Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any pictures of the Kuryakyn Multi Rack mounted on a Voyager. The reason I ask this is because the mounting stems are able to be placed anywhere and I would like to get some ideas of where to mount mine.

Multi-Rack Adjustable Trunk Luggage Rack | Luggage Racks | Touring & Comfort | Küryakyn

I was thinking of mounting the front stems on the front edge tube near the outside tie down loops. That way it would be closer to the front edge of the top where it will be a little stiffer and stronger. The back ones in the picture look like they are in a good spot for strength.

But I would really like to see what all you guys think about this. I will only be putting my sleeping bag with air mattress on the rack so it wont be much weight for concern of cracking the top. The bag weighs 4.4 lbs and the mattress weighs 6.2 lbs. If the 10.6 lbs is too much for the lid I will just put the bag up there.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I'm looking for any pictures of the Kuryakyn Multi Rack mounted on a Voyager. The reason I ask this is because the mounting stems are able to be placed anywhere and I would like to get some ideas of where to mount mine.

Multi-Rack Adjustable Trunk Luggage Rack | Luggage Racks | Touring & Comfort | Küryakyn

I was thinking of mounting the front stems on the front edge tube near the outside tie down loops. That way it would be closer to the front edge of the top where it will be a little stiffer and stronger. The back ones in the picture look like they are in a good spot for strength.

But I would really like to see what all you guys think about this. I will only be putting my sleeping bag with air mattress on the rack so it wont be much weight for concern of cracking the top. The bag weighs 4.4 lbs and the mattress weighs 6.2 lbs. If the 10.6 lbs is too much for the lid I will just put the bag up there.
I mounted mine pretty much like the picture. It cracked the lid at all four mounting points. Maybe I tightened them too much. Someone said you not to use lock tight and I did. Anyway it cracked. Also the bottom cracked around the front hinge. I think it is due to the abs being so thin. Check other makes and the abs is a lot thicker. The back rest pulled thru the lid at a three points. They said I overloaded the trunk. Just an excuse not to cover it under warranty. Probably like that with any warranty claim. I don't have much faith in Kawasaki's warranty. Probably come up with some excuse not to cover anything. I'll end up buying a new trunk down the road. They won't sell just the lid. I carry my tent on it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Knowing how light the material the lid is made of I would think the bases of the support brackets would cover more area to disperse the load more evenly.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Knowing how light the material the lid is made of I would think the bases of the support brackets would cover more area to disperse the load more evenly.
The supports for the multi rack are made for a flat surface. There is no flat surface on the trunk lid. That could have a lot to do with it cracking to. At least that's what I think. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
If memory serves me correct, there was a comment or two on another post about luggage racks on the Voyagers. Simply put, it was discussing the need of having a metal strip/plate under the legs of the rack to better distribute the weight across the lid. The metal strip would have to be custom fitted for the curves and shape of the lid of course

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
51,000 miles on my Voyager with a show chrome goldwing rack that I ground the legs to line up with the lid. Used fiber and rubber washers. No issues and no loc-tite used. No cracks anywhere. The plastic is flexible instead of rigid, but that doesn't mean it is weak.

You should see how flexible and strong my dirt bike plastics are.

I have had a mirror, the chrome tank trim, and the engine covered under warranty. Kawasaki even reimbursed me for the wire chaffing repair I had done at a Honda dealer while on the road.

Very happy with Kawasaki's warranty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mounted the rack yesterday and all went well. The tricky part is deciding where to mount the legs. I tried a couple of areas before I found one that worked for me. In the picture you can see that they need to be perfectly perpendicular with the lid and adjusted so all four legs touch without any rocking.

[/url]Rack 01 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Because of the other comments I have heard about cracked lids I will only be using this for my sleeping bag which is less then 5 lbs. This rack does stiffen up the lid a lot and I am very pleased with the product.

[/url]Rack 02 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mounted mine pretty much like the picture. It cracked the lid at all four mounting points. Maybe I tightened them too much. Someone said you not to use lock tight and I did. Anyway it cracked. Also the bottom cracked around the front hinge. I think it is due to the abs being so thin. Check other makes and the abs is a lot thicker. The back rest pulled thru the lid at a three points. They said I overloaded the trunk. Just an excuse not to cover it under warranty. Probably like that with any warranty claim. I don't have much faith in Kawasaki's warranty. Probably come up with some excuse not to cover anything. I'll end up buying a new trunk down the road. They won't sell just the lid. I carry my tent on it.
Warranties do not cover any damage that WE cause.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Warranties do not cover any damage that WE cause.
Of course not. What I wanted covered was the fact that the backrest mounts had failed. I had nothing to do with that. They just used the excuse that the trunk had been overloaded. Wouldn't that be nice if warranties covered our blunders.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I mounted the rack yesterday and all went well. The tricky part is deciding where to mount the legs. I tried a couple of areas before I found one that worked for me. In the picture you can see that they need to be perfectly perpendicular with the lid and adjusted so all four legs touch without any rocking.

[/url]Rack 01 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Because of the other comments I have heard about cracked lids I will only be using this for my sleeping bag which is less then 5 lbs. This rack does stiffen up the lid a lot and I am very pleased with the product.

[/url]Rack 02 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr[/IMG]
I mounted mine exactly as your pictures show. Mine cracked before I had carried anything. It was probably my fault. Maybe to tight or caused by loc tight. I don't know. I took the lid off and laid some fiber glass on the underside to help reinforce it. Still continued to crack. I think the biggest reason is that the abs is so thin. Again those mounts are for a flat surface and there isn't any to the lid. So maybe tightening them too much started the whole process. Hope you have a better experience than I did. Though it is nice to have it to carry some things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought my V-ger used and it had that luggage rack on it.

I don't put heavy stuff in the luggage rack bag. Usually just rain gear, glove, tire gauge and other lite stuff.

If you are going to load the rack up then you need to load up the tourpack to help support the lid.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mounted mine exactly as your pictures show. Mine cracked before I had carried anything. It was probably my fault. Maybe to tight or caused by loc tight. I don't know. I took the lid off and laid some fiber glass on the underside to help reinforce it. Still continued to crack. I think the biggest reason is that the abs is so thin. Again those mounts are for a flat surface and there isn't any to the lid. So maybe tightening them too much started the whole process. Hope you have a better experience than I did. Though it is nice to have it to carry some things.
The mounts are for flat surfaces but as stated in the instructions you need to make sure that all 4 mounts are exactly 90° perpendicular to the surface. That was the hardest part of adjusting all four at 90° and making sure that all 4 were touching the top. You don't have any height adjustment to fix a leg that is not touching.

After reading about yours cracking the top I have decided to only put my sleeping bag on the rack and it weighs less then 5 lbs. On my HD Ultra Classics I always put my sleeping bag on the rear seat and tail bag on the rack and never had any problems. The smart thing to do is the sleeping bag on the rack and the tail bag on the rear seat.

Thanks to all for the information!

·
Registered
645 Posts
This isn't the first report I've heard of the trunk plastic cracking. It never seems to be due to the rack, but there are always issues when loctite is used. It seems to dissolve the plastic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Yamaha rack on my 2009 (6 years) and it has not cracked.. however I have to admit I have never put more than around 10 lbs on it

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been wanting to buy this luggage rack. Been holding off doing so. What do you guys think now that you have had it awhile? Has it shown any cracking?

I bought my Voyager used and it already had the rack on it. No cracking that I saw. I have had the bike for 3 months/5k miles and still no cracking.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been wanting to buy this luggage rack. Been holding off doing so. What do you guys think now that you have had it awhile? Has it shown any cracking?
I have only had mine for a couple of weeks so I can't say how it will be for long term. I will be going camping in just a week so I will see how it handles the load of my sleeping bag.

I think that if you are very careful when installing this rack and make sure that all 4 leg bases are exactly 90° to the lid where they touch and that all 4 touch with no rocking at all you will be fine. If the legs are not perpendicular or not all of them touching when you tighten the allen bolts you will be putting stress on the lid that will cause cracks later on.

This rack has 1/8" thick rubber washers that are on both sides so no metal will touch or compress against the ABS. As others have said here I would stay away from Loctite or any other chemical that could weaken the plastic over time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Jim, not sure if anyone else has commented but man, that is one heavy air mattess!

I just completed a 14 day 4500 mile road trip with my tent and sleeping bag on the pillion seat and my blow up air bed in the side bag along with clothes, tool kit, pump, essentials etc.

I bought the Klymit Summit air bed, rolls down in its own bag to the size of a beer can and weighs probably about 1lb. You can blow it up with twenty puffs, real comfortable ( I went for the 3" thick version) and declare and roll it back up in about 5 minutes.

Of course if it's you and the good lady you will need two, but certainly Very compact and worth the extra cost.

Hope that helps some,

Russy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts