Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought kuryakyn iso grips(black) to replace the stock grips on my 2014 vaquero. You have to take the switch housing apart on the throttle side. The problem I'm having is loosing the top screws. I've tried tapping lightly, with a hammer, on the top of the screwdriver but still nothing. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Use a #2 screwdriver. It's a bit bigger and make sure that you have a high quality screw driver. I stripped one and had to have it extracted. It was a real pain in the butt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought some ISO grips as well, but I don't know how the passenger grip comes off. Figured I would ask before I caused any real damage. I don't know if my current grips are stock or not, but the bar end seems to be threaded, but I can't turn it either way. Was going to try it with some Vise Grips, but figured I would ask before then.

Attachments

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
The left side is usually put on with some type of glue. Right side just locks in with the housing. I had a little trouble as well with the screws. I used a little larger screw driver and applied pressure to the back of the housing while pushing on the screw driver. I went with the Avon grips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Left side unscrewed anti-clockwise on my Nomad, had to use multigips. Wrecked the end knob but it was just chrome plated plastic anyway. I went with the Avon Air cushions with the Racnray mod.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think you'll find the left side grip chrome cap is actually reverse threaded... so it'll unscrew clockwise rather than anti-clockwise. After you get that off, push a thin screwdriver or hacksaw blade between the grip and the bar to break the grip of the glue, and the grip will twist off.

I had to cut the threaded end off my Nomad left grip to fit first Kury, then Avon grips on there, but the Voyager bars are short enough so that the new grips (it came with Kury, I installed Avons) fitted without issue. I find the Avon's are a much nicer feel and diameter... but each to his own.

The top screws for the housings are very soft, and they're locktited OEM, so the right sized screwdriver is a must. I've modified my last six sets of grips * over two bikes with a PVC DIY quick-turn throttle as well, which requires some Dremelling inside the housings to make a little more room.

* (My Voyager came with Kuryakyn grips, I modded those, then modded plain Avons, then heated Avons, then crashed the bike, and modded a second set of heated Avons. I first tried it on Kury's, then Avons on my Nomad... I can just about do the quick-turn mod in my sleep by now.)

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
That's the problem with us on this side of the ditch Peg- we get all our directions stuffed up. All I could remember was it was backwards or something.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The original posting in this thread is several months old. At any rate, Japanese "phillips" screws are actual JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws. They are fatter and shorter than phillips. Using a phillips screwdriver to remove a very tight JIS screw will result in it stripping. It's handy to keep a couple of JIS screwdrivers around for your bike projects. Here's a link to show the difference:

The Japanese Phillips: JIS Screwdrivers ? revlimiter.net

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
The original posting in this thread is several months old. At any rate, Japanese "phillips" screws are actual JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws. They are fatter and shorter than phillips. Using a phillips screwdriver to remove a very tight JIS screw will result in it stripping. It's handy to keep a couple of JIS screwdrivers around for your bike projects. Here's a link to show the difference:

I have always been suspicious of the phillips head drivers fitting the screws on metric bikes. I just thought it was because their screws were designed with metric spes. Never did I know there was such a thing as JIS screws. Thank you for sharing this information. I just ordered a set of drivers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I realized the original post was old, but I wanted to try and stay in the topic. All good information. I said Kurayakan ISO grips, but these grips are from Ebay for $25 for the pair. They said they would fit Vulcan 1500's, thought I would give them a try.

Chrome Hand Grips Throttle Boss for Kawasaki KZ Vulcan 800 1500 1600 2000 Ninja | eBay

Just wondering if anyone else has tried these or experienced any problems. If not, I'll report back in case anyone wants to know.

·
Registered
99 Posts

wow never really thought about it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts