Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After considering several methods to add additional lighting at the rear of my 9c, I found a lightly used Kuryakyn Triple Whammy Run-Turn-Brake plug 'n play unit for sale and went for it. Upon arrival, I found that I had one of the "one off" 900's that had 4 separate wiring bundles going to the back of the bike, each with a separate wiring connector. This image shows the RTB unit with the white 6 way connectors and my collection of connectors:

Bummer! This one wasn't going to be plug-and-play after all.

I contacted Kuryakyn support and quickly received responses even though I didn't buy the unit new...thanks Kuryakyn. I asked about their wire colors and about the flow through the unit plus inquired if they could forward a set of connectors so that I could alter my system to match theirs. They confirmed their wiring matched Kawasaki's...red-tail, blue-brake, black-ground, gray-right and green-left. They also said that the flow through the unit inputs on the load balancer side and outputs to the side that has the removable brake flasher tab. Unfortunately, they could not forward the connectors...apparently someone else makes the unit for them--my guess anyway.

So, after a several hour search through the internet...voila...these appear:
Corsa-Technic 6 way connector kits

Received these in about 3 days and got to work:

The four bundles going to the back of the bike were identified as:
1-2way with right/ground
1-2way with left/ground
1-3way with tail/brake/ground
1-2way with plate light/ground

I had previously mounted a plate holder with led's and wired it to the tail light circuit and effectively abandoned the plate light bundle so I just ignored it in this process.

Knowing I had more grounds (a total of 3) and only 1 slot in the new connectors for ground, I decided to not cut the grounds out of the left/right bundles and only cut the left/right wires out leaving the grounds connected in their original connectors.

After soldering the pins and inserting them into the correct positions, I had the following:

The RTB unit isn't shown in the photo you could see the connections better.

I then found spots for both the RTB unit and the load equilizer and zip tied them securely.

Now, with this setup, should the RTB unit fail, I can simply remove it from the system quickly.

Hope this helps anyone else with a "one off" 9 who would like to install the RTB.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Nice clean professional job. I have an '07 too and have been thinking along the same lines. Pics were great. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice clean professional job. I have an '07 too and have been thinking along the same lines. Pics were great. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, ash, for the kind words. Finding the link to the connectors took more time than the installation!

BTW, since I had installed this Comagination Brake Flasher about 2 years ago, I left it in the circuit and disabled the brake flashing feature on the RTB. Now, when braking, the taillight flashes as it always has and the signals show a solid brake light. I figure if either unit goes bad, I can easily still have a brake light flasher regardless.

And, I highly recommend this Comagination Headlight Modulator as well. I don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks, ash, for the kind words. Finding the link to the connectors took more time than the installation!

BTW, since I had installed this Comagination Brake Flasher about 2 years ago, I left it in the circuit and disabled the brake flashing feature on the RTB. Now, when braking, the taillight flashes as it always has and the signals show a solid brake light. I figure if either unit goes bad, I can easily still have a brake light flasher regardless.

And, I highly recommend this Comagination Headlight Modulator as well. I don't leave home without it.
How do you get the rear turn signals to work as non flashing brake lights, and the stock brake light flashing? (I know I'd need red lenses to convert turn signals into dual purpose lights)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you get the rear turn signals to work as non flashing brake lights, and the stock brake light flashing? (I know I'd need red lenses to convert turn signals into dual purpose lights)
I previously installed the Comagination brake flasher (had it in operation for about 2 years). It is located "downstream" electrically from the RTB. I left it in the circuit and removed the flasher jumper from the RTB. The RTB supplies a constant brake signal to the Comagination which is only connected to the brakelight, which then modulates just the brakelight leaving the signals unmodulated during braking. Also, leaving the Comagination unit alone was one less thing I had to tend to during the install...the "lazy" factor was a major contributor...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts