Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a Voyager 2012 and have concluded that I need to get a different seat. The stock I "thought" was fine but I have been doing a lot of short and long trips lately and find that after a while I keep having to shift about to ease the discomfort in my @ss, tail bone and particulary lower inside of my thighs.

Now considering the Mustang and also the Kawasaki gel top. I like both from what I have read but wondering if anyone has experiences with BOTH and can throw in some input before I pull the trigger on one.

Not looking to replace the rear seat, the GF's @ss is padded enough (Shhhh don't tell her I said that :D )

Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Now considering the Mustang and also the Kawasaki gel top. I like both from what I have read but wondering if anyone has experiences with BOTH and can throw in some input before I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks.
My opinion is that adding gel padding to the Kawi seat does not cure it's terrible ergonomics and shape. The stock seat puts your spine at an awkward angle and the way it curves up at the front to cup your "package" and lock you into one position is uncomfortable.

I went with the Mustang and have no regrets. It lets you sit back further, and the flatter bottom allows you to move around a bit. It is firmer than stock, but oddly more comfortable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neither!

I wouldn't go with either before you check out meancitycycles.com I LOVE the seat mods they've done for me...very good and not near as pricey as Mustang or Cobra.

I ride a Voyager 2012 and have concluded that I need to get a different seat. The stock I "thought" was fine but I have been doing a lot of short and long trips lately and find that after a while I keep having to shift about to ease the discomfort in my @ss, tail bone and particulary lower inside of my thighs.

Not looking to replace the rear seat, the GF's @ss is padded enough (Shhhh don't tell her I said that :D )

Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My opinion is that adding gel padding to the Kawi seat does not cure it's terrible ergonomics and shape. The stock seat puts your spine at an awkward angle and the way it curves up at the front to cup your "package" and lock you into one position is uncomfortable.

I went with the Mustang and have no regrets. It lets you sit back further, and the flatter bottom allows you to move around a bit. It is firmer than stock, but oddly more comfortable.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. It really is the poor shape of the stock seats that create the most discomfort, rather than the materials.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I AGREE...don't waste your $$$ on the Kawi gel seat. It is basically the same shape as the stock seat and the gel padding was marginally better at best. My gel seat is sitting in a box in storage.

But it's for sale for $50.00:eek:

RACNRAY

·
Registered
169 Posts
I AGREE...don't waste your $$$ on the Kawi gel seat. It is basically the same shape as the stock seat and the gel padding was marginally better at best. My gel seat is sitting in a box in storage.

RACNRAY
What are you using Ray? Got any pics?

·
Registered
70 Posts

RACNRAY
Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. I have the gel seat and have made trips to St. Augustine, Fl; New Orleans and Denver. A$$ fatigue was not a problem!! I will admit that the addition of the Grasshopper backrest was very nice!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts

Thanks.

RACNRAY
Sorry, but couldn't disagree more. I have the gel seat and have made trips to St. Augustine, Fl; New Orleans and Denver. A$$ fatigue was not a problem!! I will admit that the addition of the Grasshopper backrest was very nice!! :D
MY BAD...the original poster has a Voyager, I have a Vaquero and I believe Psychored has a Nomad, three different skoots with different seats,so my experience only pertains to Kawi's gel seat for the Vaquero and my BUTT!!

I need to pay more attention!!:eek:

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
What are you using Ray? Got any pics?
I sent my stock seat to a company in Central Florida for a redo, decent job, more comfy than stock, but took 2 months. The seat ain't perfect as it was originally set-up when i weighed 25 pnds more, it's a bit too hard now.

I had the gel seat on then so i was able to ride while the stock seat was gettin done. I think it cost about $400.00 to have my seat redone.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
169 Posts

Thanks.
I guess in my earlier post when I asked Ray what he was using,I should have also mention, that I think the stock VV seat is awesome. At least so far. We have been on a couple 200 mile rides and I found it to be comfortable.
On the other hand, I had to find that "Sweet Spot' or my junk would be very upset with me :D But all in all, I find it to be a comfortable seat. Especially over other stock seats on different mfgs bikes. I would be very interested also as to what others are using on their VV and there feed back as well.

On a side note; $50 to keep my mouth shut about the GF @ss comment :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
MY BAD...the original poster has a Voyager, I have a Vaquero and I believe Psychored has a Nomad, three different skoots with different seats,so my experience only pertains to Kawi's gel seat for the Vaquero and my BUTT!!

I need to pay more attention!!:eek:

RACNRAY
And I have a Vulcan custom 900. However, most of the seats are a similar shape and cause similar pains; tailbone and numbness in the ass. I think it is this "dished/curved banana " shape that puts all of the pressure on the tailbone. I think the gel would help with numbness, but maybe not the tailbone issues. That can only be fixed with a different shaped seat in my experience.

However, everyone is different, and can tolerate different amounts of discomfort, and has different shaped "parts" so the dish like shape of these seats may not be a problem for some. For me, the stock seat was the absolute worst thing to sit on. EVER. I had a 1986 Yamaha Maxim-X that had a flatter shaped seat with fairly good cushioning and I could ride a few hours without too much discomfort, same for my 1985 Honda Nighthawk. It had a flat seat (but not as much cushioning).

My Vulcan, however, has been a much different story. Until I got the saddlemen renegade, that is.

Matt

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the stock VV seat is awesome, to be a comfortable seat. Especially over other stock seats on different mfgs bikes. I would be very interested also as to what others are using on their VV and there feed back as well.

:D
As 1oldtimer states, I too have no issues with the stock VV seat. I rode 2900miles in 9 days this past spring and was very comfortable the whole time... but I know it fits each rider differently. I know larger riders than me that have changed out the stock seat complaining of @ss and leg pain. Fits me fine, at 5'8" and 180lbs. I couldn't have any aftermarket seat that moved me back any, or I would not be able to reach my longhorn highway pegs, which I have angled back already to reach comfortably, and would have to add risers and sweepbacks a bit too to reach the grips without stretching.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
And I have a Vulcan custom 900. However, most of the seats are a similar shape and cause similar pains; tailbone and numbness in the ass. I think it is this "dished/curved banana " shape that puts all of the pressure on the tailbone. I think the gel would help with numbness, but maybe not the tailbone issues. That can only be fixed with a different shaped seat in my experience.

However, everyone is different, and can tolerate different amounts of discomfort, and has different shaped "parts" so the dish like shape of these seats may not be a problem for some. For me, the stock seat was the absolute worst thing to sit on. EVER. I had a 1986 Yamaha Maxim-X that had a flatter shaped seat with fairly good cushioning and I could ride a few hours without too much discomfort, same for my 1985 Honda Nighthawk. It had a flat seat (but not as much cushioning).

My Vulcan, however, has been a much different story. Until I got the saddlemen renegade, that is.

Matt
I had one of those, a 650. I could ride it longer than any other bike I had with a factory seat. (04 1500 Classic, 07 1600 Meanie, 99 1100 V Star, 08 V2K)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was thinking of getting the new Airhawk R. Any one use it?
I have only used the airhawk 2. It is (was) good at virtually eliminating the numbness, but did nothing for the tailbone pain (except delay its' onset for about 30 minutes).

The new one looks like it has a cut out area for that exact purpose, but I think ultimately the shape of the seat it is laid upon is what will determine comfort, at least for me anyway.

Matt

·
Registered
636 Posts
2011 Kawasaki Vaquero
Stock Seat - Sucks
Stock Gel - Sucks Less
Stock seat redone by Bill Mayer - Sucks even Less
Mustang Vaquero Seat - Pure Pleasure

My 2 cents

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow a lot of responses.

OK I am guessing so far that the Kwak gel seat is nothing more than a stock seat with a gel insert so I really fail to see much of an improvement. As I orginally mentioned I have found that the first pain(s) are lower inside thighs which on two occassions have lead to what can only be described as cramping. I think this is due to narrow front of the saddle maybe? Back pain comes on a while later.

I should also mention that I am 5'11" and 220 lbs and a "short" ride for me is 100+ miles but regulary do 300+ a day.

·
Registered
636 Posts
mustang seat

2011 Kawasaki Vaquero
Stock Seat - Sucks
Stock Gel - Sucks Less
Stock seat redone by Bill Mayer - Sucks even Less
Mustang Vaquero Seat - Pure Pleasure

My 2 cents
Einstein I will have to agree the Mustang is pure pleasure!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts