat. If you would, you’d be better off taking extra time and going side roads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I split lanes pretty often here in cali.. Most cars expect it and they are very considerate by getting out of the way and making room. Its one of those things that help out the community ( less traffic congestion) and provides us some degree of safety by allowing us to have extra room on the road if we would need it. I dont know about you guys but im always keeping my eye on my mirror at stop lights.. just waiting for that one guy not to see me stopped there.. so I tend to get in a lane with a car already waiting or in between two cars.

Now, with that being said, lane splitting can still be extremely dangerous if not done properly. Things like not lane splitting more than ~10mph than the speed of the cars around you and not splitting on the right side of the car are common sense rules that need to be followed.. obviously there are more but gives you an idea how dangerous it can be if you zipping between cars (white lining) or passing people on their right out of their field of view.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, you are going to be passing cars on their right side if you split lanes. I don't have a problem with it. I think some drivers don't know that it's legal so they get upset if they see someone trying to cut in line so to speak. When the 405 turns into a parking lot it can really save you some travel time.

The number of dangerous, unskilled and unstable drivers has grown exponentially. Lane splitting is one of the many advantages we have riding a bike. Be vigilant and keep a sharp eye on your surroundings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, you are going to be passing cars on their right side if you split lanes. I don't have a problem with it. I think some drivers don't know that it's legal so they get upset if they see someone trying to cut in line so to speak. When the 405 turns into a parking lot it can really save you some travel time.

The number of dangerous, unskilled and unstable drivers has grown exponentially. Lane splitting is one of the many advantages we have riding a bike. Be vigilant and keep a sharp eye on your surroundings.
When I said passing on the drivers right, I meant like passing a car on his right in the furthest right lane.

I've gone done the 405 quite a few times when I used to live in Ventura County. I can't explain the feeling of splitting lanes when traffic is at a stand still. Only issue i've encountered doing that is the random rider who is speeding by the traffic so I have to keep an eye out behind me.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
On my last trip to San Diego, I was going through Oakland on the 880 during rush hour traffic at about 4PM. I decided to try splitting lanes since I had never done it before. I waited until a Goldwing went by and I tucked in right behind him. A couple of times I noticed cars making sudden lane changes right ahead of me, and worse I was struck by the number of people I saw staring at their phones, thinking that because traffic was creeping along it would be a great opportunity for catching up on Facebook or Instagram. And there are the rigs with the random RV mirror sticking out that you have to watch for.

A little while later I noticed motorcycles in the car pool lane. I didn't know it if was legal or not, but then three bikes went by followed by two CHP motorcycle cops about 100 feet behind them, so i figured it must be legal and I went for it.

Not opposed to lane splitting, but I confess to it making me feel pretty hinky while doing it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its legit to lane split any here in UK we call it Filtering ,we have road signs saying Filter with care,

we are also allowed to ride in some bus lanes
but I've noticed the bikes not heavy enough for the traffic light sensor

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live in Houston, which is the 4th biggest metro area in the nation (approx 6.1m people)...

There is a lot of money here, lots of major highways and no public transportation, meaning that EVERYONE in this city drives a car or a huge truck...

So yeah, it’s dangerous enough riding around in Houston, let alone lane splitting like an idiot...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I live in Houston, which is the 4th biggest metro area in the nation (approx 6.1m people)...

There is a lot of money here, lots of major highways and no public transportation, meaning that EVERYONE in this city drives a car or a huge truck...

So yeah, it’s dangerous enough riding around in Houston, let alone lane splitting like an idiot...
Some people might think that only an idiot would sit in traffic with distracted drivers all around them in huge trucks staring at their phones. I would say that to each his/her own. If you don't have the skills to split then don't do it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A little while later I noticed motorcycles in the car pool lane. I didn't know it if was legal or not, but then three bikes went by followed by two CHP motorcycle cops about 100 feet behind them, so i figured it must be legal and I went for it.

Not opposed to lane splitting, but I confess to it making me feel pretty hinky while doing it.

My understanding is that federal law prohibits states from enacting laws that prohibit motorcycles in car pool lanes. I may have heard it somewhere or just made it up so long ago that now I believe it.

EDIT: from the US Department of Transportation:

Why are motorcycles allowed in some HOV lanes?
Motorcycles are permitted by federal law to use HOV lanes, even with only one passenger. The rationale behind allowing motorcycles to use HOV lanes is that it is safer to keep two-wheeled vehicles moving than to have them travel in start-and-stop traffic conditions. States can choose to override this provision of federal law, if they determine that safety is at risk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hopefully your bike is as noticeable as possible. Turning on your hazards, burping the engine once in a while, etc. Nothing worse than trying to whisper through unnoticed only to have someone turn into you. I'd rather piss someone off by having loud exhaust and for putting my headlight in their mirrors. At least that way they see me.

Also, those people that fly through lanes 50+ the going speed of traffic have a death wish.

Lastly, just follow someone on a road king haha they clear the lanes better than Moses and the Red Sea.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
in Virginia, lane splitting is not legal, but slow progress along the right shoulder of an interstate is when traffic is at a stand still. But like some other responses have noted, cagers do not know this law and get ticked off at the bikes for doing so, sooooo....road rage ensues, yelling, middle finger, cursing, calling the car ugly....stuff like that

·
Registered
48 Posts
Filtering is legal here in Norway, and bikes can also use the bus/taxi lane.

Can't explain exactly why, but I love filtering. It's fun, and perfectly safe as long as you don't go too fast or ride the right shoulder. Most cars, trucks and buses will move to the side to let you pass if there's little room, especially if traffic's not moving much. (A few will try to block you for some reason. But most are cool.) I signal my presence with the throttle and sometimes hazard lights (and occasionally by turning on the brights).

Filtering should be allowed everywhere :grin2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Filtering is legal here in Norway, and bikes can also use the bus/taxi lane.

Can't explain exactly why, but I love filtering. It's fun, and perfectly safe as long as you don't go too fast or ride the right shoulder. Most cars, trucks and buses will move to the side to let you pass if there's little room, especially if traffic's not moving much. (A few will try to block you for some reason. But most are cool.) I signal my presence with the throttle and sometimes hazard lights (and occasionally by turning on the brights).

Filtering should be allowed everywhere /forums/images/VulcanForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
I kind of agree...

Filtering works great in cities/municipalities with the infrastructure that allows for it (little population, little traffic, smaller roadways with lesser speed limits, etc)...

Speed limit in Houston is 75mph (120km) - imagine that hahaha !!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts